DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
So the DSP settings on the HU become redundant with an external DSP like Kicker and Helix?

Once you start, you can't stop, might as well the do the whole car, lol.

It does look interesting but the build quality seems cheap in the pictures, not a lot of weight behind the screen, just plastic, not sure how it would sound. It says two DSP chips! I would definitely need AMP with digital inputs for that one. The specs don't say the output level on RCA. I am assuming less than 2V like the other Android units. My initial intention was to keep it simple but to get decent SQ is a lot more work, I am realising that now.
Was just a suggestion I can’t make everyone happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi here2rock - I’ll preface this all by saying I’m a total noob to car systems….

I’m in Perth and am on the upgrade path for a 2011 ML merc. I have installed the Alpine ilx-507a and it’s a fantastic upgrade with a very high quality screen and very fast Apple car play start up.

I have started to upgrade my speakers with morel tempo 602 mkii components fronts and coax rears.

I tried the head unit as the amp with the in built dsp and to be frank, I am way out of my depth…

I have instead set up the head unit going most fibre with only two channels into the factory HK amp that is then driving all speakers and factory sub amp. I have set a global eq on the HU with no time correction for now.

After many years of motorcycling my right ear has some frequency band issues and I’ll probably struggle to get anywhere near a good auto-eq setup.

I am therefore very interested in this thread as I am contemplating a number of options myself.

1. 2 channel HU out with minidsp 2x4 dirac into factory amp/subwoofer - probably not the best option
2. 4 channel HU out into kicker key200.4 with auto eq and HU sub out to separate kicker sub amp
3. HU to five channel non-dsp amp - alpine or morel - using alpine HU
4. Other dsp/amp auto-EQ amp such as helix

I am almost convinced that I’ll need an auto-eq dsp and a different amp to get the soundstage and frequency response I’m looking for. I’m just not sure if the kicker will be much if any of an improvement over the alpines 40w class d internal amp for driving the speakers - the auto-eq will probably be better than I can do right now.

I see the minidsp 2x4 with Dirac and mic is available through the auction site…

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Hi here2rock - I’ll preface this all by saying I’m a total noob to car systems….

I am therefore very interested in this thread as I am contemplating a number of options myself.
Welcome to the thread.

In the end I decided not to go with Alpine or Joying, instead I went with T'Eyes CC3, mainly it has dual digital output options and I saved a lot of money comparing with an Alpine Unit, this can be used for an AMP if necessary. I have also ordered the SoundSkin for the doors as per the advice I have received in this thread.

So far I am impressed with the sound quality, the HU runs fast, ready to go when I start my car, integrates well with my car and there is sufficient output from the internal AMP of CC3. The built in microphone is a bit of let down. I think it has enough power to the drive the Polk Audio MMC6500 speakers I have at the front. The speakers have outboard 2-way crossover (2,600 Hz at 12 dB per octave) with biamp inputs and selectable tweeter output level.

I am trying to the idea given by bbfoto below:

This would allow you to separately power each of your Polk MM 6.5" midwoofers and tweeters in your front component set, and replace the passive crossovers with the custom adjustable crossovers in the Alpine's DSP. It would also allow you to have INDEPENDENT Time Alignment (Digital Delay) and PEQ for each speaker (and a Subwoofer if you added one later).
I am trying to make the most of the power from the built in AMP in CC3, It has 4 channels of output which is powering the 2 front and 2 back speakers. I want to allocate all the power to front speakers. The factory fitted built in speakers in Toyota are totally crap.

Is this worthwhile doing and achievable? Any guide?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interesting HU - sound deadening, amp and front speakers I reckon will be a huge improvement.
Front speakers are already upgraded, sound deadening on the way. Amp maybe, I might take that route, I would not mind running the front speakers from the HU first, see how it goes. If no improvement then think about installing an Amp.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts