DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
yep. It's not a cheap thing, but at least it works well without damaging outgoing sound. Plus Kramer makes different units with different outs options, so you can choose what you want.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
This is really cool!

What is causing the huge spikes on the Bit1 in the THD & IMD tests?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ipod Touch or Ipad + apple digital av adapter with hdmi out

Connect an hdmi -> toslink converter to hdmi out
Connect toslink to optical in on external processor
Connect ipod compatible HU to original apple 30 pin out on apple digital av adapter

You will have ipod control on HU and perfect digital out from it, few Russian guys have tested it :) I'm not sure that H800 will automatically switch to digital in when there's signal on it, but it works on H700.
hmm, this sounds promising :D
I am certainly going to try this! :cool:

·
18,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This is really cool!

What is causing the huge spikes on the Bit1 in the THD & IMD tests?
It's probably a combination of the higher IMD/THD orders below 500hz combined with the 60hz bump due to the power supply. Notice that almost all the other IMD results show this trait. The problem, still, is that the bit1 has a nasty lower end upswing. It makes the harmonics of 60hz show up even more.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

Connect ipod compatible HU to original apple 30 pin out on apple digital av adapter

You will have ipod control on HU and perfect digital out from it, few Russian guys have tested it :) I'm not sure that H800 will automatically switch to digital in when there's signal on it, but it works on H700.
Not exactly on topic here, although not entirely off topic either, but I'll have to try that out with my W505/H900 combo to see if it works. I know that the F#1 processor switches to a digital input when it sees a signal, but I want to see how the HU keeps the iPod source selection intact so you can control it, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Not exactly on topic here, although not entirely off topic either, but I'll have to try that out with my W505/H900 combo to see if it works. I know that the F#1 processor switches to a digital input when it sees a signal, but I want to see how the HU keeps the iPod source selection intact so you can control it, if you know what I mean.
Yup.

Do you or anyone for that matter have the means to test this concept out on an OEM head unit using an ipod integration device? No need to take it further then hdmi to a nearby receiver or something. Just trying to see if idevice control and display stay functional along with the digital output.

Preferably a Dice Electronics MediaBridge that leaves the idevice screen and function active while still controlling and displaying through the head unit. Oh joy! :D

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The Bit1 in the optical test has pretty low THD numbers in the table, but ridiculously high distortion on the graph...

By the way, there is moderate priced A/D converter with -124db SNR from Ti
PCM4222 Evaluation Module (EVM) - PCM4222EVM - TI Tool Folder
Pretty nice solution for measurements of DACs.
That is nice, but very expensive and an over kill. For that price you could get an EMU-0404USB that will let you test in every way under the sun and also has a high enough analog resolution on both ends to remove itself from a CD source's measured results. Call it fully featured overkill. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got 3 pieces of these sitting at home (had a nice deal) - i fix/develop various DACs, and have to have a clue what am i doing with these circuits, measurements wise (sometimes you marginally hear the problem, but unable to track it down to schematics/PCB). E-MU 0404 PCI isn't good enough for the DACs i play with.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've tried the above with an original ipad, and you cannot get digital audio output simultaneously with control from the factory head unit. It works great, but as soon as the ipad sees the control from the 30 pin connector, it shuts off the digital audio, and only outputs through the 30 pin connector. Any ideas guys? This was going to be so cool...:(

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've tried the above with an original ipad, and you cannot get digital audio output simultaneously with control from the factory head unit. It works great, but as soon as the ipad sees the control from the 30 pin connector, it shuts off the digital audio, and only outputs through the 30 pin connector. Any ideas guys? This was going to be so cool...:(
Does the head unit support the iPad? If it doesn't maybe it's that. Do you have access to any other dgital av adapter compatible iDevices, to try out in the same way?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
The car head unit seems to control and utilize the ipad in every other way. I was using an ipod classic, and the only other one I have is a 3rd gen ipod touch. Neither of those work with the AV adapter. I don't have any other iDevices, as I've never had a use for them before. My only reasonable hope at this point is that possibly the 4th gen ipod touch or ipad2 may behave differently. You would think the HDMI output would be live no matter what else is going on, why would this thing behave this way? Frustrated as I've got a bunch of money and time invested in this, and I'm shut down by such a stupid problem at the last minute. One thing that is interesting is that I was getting DTS audio to work through the H800, so I was pumped about that.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The car head unit seems to control and utilize the ipad in every other way. I was using an ipod classic, and the only other one I have is a 3rd gen ipod touch. Neither of those work with the AV adapter. I don't have any other iDevices, as I've never had a use for them before. My only reasonable hope at this point is that possibly the 4th gen ipod touch or ipad2 may behave differently. You would think the HDMI output would be live no matter what else is going on, why would this thing behave this way? Frustrated as I've got a bunch of money and time invested in this, and I'm shut down by such a stupid problem at the last minute. One thing that is interesting is that I was getting DTS audio to work through the H800, so I was pumped about that.
I really hope its something with the or your iPad only. I really have high hopes for this type up setup. Like you, with an OEM head unit and aftermarket ipod controller (particularly a dice electronics media bridge).

Hey maybe you still have an option if all else fails. Assuming your head unit comes with factory ipod control, you could try an aftermarket variety and see if that one works. Doesn't cost a whole lost either.

By the way, what HDMI to S/PDIF extrator dod you go with?

41 - 60 of 98 Posts