DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

My Alpine CDE-122 car stereo is giving me a headache with some MP3 files that are "Unsupported" (actually, "Unsupport"). I have no clue why. If I have to redo the MP3's, I can, using ffmpeg, but I need to know what the problem is first.

Anybody know why this is happening?

Anybody know how I can fix this? I'm assuming this is a software/meta tag issue with the files.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Hi folks.

My Alpine CDE-122 car stereo is giving me a headache with some MP3 files that are "Unsupported" (actually, "Unsupport"). I have no clue why. If I have to redo the MP3's, I can, using ffmpeg, but I need to know what the problem is first.

Anybody know why this is happening?

Anybody know how I can fix this? I'm assuming this is a software/meta tag issue with the files.

Cheers
I'm not positive that this is the issue, but your head unit may only support "CBR" MP3 files...i.e. "Constant Bit Rate" files set at 128kbps, 192kbps, 256kbps, and 320kbps, etc.

Check the owner's manual online for what type of files are supported for playback. And note that this is sometimes different when playing MP3s burned onto a CD vs. playing them via the USB memory storage input.

Some earlier MP3 players and head units will not support VBR/ABR bit rate files... i.e. Variable or Automatic Bit Rate.

These types of files and codecs were created to use even less storage space on the memory drive.

While the song is playing, this "variable bit rate" codec or algorithm will keep the bit rate only as high as is needed at a particular point in the music to maintain a certain level of file playback quality.

The bit rate will constantly change as the file is played and will be lower during simple sections in the song, and higher when the song gets more complex (the chorus for instance).

See if the files that are giving you the "unsupport" error are VBR or ABR files.

And make sure that you use a file converter/ripper that uses the "LAME" MP3 encoder.

It might also have something to do with the ID3v2 metadata tags in your files, but this usually is not a problem.

I'm guessing that it's a VBR/ABR bit rate compatibility issue. Try ripping/converting just a few MP3 files from one CD. Rip a few different songs with CBR, and a few with VBR and/or ABR. Make a note of which songs are CBR and which are VBR/ABR. Only load those files onto your MP3 disc or USB Thumbdrive and see if they all play without any problems, or not.

Oh, and sometimes it may just be that the particular files that will not play are placed within too many levels of sub-folders on your memory storage device, i.e. too deep in the file/folder hierarchy.

Try placing ALL of your "unsupported" files in just one folder in the root directory of the memory storage, or all of them in the actual root directory of the drive or disc, and see if that works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not positive that this is the issue, but your head unit may only support "CBR" MP3 files...i.e. "Constant Bit Rate" files set at 128kbps, 192kbps, 256kbps, and 320kbps, etc.

Check the owner's manual online for what type of files are supported for playback. And note that this is sometimes different when playing MP3s burned onto a CD vs. playing them via the USB memory storage input.

Hi there. VBR's work, but my library was massive and it had a boatload of issues including VBR Header problems. My file system is a single directory deep. Anyway I "repaired" them, and going to see if they are fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts