DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

alpine 9887 issue

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  rahul 
#1 ·
so just bought a 9887 and i realized i had plugged the rca's in incorrectly. i had the rca's for the sub plugged into the Front Ouputs and the rca's for the mids plugged in the subwoofer outputs. so i switched the rca's around and now im having issues. when i had the rca's hooked up incorrectly everything sounded GREAT, but i started getting a headache from the bass so i went into the options to turn off the subwoofer and when i did i noticed my mids turned off. so i knew right away the RCA's were switched. After switching the RCA's im getting little to no response from my subwoofer. the 9887 is set up for F/R/Sub and i had the gain on the sub amp turned to about 3.5v. what could be causing this issue? when i have the RCA's switched the sub is ridiculously loud...

#2 ·
If the RCA's had been switched before it should have extremely obvious, long before you went in to the menu to turn off the sub. You'd have had no bass from the subs, and the mids would have sounded like **** with absolutely no midrange or treble.

Something tells me they were right originally.

#3 ·
You have a very nice HU w/ infinite adjustability, congrats.
If you did not have any of the low and high pass filters turned on you were just outputing 3 full range signals you could have very easily had your RCA cables switched and never have known it untill you went to adjust the sub volume. At this point I would hope that you relized that you were adjusting the volume of your front or rear speakers.

Unplug the rca's to your sub and rear speakers.

Fade all the way to the front and verify all is good.
Turn on the high pass filter for the front, set the slope to 24.
Turn the filter down until you hear distortion, then bump it back up a little.

Plug in the rear rca's and fade to the rear and verify again.
Turn on the high pass filter and repeat above.

Now set the fader to your liking.

Go get a tape measure, and set the time alignment for the 4 speakers.
Measure to the farthest speaker and write that down. Now measure to the next closest speaker, subtract and enter the difference, do that 3 times.

Now plug your sub back in, set the sub volume to 6 or 7, which is right in the middle.
Adjust the amp input voltage to your liking.

This will get you up and running and in the ballpark.
I hope that this helps.

#4 ·
thanks with your advice i solved most of the issues. but i do have 1 issue that i cannot figure out. whenever i shut the car off or the deck off the sub makes a loud "Boom" i never had this issue before so i dont know how to solve it. the gain on the subwoofer amp is completely down to 7volts i believe and i have the level on the deck set at 7 for the sub.

also another question when you mentioned filter the mids and lows im guessing that meant to go into the crossover feature and after adjusting the slope and level i adjust what frequency the cut offs are for the particular speakers right?
currently i have it set for High - 80 hz on a 24 slope
and low i have it set for 80 hz on a 24 slope.
so im guessing it will filter 80 up for the highs and 80 down for the sub right?
also is a 24 slope suitable for the sub? thanks for your help

#6 ·
the amps are shutting off when the head unit shuts off. only issue is when i turn the car or deck off the sub makes a "THUMP" noise.
also i got the RCA's corrected now, just swapped RCA's at the amps and its fine. i was just lazy when installing the deck to check the rca's just went off my memory and it ended up being switched. so i got the RCA issue taken care of. and i am running the F/R mode

#12 ·
Try Re-grounding the amp
Yep, I'm feeling that. Most amps will turn off pretty quick and the alpine hits the muting FETs AS SOON AS you hit that power button, switch modes, etc.

Which begs the question, do you get a thump as soon as the volume hits zero, or changing modes, etc... all of these things engage the muting FETs of the headunit, muting the output.

#15 ·
The yellow wire is hooked to constant power and you are certain of this correct? red switched? This whole shutting off a while after the head-unit shuts down is kinda strange.. almost as if there is some parallel capacitance on the remote line holding the amp on.

#19 ·
i have the same problem with my 9887 too. Prior to 9887, used pioneer 8600 and alpine 9883 and had no issues with turn on/off pop.

still have the 9833 and since they use the same loom, put the 9833 back in and no pop what so ever. however the 9887 does sound better

my amps are audison lrx 1.1k and 2.9... so i'm guessing its a mismatch between the 9887 and the lrx trigger timing. looking towards a stinger pop eliminator.. hopefully that will fix it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.