DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an Alpine 9835 in the past and loved it. So I have nail it down to these two options. Car is 2006 Honda S2000. Not looking to change out the factory speakers but I am adding 2-8 inch subs in a custom fiberglass box.

your help is much appreciated

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my 9835. :)

My neighbor recently bought the CDA-117 and its an awesome unit. Only down fall which both him and I are used to is the motorized face (117 doesn't have it)

From what I've read on specs, the 9887 seems to have some more control over sound tuning than the CDA-117.

Each to his own. Both are great head units.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
the cda-117 seems to add brightness in the high frequencies when I used it, I was running some focal krx2 components, and I have had an eclipse cd5030, cda-117, and the 9887, and sound wise I liked the 9887 and cd5030 the most. However, the cda-117 does have the usb port.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
No, the imprint tuning is not going to make much difference. A good EQ and some decent HP filters are all you need.

But since they are a similar price, if you can find a 9887 then get that. If not then you can spend less on HU and get speakers.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ive found that the advanced sound controlling features of the 9887 can take a mediocre set of speakers and really step up what they can do.

in my 99 intrigue (POS) I had previously installed alpine type s 5.25's and 6x9's run off the stock HU. When I got the car and put my 9887 in, I found that using the built in tuning features I was able to get the car sounding pretty darn good considered it had a total of $100 worth of speakers installed.

The 117 has the same time alignment features as the 9887, but it's Parametric bands and graphic EQ have different specs in terms of frequencies that are adjustable and on the parametric the Q that is available.

What the 117 is completely lacking are the 9887's crossover capabilities. This is what made the system in my Oldsmobile shine. I was able to band pass my 6x9's to play 30-315hz and to high pass my 5.25's with steep 24db/octave slopes.

Although I haven't diven into it too much in this car, what I found to be another amazing feature was the separate left and right eq's available in the 9887. That made a huge difference in the sound in my Mazda.

You get all these features if you use the imprint kit as well, I'm pretty sure.

Just don't think just because your system is very basic that it can't benefit immensely from the tuning capabilities alpine has to offer.

The downside to the 9887 is that there is no USB support. It works great with my ipod, and the bluetooth is good too using the external alpine bluetooth unit.

Overall it depends on what's more important to you...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you have convince me to go with the 9887 and since I loved the my old 9835 which never let me down for 5 years until my car was totaled.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Before my 9887 I ran a 9833 that I also loved. Whlie the 9887 doesn't have the same tactile feel the 9883 does (it "feels" a little cheaper) the extra tuning features more than make up for it. Don't forget that you could get all the same tuning features by adding the imprint kit to any alpine head unit and using it in manual mode

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before my 9887 I ran a 9833 that I also loved. Whlie the 9887 doesn't have the same tactile feel the 9883 does (it "feels" a little cheaper) the extra tuning features more than make up for it. Don't forget that you could get all the same tuning features by adding the imprint kit to any alpine head unit and using it in manual mode
does the 9887 let you search for songs with the ipod connected?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Search how? On the ipod itself? NO. You have to use the knob/menus on the deck itself. The ipod just shows "Alpine" on the screen when it's connected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you play a cd on the 9887 you can search for songs or go through the list of songs with the knob.

I'm guessing the 9887 doesn't show what song is playing when connected to an ipod.

One more question. Does it charge your ipod?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Once the ipod is hooked up to the 9887, there is no using the ipod controls.

It does display all the ID3 tag information on the display, up to two lines at a time. It also charges the ipod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts