DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help setting this deck up.. its a little more complicated than any other one i messed with. i tried to do it threw the deck but just cant get it and the i personalize i cant figure out how to use. all i have right now is a set of cadence 6.5 comps and stock rear speakers hooked to the deck for now. can anyone help me out with how to change the xover and eq settings?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have read it, still cant figure it out. i have always had a screen so i could see the eq while i was adjusting it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You're adjusting for what you're hearing, not what a screen shows you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i messed with it some more and went off another guys settings that were kinda like mine but still here bass, which band do i need to tweak? here is what it looks like. just the last box. im using the 5 band eq. thanks again

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do these look right? i have 6.5 comps in the doors and stock 5x7's behind me. no sub for now

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You need to be making these adjustments in the car with familiar music playing, preferably not pop music as it's too compressed and processed. Nobody can look at your i-Personalize tables and tell you it sounds good to your ears.

Your front crossover needs to be less than 100 Hz. 125 Hz is more appropriate for 5-1/4" or smaller speakers. I'm not sure if those settings will do anything if you're not using the RCA pre-outs. You'll know if you have the crossover too low if the speakers distort with bass if you turn the volume up high.

On the parametric EQ the level(dB) line is where you raise and lower the volume of certain frequencies. The width, or Q, changes how much frequencies around the selected frequency also get changed. This also needs to be changed in the vehicle because you can't set your EQ with numbers off the Internet and expect it to sound good to you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was in the truck messing with it.. im using the 7 band eq, each band has +/- 6 to adjust.. and the xover has 3 settings. low,mid,high i set those 3 as well. it sounds better than it did. still have some bass though and the first 2 bands on the eq are set to -6.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
ok so i messed with it some more and went off another guys settings that were kinda like mine but still here bass, which band do i need to tweak? here is what it looks like. just the last box. im using the 5 band eq. thanks again

Starting at the crossovers, bring front and rear to 80hz, use the highest slope you have 24db if you have it. Your sub does not have a slope on it which is why you are having issues with too much bass. Put the sub on a 24db slope. 36db if you have that.

On the eq you have only selected the Q you haven't actually cut anything. Use the eq to cut 2-3dbs around the 80-100hz, 400hz, 800hz, 2.5-3khz and then the 6-8khz range. Use wider Q's at the 2.5-3 and the 6-8khz. This is something you will have to do by ear. Get it sounding the way you like it.

You also need to use the TA. Measure the distance to each mid and the sub in inches (front and rear in your case) and then use the conversion chart in your manual to convert it into ms. Leave the sub at 0 and input delay for the other speakers.

I'm not sitting in your car so this is more of a rough guide to get you started.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
sqnut did you get my pm?

i dont have a sub.. that is turned off in the options i just showed that pic as a example, just showing the parametric eq settings. what do you mean i havent cut anything yet?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Yes I did and I asked you what frequencies can you set whith the 7 band eq. I'm assuming that with the 7 band you get 7 fixed frequencies that you can adjust and with the 5 band you get to choose which one you adjust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup.. with the 7 band you can adjust from -6 to +6 on each of the 7 bands... with the 5 band you can adjust each bands freg,slope and lvl.

same with the crossover you can adjust the low,mid and highs freq,slope,lvl

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Did you activate the slope on your sub? Any progress with the TA? For the eq stick with the 7 band for now, till you get used to using an eq. On your 7 band eq you can basically select 7 frequencies between 20-20Khz, in 1/3 octave steps. You can start as follows:

Band 1 - 80hz set to -2db

Band 2 - 315hz set to ~ -3/4 db

Band 3 - 630hz set to -3db

Band 4 - 1.25khz set to -2/3 db

Band 5 - 3.15khz set to -3/4 db

Band 6 - 6.3khz set to -3/4db

This is guess work, the idea is for you to get started and eventually it's about what sounds good to you. Get used to playing around with the eq and you will start picking up differences. Set the sub and TA issues first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts