DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Boston Acoustic Pro Series 6.5 Components up front and a JL10W7 in the back...

I have my tweeter and midbass wired directing into my jl 450/4 amp, bypassing the passive xover that came with my components. Since I will be using the active 3way xover built into my headunit.

Here's my xover settings, can you guys let me know if this is a good starting point or any suggestions to improve my sound quality.

HPF [email protected]/oct
Mid-High [email protected]/oct
Mid-Low [email protected]/oct
LPF [email protected]/oct

The specs in the manual says that the midbass is capable of going down to 50Hz, but Im afraid to cross it that low without destroying them. Please help. I also have the 5band parametric EQ and Time Correction in my headunit that I haven't set yet either. Should I get my xover settings correct first before anything else is configured?

Also when using the active xover that is built into my headunit, I must set my amps xover to give my speakers the full-range right?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I talked to a B.A. guy a while back and he mentioned offhand the the passive crossover points are underlapped for the pro's. You might want to check that out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the steep slopes makes everything abit too 'clean' doesnt it? prolly u can try to put the slope at 12db for the tweets and midbass. Subwoofer @ 24

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
It seems your chosen crossover points are safe, but they may not be ideal.

I think 24db on the sub and midbass highpass is probably ok, but I'd consider 12db on both the mid low pass and tweeter high pass. I'd even try maybe some underlapping between the mid and tweeter and see if it smooths the overall response.

Underlapping mean crossing the mid and tweeter and different points like say 2.5khz on the mid and 3.2khz on the tweeter. It's install dependent, but sometime that can really help tame nasty peaks that occur in that region.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, let me explain my setup. I have a g35 coupe, and have the tweeter is mounted in the factory location, by my sideview mirrors and then my mids are located in the door panels by my ankles. So I would say the tweeter and mids are probably about 2-3ft apart...

So the goal is to get as much sound I can to the front stage correct? I have no rear fill. Only rear fill I have is my subwoofer. I will play around with those settings you have mentioned to see what I can get. If i get my xover settings perfect then I will not need to mess with my Parametric EQ or any of that except maybe for the time correction? I am trying to get a very clean sounding system.

I have a 10w7 JL with a jl500/1 and a jl 450/4 for my components up front. 75 watts to my tweeters and 150 watts to my mids. Hope this is enough power for them.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Your power is fine. The thing with system tuning is that it can take weeks easily to get everything dialed in.

The easiest thing to do though, is try to identify the trouble areas then tweak the settings for each issue, then move onto the next one then the next and so on. The order in which things should be addressed is level matching between speakers first. Once that seems ok, then work with crossover settings and slopes, then eq and t/a. Sometimes it might even be necessary to go back and tweak levels or whatever a little more after you've made other adjustments.

I think I spent probably over a month dialing in my last system. I'd think it was fine, than after careful listening, I'd find something else that needed attention. I finally did get it pretty good and left it alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts