DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. this is my first post. Greetings to all and thanks for your help. Im from Argentina so please excuse some of my english.

My setup:
- HONDA Civic 1994 Japanese
- Alpine 9887
- JBL GTI Component 6.5 MKII - FRONT
- JBL GTO 607 - REAR
- INFINITY 7541 AMP
- SUB ROCKFORD FOSGATE 10 PUNCH
- ALPINE MRP-M500
- Capacitor BOSS le
- Cables 8 GAUGE audiopipe from battery to Capacitor, but rigid common power cables from capacitor to each amp.

Alpine 9887 Setup :

SYSTEM : 4.2ch (F/R/Sub-W)

Crossover Level: BASS 0 - MID (-2) - TREBLE (-7)
Crossover Slope : No idea what to put in here, i have all in FLAT
Crossover Filters: LOW : 80 HZ - MID - 100 HZ - HIGH 160 (K?) HZ

EQ: I have increased the bass and lowered the highs as they were killing me, I even put the JBL GTI crossover to -3! Mids are a little laid back.

POWER icc: OFF
SUBWOOFER Level from Rotatory: 10 out of 15
SUBWOOFER channel: Stereo

My first problem is that I recently installed the ALPINE MR500 amp and I am getting so few bass from the rockford, i previously had it bridged on the infinity and there was so much more bass. I now have to turn the GAIN and BASS on the MR500 to almost the top to get even less bass than i had with the infinity amp, theres definetely something wrong in the installation isnt it?

Am i setting the crossover filters ok?

Any other options you would change to get improve the subw bass and the sound in general?

Regarding TIME CORRECTION i chose 17 cms for the front left...im not very sure about this, maybe theres a standard for a civic that you can recommend me?

thanks for your help!
from buenos aires.
Daniel

·
Registered
991 Posts
daniel.... take a deeeeeeeep breath... relax... & just take a minute....

ok.. let's back up...

your front JBL 6.5 MKII's.... let's start there... where are the 6.5" woofers? on the factory door locations? where are the tweeters? did you wire everything through the Infinity 7541 amp for the FRONT speakers? Did you wire in the passive crossovers?

with the JBL GTO607 rear speakers, I assume they are just wired through the deck/head unit power? or are they off the Infinity amp as well?

Finally, the Alpine MR500 is, I hope, on the sub out rca's & is a true sub woofer amp, correct?

You hvae good stuff... let's figure out how to get it all set/lined out...

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, didnt expect a reply so early. thanks. Its great to be able to share the passion, really. :)

JBL GTI woofers are on the doors, correct. Tweeters are fixed on the "little plastic triangle where the windows starts , dont know how you call it. they are not facing me but they are more like each tweeter is facing each other.

7541 only for JBL MKII? Nope , but i thought about it. Infinity is powering those and also the GTO607. Before that the infinity was also powering the Fosgate, and sound was horrible from the MKII , not enough power i guess. (but more bass than with the alpine now! hehe)

I dont still understand what is a passive and active crossover i have to read about it. If a passive crossover is the ones that came with the MKII then yes they are wired from the amp and then to the mKII woofers and tweeters, the crossovers are inside the CIVIC doors.

Alpine V-Power MRP-M500 1-Channel Amplifier is the model. I might have to check if the RCA are correctly taken out of the ALPINE 9887 , but I guess they are because the speakers sound ok. I think the guy who installed this for me put the positive to negative and viceversa from the alpine amp to the rockford so i fixed that but still not much bass.

thanks ROB, i have good stuff i guess like you say, it took me a lot to bring these things from USA so i will take your advice for a deep breath and peace down, because the system is not sounding very good.hehe

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Good luck Chadok. I have the Alpine 9887 and I'm a beginner. But it's already made a world of difference with my factory speakers through the use of x-overs.

I'm gonna watch your thread to see if I can get any ideas from your build.

Just to note...I think your Alpine amp has enough power to drive your sub. Perhaps you've mistakenly used the wrong cross-over setting for the output to your Alpine?

Either way, there's lots of variables and TX could walk you through this better than I. Again, good luck and hope your system ends up to be exactly what you were hoping!

·
Registered
991 Posts
really... i am not a dick... but knowledge is gained from sharing & learning...

if you are using the amp to run front(passive) & rear coax... then you have the HU set basically right...

on the 9887, you want to set the REAR... HP crossover at least @ 200hz. I would start setting the FRONT crossover @ 80hz...... the sub.. 80hz

from there.. trust your ears. what music are you listening too?

time alignment is WAY down the road.

you need to get the basics right for YOUR EARS then the rest will come..

I know I come off strong/ass-hole like.. but... the bottom line is YOUR ears are what matters..

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, will try today what you tell me.
BY the way, i want to clarify, I just like musical and not booming bass , im not trying to make the bass be heard by neighbours, just inside my car maybe as much with feeling a little punching in my back.

sorry to repeat, but thats not happening with the fosgate anymore ...

I listen to whatever music is good in any style, but mostly rock pop, blues and reggae in the car. i also like jazz and classical, country, and more.

When I insert the Michael Jackson cd HISTORY that is a golden cd with excellent sound, the drums sound incredibly well with the GTI's , JBL is really excellent for drums.

Anyway, today i might take the car to the installer guy to see if he realizes whats wrong... i dont think he will, thats why i searched for help here heh

so you mean TIME ALIGNMENT, that i should setup it later? thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok... Try this:
I assume you connect your 9887 output on the back of your HU: front, rear and low to your amp. You can either use the 9887 build-in Xover or the one from your amp. If you use Xover from your amp, then you have to set everything flat. I prefer using the HU Xover so I can control everything when I tune. If you do this, then you have to bypass all amp to full range. (disable the crossover from your amp). Once you decide which Xover you use, start setting the HP for front speaker around 80hz. LP also 80hz for the sub. I personally don't like real speakers because the more speakers you have, the more interference you will have. if you have already installed the real speakers, try to set LP around 2000hz. (If you use 9887 Xover, you have to switch to 2.2ch [3 ways mode]. set hp to flat and LP to 2000hz for real speakers). This setting will bring your music up front.

After setting everything to your preference, adjust your TA. Read your 9887 manual how to set or try to find TA adjustment from this forum if you don't know how to set it.

Adjust it until you hear your music, low bass everything coming directly from front and focus on the center of the dash. Then, you are all set.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok... Try this:
I assume you connect your 9887 output on the back of your HU: front, rear and low to your amp. You can either use the 9887 build-in Xover or the one from your amp. If you use Xover from your amp, then you have to set everything flat. I prefer using the HU Xover so I can control everything when I tune. If you do this, then you have to bypass all amp to full range. (disable the crossover from your amp). Once you decide which Xover you use, start setting the HP for front speaker around 80hz. LP also 80hz for the sub. I personally don't like real speakers because the more speakers you have, the more interference you will have. if you have already installed the real speakers, try to set LP around 2000hz. (If you use 9887 Xover, you have to switch to 2.2ch [3 ways mode]. set hp to flat and LP to 2000hz for real speakers). This setting will bring your music up front.

After setting everything to your preference, adjust your TA. Read your 9887 manual how to set or try to find TA adjustment from this forum if you don't know how to set it.

Adjust it until you hear your music, low bass everything coming directly from front and focus on the center of the dash. Then, you are all set.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts