DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I checked the RCA outputs on my Alpine CDA-9847 with a LDS Dactron Photon II (Dynamic Signal Analyzer). Checked both the front and subwoofer outputs (L/R) with no load (i.e. not connected to the amp) and the car not running. I ran a 0dBs 1kHz sinewave for the front channel and a 0dBs 60Hz sinewave for the subwoofer channel. All eq/boost was zero'd and the subwoofer level was turned up to 15.

Front Channel:
VOL 35, clipping

VOL 29, no clipping

Subwoofer Channel:
VOL 35, clipping

VOL 29, no clipping

Next up will be testing with the amplifiers connected and playing at minimal gain to speakers.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Would love to give that unit a try.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Aren't alpines known for not putting out anywhere near they're claimed voltage? Probably all source units but I'm just mentioning alpine because that's what your testing and it was also the one tested in the thread I read.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I find this interesting, seeing how I have a 9847 on the shelf in the garage. I own Chad's old 9855, and I believe he said it doesn't clip at 35/35 either.

edit: d'oh, realized mine is a 7894. but the 9855 still doesn't clip :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool device. Is the input sensitivity auto ranging?
Auto ranging input sensitivity, no. You set it before you start the measurement. The Photon is a dynamic signal analyzer, so its a little different in operation than an oscilloscope. I had my input set to 10 V range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts