DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I spent a while searching before making this post but could not find the answer. So please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

I have a DVA-9965 HU. It has 2 RCA sub outs which according to the owner's manual are L & R.

I will be using a PDX-4.150 amp in 3 channel mode to drive 2 full range coaxial speakers in the doors and a separate sub-woofer.

The PDX-4.150 manual has a couple of "Typical Installation" scenarios. One of them is mine. From past experience, I know that when you bridge 2 channels they need to see a mono signal. The "Typical Installation" image shows an "imaginary" Alpine head unit the discrete L & R sub outs connecting to Channels 3 & 4 of the PDX. The sub is then driven by Channel 3 "Positive" and Channel 4 "Negative" speaker outputs which I assume accomplishes the bridging.

So now that all that has been laid out on the table, my question is:

Are the L & R Sub Outs on the DVA-9965 actually the same mono output for the sake of convenience when using an Alpine amp? (In effect eliminating the need for an external Y adapter)

My confusion stems from the graphic of the 3 speaker Typical Installation graphic in the PDX instructions. The main wiring diagram shows Sub-out L&R from a fictitious Alpine HU going to Amp In Ch. 3 & 4.

But below is another graphic warning of the mono signal needed for bridging. I'm guessing that is Alpine's way of saying "Do this for a non Alpine HU".

If anyone doesn't have access to a PDX-4.150 PDF in order to help, let me know and I'll find a link to one.

Thanks in advance everyone. I tried to be as succinct as possible without be overly complex in describing my issue. Hopefully I succeeded. :)

Cheers,
Hugh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the answer so I'll post it here for someone's benefit in the future. The Alpine DVA-9965 L&R sub outs are indeed identical mono signals. Perfect of using with a bridged sub amp that requires signals on 2 channels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts