DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
I know the director of R&D at Alpine. You can thank him for the selection in frequency response curves. He is a strong believer that iterations of this response curve sound the best. He gets offensive when you question his judgement. Even though you do it politely and honestly (made that mistake on more than one occasion). In his defense, he spent years in research developing this back when he owned his own consultant company. He performed hundreds of tests with live subjects to develop it. The response may not be for everyone, but, a majority of his test subjects said it sounds the best.

He developed a measurement system to more accurately model in-vehicle response. This is called the PTF measurement system. The mic array assembly looks like a head on a stick which can be moved with linear actuators. Alpine purchased the rights to this technology when he took the position. I'll bet this processor is based off of it.

I tuned my last vehicle to such a curve using the PTF measurement system. With proper time alignment this response correction can sound DAMN good. Mind you, his super duper powerful PTF machine is probably quite a bit more advanced than this $300 piece of hardware. Perhaps it could help me achieve what the H650 can not? But maybe the H650 captures a lot of it too.

I'm also guessing that the multiple mic positions they recommend (but I guess did not publish clearly) follow a certain pattern he has used before. This compensates for multiple size operators in the driver seat and various head position. Not for people sitting all over the car.

Ge0

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
Not to stroke egos here, but npdang speaks the honest truth.

oneiztoomany, that's a typical response from a typical audio shop with a typical customer base who wants their stereo to "hit hard and sound good". When presented with a potentially revolutionary new product, the knee-jerk response is to disregard it as either too complicated, unnecessary, or worthless altogether.

A highly-configurable tuning tool (such as any of the Imprint devices, the H701, or the Zapco DC Ref line) is generally best for a customer who has a specific sound goal in mind, not one who can simply accept a shop's word for "hitting hard and sounding good".

Sad, but true. Damn, I sound like a condescending ass.. oh well. :)
Yes you do sound like a condescending ass.
Just kidding. Couldn't agree with you more.

Ge0

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
The MS-8 will also be priced accordingly as it includes amps for each channel, though not very big.. Probably class-d style. More of a one-box solution but capable of upgrade to outboard amps.
I talked to Andy about this. It uses the same analog BTL output devices that my current Harmon designed OEM 8 channel amplifier contains. They are rated at 46Wrms into 2 ohm. Many of you won't get a boner over this but I think they are not bad at all.

If you listen to your music much over 110dB then I'd say add outboard amps. Definitely enough to drive tweets and rear fill.

Ge0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.