DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
461 - 480 of 775 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I notice that when you crank the treble and bass up on the H/U it sounds like it compensates and lowers the volume of the tweets (running 3-way). It's almost like an auto adjusting loudness control. Anyone notice this? Heck first the system noise and now this, what the hell :mad:.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have not noticed any system noise at all.
Me neither, no system noise whatsoever.

I did a little research and found someone else from Crutchfield reported the noise thing:

"great sound
Written By Paul, Fredericksburg, VA on Friday, February 08, 2008

Great Product. Couldn't believe the sound. The only reason this product gets 4 stars is:
Slight hiss in between tracks that sometimes seems evident during songs.
Can only choose 2 eq curves.
Bass is much quieter. Depends on music.
If you can handle these things, buy this product. It sounds much better than anything else that cost much more. I really enjoy listening to the music. Music is clear with volume all the way up. "

Not sure what the deal is, I haven't notice any hiss or anything like that even when i crank up the volume to really loud at 25~28.

I think I read somewhere in the 9887 manual that if you're playing music CD, there is an option somewhere to select CD-DA playback only, or you can try to switch it to CDDA/WMA/MP3 option and see if it help.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I notice that when you crank the treble and bass up on the H/U it sounds like it compensates and lowers the volume of the tweets (running 3-way). It's almost like an auto adjusting loudness control. Anyone notice this?
I have not really noticed myself, but I thought I read in another thread that boosting bass or treble can reduce the rest of the spectrum to prevent the line out clipping. Might have that wrong tho.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Me neither, no system noise whatsoever.

I did a little research and found someone else from Crutchfield reported the noise thing:

"great sound
Written By Paul, Fredericksburg, VA on Friday, February 08, 2008

Great Product. Couldn't believe the sound. The only reason this product gets 4 stars is:
Slight hiss in between tracks that sometimes seems evident during songs.
Can only choose 2 eq curves.
Bass is much quieter. Depends on music.
If you can handle these things, buy this product. It sounds much better than anything else that cost much more. I really enjoy listening to the music. Music is clear with volume all the way up. "

Not sure what the deal is, I haven't notice any hiss or anything like that even when i crank up the volume to really loud at 25~28.

I think I read somewhere in the 9887 manual that if you're playing music CD, there is an option somewhere to select CD-DA playback only, or you can try to switch it to CDDA/WMA/MP3 option and see if it help.
Thanks, I forgot all about that setting. I will have to change it and see if it makes a difference. I will also have to check and see if the noise is present with the iPOD as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have another question. Has anyone tried to send the two curves to the H/U, disconnect the cable and leave the program running, play the H/U and then reconnect the cable and send the 3rd curve that wasn't sent the first time? I hate that I can't A/B/C test all three but even worst to have to re-run the test to but the 3rd curve in memory.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I saw a description of midrange comp, but can't remember. You can try searching, but it seems to me it is a cut centered around 1khz. It can help with some very midrangy sources like most punk/underground albums.

The Crutchfield forums have some helpfull posts about tuning with Imprint written by an Alpine Trainer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thought I'd post the links since I finally got down to searching for these mystical Crutchfield Alpine Trainer links:

Thread: http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/thread/32684.aspx

Great tutorial post: http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/post/32684.aspx

and a quote about curves on page 2 of that thread:

Good tips...this is the reason why I bought the tuning kit so that I could 'play' around with it.

Here is something I recieved from Chris @ Audessy:

"The target curves we use come from our research over the past few years at USC where we have a lab that focuses on understanding what the right curve is for different environments.

So, Audyssey Reference is flat out to 10 kHz and then has a slight roll-off out to 20 kHz. This is a standard curve used in home theater setups, but also in many of the cars that we have tuned.
Midrange compensation is a dip that is introduced in the 2 kHz region to make up for the drastic differences in directivity between the tweeter and the midrange driver. Many times the summation between these two drivers has problems and this intended to address those. I suggest that you start with it engaged.

Audyssey Flat is just that: flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. In most cases this will be too bright, but some people prefer that so we provide it.

My recommendation is to start with Audyssey Reference and Midrange Compensation.

The mic locations for the Driver seat should be in a small area that is about the size of the head. The exact positioning is not critical. The first measurement should be at the center of the head and then I would move 3" to the left and right of that and one more about 3" in front."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks, I forgot all about that setting. I will have to change it and see if it makes a difference. I will also have to check and see if the noise is present with the iPOD as well.
Let us know if that setting do anything, if I remember correctly the 9887 manual did mention something about trying out either of those playback mode if noise is present when playing certain recording.

I have another question. Has anyone tried to send the two curves to the H/U, disconnect the cable and leave the program running, play the H/U and then reconnect the cable and send the 3rd curve that wasn't sent the first time? I hate that I can't A/B/C test all three but even worst to have to re-run the test to but the 3rd curve in memory.
I think I tried it the first time and got an error, one thing I know for certain is that whenever i disconnected the HU cable to try out the new curves, the Imprint software would not do further measurement again after I reconnected the cable back into the HU, I had to close it out and reopen the imprint software for it to detect the interface again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This was also posted in the same thread, has anyone tried this? I didn't sift through all 40+pages of this so sorry if it's already posted:

"I may got the solution on the problem with very low bass.

Before measuring I adjusted the EQ to -7 in band 1 and 2.

I believe that the Imprint KTX-100EQ uses these sound adjustments when it figure out the perfect sound :)

Adjust bass as low as you can in every settings..

Use Imprint... transfer the settings...

Now the sound is mutch better...

reset the low bass values setting after you have done the Imprint

This is a bug I believe, but a usefull one... the sound in my car before was awfull..

Stein Riise

Norway

CDA-9887, Focal 6.5" x 4, no Subwoofer Mercedes E240 W210"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thought I'd post the links since I finally got down to searching for these mystical Crutchfield Alpine Trainer links:

Thread: http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/thread/32684.aspx

Great tutorial post: http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/post/32684.aspx

Thanks for the link, i ran the Imprint again with 5 positions as suggested by the Alpine tech instead of only 1 position, but the same way I set the gain on both comp and sub amps as before, I thought the imaging and sound stage were already pretty good, but now they are even more define and solid, with no loss in mid to low end impact. Before, when I lean my head slightly to the left or right while driving...imaging tend to break apart and shift a little, now they're rock solid, the new run with 5 positions also smooth out the curves much better than previous measurements, I'm impressed!!

I loaded Reference and Reference with Mid to the HU, the latter is slightly warmer and laid back, sound stage appear to be deeper and about an inch or two lower, I prefer the latter for very strong vocal recording (ie: Celine Dion stuff), otherwise I use the Reference for everything else. It's a night and day difference with and without the MultiEQ. I have not notice any sibilance from tweeters like someone else experience, DLS stuff are pretty laid back and smooth so I left the tweeter jumper to the highest level in the passive x'over network. I'm really digging this Imprint unit :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I find that when you get it right, it is really amazing. I have done it enough that it is repeatable within the limits of external noise interfereing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm thinking I should calibrate again and load the linear and the reference with mid range comp.

Right now the reference destroys my ears with Infinity components and so I've left it on linear and gotten quite accustomed to it.

Oh and the sound stage seeming lower cuz of the mid range comp is perfectly normal, 2khz is a standard norm for stage height adjustment when manually EQ'ing too!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm thinking I should calibrate again and load the linear and the reference with mid range comp.

Right now the reference destroys my ears with Infinity components and so I've left it on linear and gotten quite accustomed to it.

Oh and the sound stage seeming lower cuz of the mid range comp is perfectly normal, 2khz is a standard norm for stage height adjustment when manually EQ'ing too!
crank up your component amp gain higher than normal, rerun the test and let Imprint smooth out the top end for you, then turn the gain back down to where you wanted it afterward. or you can attenuate the tweeters from x'over network no?

·
Registered
101 Posts

How does EQ'ing 2khz adjust the stage height?? I am really interested in this as I really want to raise my stage. Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
crank up your component amp gain higher than normal, rerun the test and let Imprint smooth out the top end for you, then turn the gain back down to where you wanted it afterward. or you can attenuate the tweeters from x'over network no?
The tweeters are straining, I think they are just crossed over too low or blew a little bit from being run off HU power by the previous owner. I don't care, I'm getting rid of them this spring and never using Infinity speaks again....

·
Registered
87 Posts
This was also posted in the same thread, has anyone tried this? I didn't sift through all 40+pages of this so sorry if it's already posted:

"I may got the solution on the problem with very low bass.

Before measuring I adjusted the EQ to -7 in band 1 and 2.

I believe that the Imprint KTX-100EQ uses these sound adjustments when it figure out the perfect sound :)

Adjust bass as low as you can in every settings..

Use Imprint... transfer the settings...

Now the sound is mutch better...

reset the low bass values setting after you have done the Imprint

This is a bug I believe, but a usefull one... the sound in my car before was awfull..

Stein Riise

Norway

CDA-9887, Focal 6.5" x 4, no Subwoofer Mercedes E240 W210"
That is how I've set mine prior to my last couple of runs. I've noticed that it does, indeed improve bass response, but it is still nowhere near the bass that I guess we are just accustomed to hearing. I read in another thread where someone says to adjust your bass settings all the way up where they normally would be before running Imprint...this goes against all the other advice I've read, so I guess the answer is that we each have to find out exactly what works for our setups.

461 - 480 of 775 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.