DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
at least someone is FINALLY using fully balanced XLR inputs and outputs. that alone is a HUGE step in the right direction for car audio.

no mention of all pass filters on DSP tho
otherwise seems like a rather solid Alpine F1 system as a follow up to the previous ones.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
at least someone is FINALLY using fully balanced XLR inputs and outputs. that alone is a HUGE step in the right direction for car audio.
Lots of companies have it or had it… just nobody followed through with it in terms of sources Brax, Zapco, Sinfoni and few others have it or had it just nothing to connect it too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
the only XLR products i have ever seen as made for 12 volt industry were the adcom amplifiers and the concurrent adcom line driver. all the others were proprietary. so no, i do not think "lots of companies have tried it", including the ones you mentioned

·
Registered
715 Posts
The last video they posted talked tech eventually will trickle down to other products so I’m waiting for that to happen. I’m sure this gear properly installed will sound amazing, but that’s a hefty price tag for most to handle.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
the only XLR products i have ever seen as made for 12 volt industry were the adcom amplifiers and the concurrent adcom line driver. all the others were proprietary. so no, i do not think "lots of companies have tried it", including the ones you mentioned
Sinfoni has it on there amps….

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks like you don’t need it as there is a usb input on the HU so you could use your iPhone etc instead…

The player is an A&K with additional software to, among other things, allow it to talk with the head unit.
The head unit has a 2nd USB but no software to recognize your phone. They put it there for using a thumbdrive to play files. The DSP has 6 ch of RCA in, so you can feed whatever sources you want in through that.
The player comes with the package anyway, so it is a moot point. And yes, you do only get it as a package; the sole option is a second 10". Probably a large reason for the package deal, all or nothing theory is (other than trying to control and and maximize the end result) being able to better manage supply line and production. Everything is made in specific quantities to fill a complete package. Especially with today's fun, I suspect that was a big driver behind them doing that.

(This info is from the dealer kick-off meeting yesterday)

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s interesting - time will tell how successful it will be at that price - I assume $35k is a lot even in the US because it’s freaking ridiculous here converted to our currency…

I would assume the target market is Asia as they have the cash to blow unlike anywhere else - I suspect they won’t sell many in the US even the previous gens didn’t have large sales numbers - the Gen 3 is substantially more expensive and even more proprietary than Gen 2 which was the gripe with that unit…

Guys who have big systems may not want to dump everything at 50 cents to the dollar to spend $35k on a new system… I dunno guys with Brax amps and DSPs and Utopia M speakers at 50cents to the dollar will still need to fork out another $25k to get into a F1 system…

It may be a bridge too far…as a lot of guys like this don’t just buy everything at once which is what Alpine is expecting you to do..

It’s gonna have to blow your mind to write that Cheque for $35k…

$35K is a boat load of money in the US as well. You're talking the price of an upper-middle tier sedan... a brand new subaru WRX STI sticker price is 35k... and at 35k that's just the equipment and not even considering labor. Alpine is estimating upwards of 80+ hours of labor to install... so now we're talking 40-45k installed... So we're talking mercedes-benz c-class money..... for a car stereo. The only customer base who's going to consider that is going to have to be driving a $200,000+ vehicle. Otherwise, who would put in a stereo system that's worth more than their vehicle? even a 100k vehicle, you're almost at 50% the value of the vehicle...

As others have mentioned, its a complete mistake only allowing this to be purchased as a complete system.... 99.999% of customers do not have the kind of money to drop 45k off the rip.... Alpine is targeting the 1% with this one

·
Registered
730 Posts
Even if they were to sell it separately, and for the sake of argument the $35k total price was divided into $5k for the DAP, $10k for the HU/DSP, $10k for the amps and $10k for the speakers.

Who would realistically buy these components? Would Alpine NOT be targeting the 1% in any case? Who is ready to drop $5k on a DAP? Or even the $3500 for the Astell&Kern original version? Instead of $500-700 on a FIIO? You would still exclude 99% of the market.

I don't think they are making any mistake at all selling it as a complete set only. The customers are ready and willing. Yes, it will probably end up in fleets of Bentleys and Mercedes G-wagons, not in 20 year old Honda Accords. But there are still thousand upon thousands of customers that can drop $50k on a stereo like I drop $25 on a pizza.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Even if they were to sell it separately, and for the sake of argument the $35k total price was divided into $5k for the DAP, $10k for the HU/DSP, $10k for the amps and $10k for the speakers.

Who would realistically buy these components? Would Alpine NOT be targeting the 1% in any case? Who is ready to drop $5k on a DAP? Or even the $3500 for the Astell&Kern original version? Instead of $500-700 on a FIIO? You would still exclude 99% of the market.

View attachment 310287
View attachment 310286

I don't think they are making any mistake at all selling it as a complete set only. The customers are ready and willing. Yes, it will probably end up in fleets of Bentleys and Mercedes G-wagons, not in 20 year old Honda Accords. But there are still thousand upon thousands of customers that can drop $50k on a stereo like I drop $25 on a pizza.
You drop $25 on a Pizza? What’s it made out of? Truffles? Lol

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
As others have mentioned, its a complete mistake only allowing this to be purchased as a complete system.... 99.999% of customers do not have the kind of money to drop 45k off the rip.... Alpine is targeting the 1% with this one
I disagree, in that the way they designed the system, much of really doesn't lend itself to separate sales. The speakers, sure. The amp, sure. But, then the XLRs are a benefit to some, a problem to others. The headunit, DAP, DSP, all really need to go together. At that point, they want you to use their stuff to fully realize the potential. At least they HAVE speakers and an amp. First gen, they'd gripe, but if pressed admit they really probably didn't want you running a 7990 or a PXA-H900 with their $500 speakers and V12 amp. No, it was Dyn, 1st gen Utopias, or what have you...and Mac, Zapco, and the like or better. Who knows...a year or two in, the amp and the speakers may become available a la carte.
In the past, if you did all F1...it was bucks. Gen 2, the "head unit" (a transport with buttons and a display, really) only worked with the DAC or the DSP...and they had to have the head unit hooked to them to work. Now, you could do the speakers and amp with whatever. And the sub designed to work with them by the U.S. market ended up labeled as Type X. Gen 2 was definitely bucks up...not 35 large, mind you, even adjusted monies...but I still called it F1 $tatu$ and used to joke it cost a thousand dollars to even mention it.
But this is a really high end 2ch system...and a chunk of the folks who get it will have serious high dollar 2ch home systems. A few years back at Knowledgefest Dallas I heard the Grand Utopias with a stack of Naim electronics. Streaming audio player, preamp, dual monos, power supply...with cabling it was a million dollars. Not something you sell everyday, but, people out there buy this stuff. And Alpine is not expecting to sell many of these, from what I am hearing. But, they'll move them. And I suspect some of them at least will use different subwoofer solutions (odds are high if I do one, it will be in a truck...we see a LOT of trucks! so it will have to be something that fits under a seat unless their usage of the truck permits me raising the seat). They know this. Steve Brown joked that "yes, you can do a wall of subs with your F#1 Status if you want to!" But, at it's core, its a 2ch system for folks who want ultimate fidelity (or to be able to say they have it...sometimes people do buy stuff they don't fully appreciate just to say they have it!), with a very neutral low end, less than what a lot of 12v types expect. And, as Alpine will be involved in the tuning at least for each dealer's first kit, it will be a very predictable, controlled outcome (think Apple, in that respect).
And, as the name conveys (the line was initially going to be called F1, until Formula 1 racing said no way in hell, so Alpine added the tiny # and the Status), F1 also serves as a "racing program." Many of the things they did in the first two gens impacted product for years. The first type X components actually reached the market before the F1s did...sold per channel, HUGE, very flexible passives, made in Denmark...we all knew they foreshadowed the F1 speaker project. And X series speakers continue to this day. The CDA-7990 actually had a DVD grade mech. I personally think they goofed by only putting a CD laser on it, since the PXA had Dolby and DTS decoding. But, the DVA-7996 DIN DVD player used the same transport...and played DVDs. The IVA-D900 used it as well...and had the same (at the time) high resolution LCD panel that would eventually be revealed as the TMA in F1's 2nd gen. Both of those radios had optical out, too. (guess who never paired an 'H900 with a '7990?).
They'll get, I think, what they want from the project. Including trickle down benefits to the more mortal products. It may also help drive awareness of better source files; and may spur other manufacturers to develop higher end gear. I think it will also result in a number of very good sounding systems using top tier gear, from people who hear the F1 demo or other high end demo vehicles, appreciate the results, but don't want to spend say $50k+*, but now suddenly realize that $15 -25k makes sense for what they want to achieve.
I agree it is aimed at the 1%, but, wait a hair, wouldn't surprise me if they (or someone else) comes up with something still pretty tasty at a more reachable price.

*the kit is $37500, if you want the 2nd sub (and you will, especially if you have coupe or sedan, much less a German one!). You have to integrate it into the vehicle, for when you want FM, want to hear nav prompts, etc etc...so you need an external preamp for that or at least if there isn't one, a FiX or similar. This system fits nothing as far as speakers dropping into stock locations. A dealer asked during the first roll-out meeting "what install was expected to be" which is a hard to answer question, as the vehicle itself, what the client wants for cosmetics, and even regional labor prices all factor in, but Chris Teguh off-the-cuffed it as "probably in the neighborhood of 80 hours."
You gotta do something with the head unit face plate, and hide the brain somewhere. Come up with a mounting solution for the DAP, so it can get plugged in; you have two largish amps and a Nimitz sized DSP that need homes. Plus the speakers. You'll have a sub enclosure...roughly 3 cubes for the pair of 10"s. The client will like as not at least want the electronics install to look stock, even if it is not highlighted, so you'll have some time in that. And many will want something fancier in that regards. A few bucks for copper and brass; Alpine provides the signal copper but you still need to feed DC to everyone. And I can't imagine not backing the damping truck up and emptying it into something getting this gear. Plus, lets not forget the tuning. Lots o' bands of parametric! So, you're easily at $50k, easily.
Plus, you might want a slightly more visceral bass. You might want the dealer to get fancy and have the option for rear at times. $50k is looking short, the more I go on.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I disagree, in that the way they designed the system, much of really doesn't lend itself to separate sales. The speakers, sure. The amp, sure. But, then the XLRs are a benefit to some, a problem to others. The headunit, DAP, DSP, all really need to go together. At that point, they want you to use their stuff to fully realize the potential. At least they HAVE speakers and an amp. First gen, they'd gripe, but if pressed admit they really probably didn't want you running a 7990 or a PXA-H900 with their $500 speakers and V12 amp. No, it was Dyn, 1st gen Utopias, or what have you...and Mac, Zapco, and the like or better. Who knows...a year or two in, the amp and the speakers may become available a la carte.
In the past, if you did all F1...it was bucks. Gen 2, the "head unit" (a transport with buttons and a display, really) only worked with the DAC or the DSP...and they had to have the head unit hooked to them to work. Now, you could do the speakers and amp with whatever. And the sub designed to work with them by the U.S. market ended up labeled as Type X. Gen 2 was definitely bucks up...not 35 large, mind you, even adjusted monies...but I still called it F1 $tatu$ and used to joke it cost a thousand dollars to even mention it.
But this is a really high end 2ch system...and a chunk of the folks who get it will have serious high dollar 2ch home systems. A few years back at Knowledgefest Dallas I heard the Grand Utopias with a stack of Naim electronics. Streaming audio player, preamp, dual monos, power supply...with cabling it was a million dollars. Not something you sell everyday, but, people out there buy this stuff. And Alpine is not expecting to sell many of these, from what I am hearing. But, they'll move them. And I suspect some of them at least will use different subwoofer solutions (odds are high if I do one, it will be in a truck...we see a LOT of trucks! so it will have to be something that fits under a seat unless their usage of the truck permits me raising the seat). They know this. Steve Brown joked that "yes, you can do a wall of subs with your F#1 Status if you want to!" But, at it's core, its a 2ch system for folks who want ultimate fidelity (or to be able to say they have it...sometimes people do buy stuff they don't fully appreciate just to say they have it!), with a very neutral low end, less than what a lot of 12v types expect. And, as Alpine will be involved in the tuning at least for each dealer's first kit, it will be a very predictable, controlled outcome (think Apple, in that respect).
And, as the name conveys (the line was initially going to be called F1, until Formula 1 racing said no way in hell, so Alpine added the tiny # and the Status), F1 also serves as a "racing program." Many of the things they did in the first two gens impacted product for years. The first type X components actually reached the market before the F1s did...sold per channel, HUGE, very flexible passives, made in Denmark...we all knew they foreshadowed the F1 speaker project. And X series speakers continue to this day. The CDA-7990 actually had a DVD grade mech. I personally think they goofed by only putting a CD laser on it, since the PXA had Dolby and DTS decoding. But, the DVA-7996 DIN DVD player used the same transport...and played DVDs. The IVA-D900 used it as well...and had the same (at the time) high resolution LCD panel that would eventually be revealed as the TMA in F1's 2nd gen. Both of those radios had optical out, too. (guess who never paired an 'H900 with a '7990?).
They'll get, I think, what they want from the project. Including trickle down benefits to the more mortal products. It may also help drive awareness of better source files; and may spur other manufacturers to develop higher end gear. I think it will also result in a number of very good sounding systems using top tier gear, from people who hear the F1 demo or other high end demo vehicles, appreciate the results, but don't want to spend say $50k+*, but now suddenly realize that $15 -25k makes sense for what they want to achieve.
I agree it is aimed at the 1%, but, wait a hair, wouldn't surprise me if they (or someone else) comes up with something still pretty tasty at a more reachable price.

*the kit is $37500, if you want the 2nd sub (and you will, especially if you have coupe or sedan, much less a German one!). You have to integrate it into the vehicle, for when you want FM, want to hear nav prompts, etc etc...so you need an external preamp for that or at least if there isn't one, a FiX or similar. This system fits nothing as far as speakers dropping into stock locations. A dealer asked during the first roll-out meeting "what install was expected to be" which is a hard to answer question, as the vehicle itself, what the client wants for cosmetics, and even regional labor prices all factor in, but Chris Teguh off-the-cuffed it as "probably in the neighborhood of 80 hours."
You gotta do something with the head unit face plate, and hide the brain somewhere. Come up with a mounting solution for the DAP, so it can get plugged in; you have two largish amps and a Nimitz sized DSP that need homes. Plus the speakers. You'll have a sub enclosure...roughly 3 cubes for the pair of 10"s. The client will like as not at least want the electronics install to look stock, even if it is not highlighted, so you'll have some time in that. And many will want something fancier in that regards. A few bucks for copper and brass; Alpine provides the signal copper but you still need to feed DC to everyone. And I can't imagine not backing the damping truck up and emptying it into something getting this gear. Plus, lets not forget the tuning. Lots o' bands of parametric! So, you're easily at $50k, easily.
Plus, you might want a slightly more visceral bass. You might want the dealer to get fancy and have the option for rear at times. $50k is looking short, the more I go on.
Well $37500 off the bat is divorce money for most DIY enthusiasts ….

A lot of top end systems run between $10-20k but that’s bought over time some new some used…

I can’t see many people buying this setup if I had to be honest - maybe Asia and Japan…

They would sell more products over time if they sold them individually… I would love to know how they deal with replacements etc like if someone stole the HU could I get a new one without buying the whole system?

Time will tell how successful this version will be - I think the Gen 1 and 2 versions will receive a revival in popularity because of the Gen 3

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
There were amps with balanced inputs way back, but with differen connector type, probably because of space requirements. Amps like SS DaVinci, HumanReign, Zapco and many more. Not sure if there is much of a advantages with this type of signal in the car - only benefit is canceling of inducted noise and higher voltage of input signal,....mothing else, and if you have DSP/amp in close proximity then even that inducted noise might not be an issue to deal with, probably something that almost doesnt exists in 99,5% of all car audio systems id install is done as it should technically be done..... But it is a great marketing move, that a lot of people will fall on. Similar to Brax MX pro with toss link inputs - it was hot debate for a month, and then all the sudden everything quiet until then.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well $37500 off the bat is divorce money for most DIY enthusiasts ….
True, very true. I have a truly understanding wife...if I came home with the bill for this new system...yeah...Lovecraft would shudder at the horrors to ensue...

A lot of top end systems run between $10-20k but that’s bought over time some new some used…
I'll agree with that; particularly the price point. You can get a very good sounding, accurate system for under 10k (assuming a proper tune) in stock speaker locations. 10 - 20 opens up relocating the fronts and moving into some really cool gear, especially I'd think with some used thrown into the mix (I'm obviously much less familiar with that side of the market).

I can’t see many people buying this setup if I had to be honest - maybe Asia and Japan…
Alpine North America agrees with you, from what I am hearing from them. Probably a big part of what drives the cost up; only so many units being forecast.

They would sell more products over time if they sold them individually… I would love to know how they deal with replacements etc like if someone stole the HU could I get a new one without buying the whole system?
Again, selling the 4ch and the speakers a la carte can make sense, and may happen (me speculating; they've said nothing other than as of now it will be the whole system or nothing); but the player needs a head unit that speaks its language. As does the DSP. They COULD do a controller for it, but, if you aren't feeding it ultra super mega res files...("they've gone plaid!")...you lose a lot of the specialness.
Again, it would not surprise me if they have stuff in a year or two that is very similar but more modular, and less money. Trickle down. And you will see things from it crop up in the proletarian line over the next few years.
The 'H900 gave rise to the H700/701. And the 'H800. And even the new PXE-X09. The '7990's transport graced a few DVD heads. And their regular CD mechs probably benefitted from the lessons learned in a few ways. The V12s that followed the F1 amps had a triple Darlington front pair of channels. F1 is sort of self indulgent, high $ research study/feasibility study/vanity project. Because they can. And if they get to sell a few while their at it, so much the better (and provides justification for the expenditure)! I think the long term fruit is the main payoff for them, other than being able to point to it as an accomplishment.

Time will tell how successful this version will be - I think the Gen 1 and 2 versions will receive a revival in popularity because of the Gen 3
Dang it, I shoulda hung on to my Gen 2 stack! Although, it did get me the car that houses my Utopias and much of the cash that let me put them there. Watch my buddy flip it, and make a grip. Bastidge is good at that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It will be surprising at how many of these will likely get sold, considering how much expendable cash it seems is out there for people to spend. It seems the market can consume as many hypercars as can be built so something like this is a small number for a 6 or 7 figure car or a person that can afford such things. I think it's great for the industry that ultra-high end/cost equipment is still being made by manufacturers.

When the 1st gen F#1 was around, a shop in Kelowna BC sold over 20 F#1 systems in one year which is extremely impressive given the cost at the time and demographic of the area. At one show in the area I attended around 2005, one guy had TWO H990 processors in an mediocre install of a mid-80's Cutlass.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If any of you folks are interested in the original Alpine F1 Status system, I have a lot of that gear I need to part with. I have multiple processors (H990-I think 5 or 6), (2) DVD players, Two in-dash screens and a boat load of cable, The processors were bought as back up for the dual processor system I had in the Benz. If you are interested in more info you can PM me. I am going to start a exact inventory today.
Trust me it will be priced to move quickly. I have no need for it any more.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts