DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Planning on installing an old Alpine MRV-F353 (5-channel) this weekend in my 2003 Honda Pilot. I am going to bridge the 4 speaker channels to my front components and use the 5th (sub) channel to power a sub in the stock location in the rear. The 5th channel is only stable in 4 ohms and is rated at 100W RMS @ 12 volts and 150W RMS @ 14.4 volts. I'm planning on using a brand new Alpine SWS-1023D. Will this be a good combination? It doesn't need to 'pound', I'm just looking for something better to listen to and take advantage of an amp I have sitting under my bed. I had the amp tested and it is fully functional. I am limited on sub depth in the stock location (4.75 inches with a spacer ring).

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I had one of those for a while, actually ran it on quad 12s IB at 8 ohms lol. Great amps they just are not that powerful at 50w/ch. If you want more bass try to do the typical things like larger sub, ported box, more subs, efficient sub (usually lower power subs are), those things will get you more bass for the power you have. Unless you think you will upgrade soon to more power then you might as well buy that big sub now, it will just be quieter on less power. Most small box subs take more power because they are inefficient and need more to get loud. That is how you make them sound good in a small box unfortunately.

If you are using a stock box or location and are limited to what you can use, I would look for other threads on what was done there or start a new one for that particular sub/vehicle. Otherwise that amp worked great for me the SQ was good, it went as loud as other 4x50 I had in there which is not much different from 4x70/4x75 I also ran in there. Finally a 4x125 did go louder, no doubt there. This 10 does not look like a bad pick if that is all you can fit but I've not used one.

On the other hand if you dropped the 300rms max on that sub its not going to be that much louder than 150 this amp has, 3dB, you notice it but not a big deal. You could run another amp to do that but those are limited gains. New amps rated CEA are at 14.4v.

Another option is a guy posted a powered MTX 12 box at PE for $99, not a bad deal at all for amp/box/sub combo. You could even get two of them, the advantage is you could put plugs on them and remove when you needed to.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-132&utm_source=googleps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I had seen you once owned that amp when I came across some posts of yours while searching the past few nights. Thanks for the link, but I really am set on putting something in the stock area. I have gathered as much information I can about the install at this point on my vehicle, just trying to pick a sub. Do you think the sub I'm looking at will be adequate? Should I worry about either the amp or sub damaging one or the other? I think I can 'borrow' an Alpine MRV-T503 from a friend if it would make a difference with that sub. Based on your response it might not be a large difference though. It's been a long time since I've done an install. Trying to keep things simple at first, and get the wires and connections made. I figure it's not too difficult to get a new amp if I need a little bit more power.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
should be fine. are you wanting to keep it all alpine? or would u be open for suggestions on a different sub?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm open to other suggestions. Requirements are 10 inch, and mounting depth of 4.5 inches (or so) or less. And I need to pick it up since I'm installing this weekend and don't have time to order it for delivery.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I'd think that sub would work, of course I have no idea what enclosure you have there. 300w sub on 150 is not bad, it should be more efficient than a higher rated sub. I like Alpine stuff, but subs are pretty competitive there are lots of similar good subs out there. I ran an MTX 4510 and it was impressive on 150rms for a single 10 in .8cf. It didn't go that loud but FR (frequency response) was good it actually got sort of deep. I still have it for a spare its 225rms rated. It sounded pretty good with a 4x50rms on highs, but could not get crazy with bass. However I ran some 12s in 1.25cf and they would go louder but sounded worse in FR. While the tone may be different with another sub, unless you go high power with a large amp odds are dB will be similar.

That amp; they bridged two channels inside that is why its only 4 ohm, it is already bridged. I like the SQ of those old MRV though and they are built like bricks, I have a few here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really know what enclosure I have either. It will be made out of metal, and it's probably more than 1 cubic foot. I'm going to try and seal it with silicone but I doubt it will be airtight. It's a factory location above the rear passenger tire. I don't have an MTX dealer anywhere near me, so MTX is out.

I really like these amps too. I also haven't been following mobile audio for more than a few years so I always revert to V12s.

Thanks for the help, of course nothing is ever as easy as you want. I'm bringing the 353 to the Alpine dealer tomorrow to listen to the sub. If I don't like it I just won't buy it and will be back to square one I guess.

Ryan

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I had comps in front and coax rears, then the quad infinity 12s wired to 2 ohms. So I had to rewire to 8 ohms to run the subs. It actually sounded very nice, still made the bass down to 30 and less Hz easily. I had to crank the sub level way up but it would keep up with the highs ok without clipping, at 8 ohms lol. I had taken out my kicker 700.5 to run it, 420rms on the subs was a different world it shook the roof/trunk/etc.

I'll guess it made ~100rms on 8 ohms, but the quads IB were pretty efficient I guess. I would guess it will work fine on that 10.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Thanks for the help, of course nothing is ever as easy as you want. I'm bringing the 353 to the Alpine dealer tomorrow to listen to the sub. If I don't like it I just won't buy it and will be back to square one I guess.

Ryan
if u dont like it, see if u can fit the polk MM1040, i was very satisfied as far as sound quality. its shallow, but not sure if shallow enough

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Suffered a setback last night. The old Alpine amp manual I found on Alpine's has the size of the amp at 9 7/16 x 2 1/6 x 10 5/8, which would fit under my front seat. Tried fitting it under there and it doesn't fit like I thought it would. Measured the amp and it's actually more like 15 5/8 x 2 3/8 x 11. Very disappointed. Based on installs I've found on a Honda Pilot forum a 10 x 10 footprint works very well under each of the front seats. So I am not doing an install this weekend. I guess I'll start thinking about and reviewing new amps, but won't be buying any this weekend.

I appreciate the Polk sub advice, I think it would fit so I'll keep that in mind if/when I decide to move on with this project.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts