DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both being held for me, I just want the better meaning cleaner of the two. This will be tied in to my JBL MS8 by the way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the Alpine, because the ability to use an iPod through the head unit's interface is not something I could ever live without again.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't be using an iPod, just straight CD and possibly satellite radio. I was going to order the Nakamichi CD 700, but then I would be in the same boat. Too many bells and whistles for my needs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
no sat radio with the Nak unless you go aftermarket sat receiver and use an aux input (can't remember if the nak has one though). JPS

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow with the Nak, I really am going old school lol. Well I wanted simple and clean so I will need to integrate the sat receiver into my custom console. As far as whether or not it has aux, you know us we will find a way. :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I won't be using an iPod, just straight CD and possibly satellite radio. I was going to order the Nakamichi CD 700, but then I would be in the same boat. Too many bells and whistles for my needs.
I like bells and whistles, so I have to vote for the alpine!

(am I the only one who finds it funny that he doesnt want ipod,CD only, but will consider sat radio :p)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main problem for me is POOR radio reception where I am. My other cars run OEM equipment with sat, yet this project car doesn't have it. So either I am stuck listening to whatever will play at that moment or go sat to give myself some other option. The factory HK radio is nice but even it has really poor reception.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I was just poking a little fun :p

total polar opposites in terms of sound quality

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, no harm I just wanted to explain so that i can get the help that i am in need of :)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I like many have become a slave to the ipod which is why I no longer run nakamichi. However Alpine is almost always my last choice because of all the **** you have to go through to "add" anything! I HATE IT! (aside from that they really are great though:)
No ipod, and running sat via aux in.....N A K A M I C H I all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (imo of course;) The had a reputation for being quirky but I never had any real issues with them and I have owned just about everything they made in the mid 2000's. I have no clue what "bells and whistles" your talking about with the cd700??? About as plain jane as your gonna get aside from mcintosh/denon! If you can get a cd700 and your playing cds mainly then you would be insane not to get it!!! Its definitely my #1 deck of all time! Cant imagine anyone not loving the sound of the 700 (or 500, 400, etc....)
just my 2 cents though. In my opinion the 117 shouldnt be in the same discussion if your talking cd + sq!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I said bell and whistles so I chose the alpine. the NAK is too plain for my need of techfoolery!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I said bell and whistles so I chose the alpine. the NAK is too plain for my need of techfoolery!
NO, no, not you....the op said the 700 had to many bells and whistles..... (unless I read it wrong?)

I am in the same boat....I have to many needs for the bells and whistles myself.....thus making anything nak, mcintosh, denon, etc.... extremely far from practical. Technology's a ***** :) But the 117 is a great fit for a lot of those needs (as is the ken995 and a few others).

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Nak will have the better transport, but if you listen to anything other than CD's, the Alpine is a no-brainer (between the two), imo.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First I want/need simplicity as far as the day to day operation of the radio. Several of my clients use my car and I don't feel the need to have to explain how to do this,that, or the other to operate a radio. My last several hu were Kenwood DNx 99880 HD, def several options there. For this car it has to have simplicity as well as sound good. Now if this isn't that radio, please feel free to suggest another, I am not obligated to install this once it arrives. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
First I want/need simplicity as far as the day to day operation of the radio. Several of my clients use my car and I don't feel the need to have to explain how to do this,that, or the other to operate a radio. My last several hu were Kenwood DNx 99880 HD, def several options there. For this car it has to have simplicity as well as sound good. Now if this isn't that radio, please feel free to suggest another, I am not obligated to install this once it arrives. :)
It will be simple and easy to use! Turn on put a cd in it plays press source it switches to radio! Press one if your presets and listen! Turn the nob clockwise and you get more volume!!!
It has three sets of preouts front, rear, and sub with adjustment!
It's just a plain looking easy to use headunit no fancy stuff but great sound!
It's pretty much the same as the cd400 but will play mp3 and has changer control!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends on what your goal is with your system. If you're going to use the tuning ability of the 117 (i.e. time correction or Imprint) go with /////Alpine. The Ai-Net allows for system expansion too, say PXA-H701/800 (if the 800 comes to the 'states in '12). It's been over 20 years since I've done anything with Nakamichi, but they had the best tape transport since the TD-700/1200. If the NAK has a better DAC and you're not going to expand your system, go with it. I'm sure either will sound good. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all the Nakamichi will be delivered today. It in turn will be paired up with my JBL MS8, my two JL Audio amps, and my Focal speakers.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nakamichi has been delivered, thanks to all for being so informative. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts