DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying for my last couple of vehicles to get a head unit running digital out to a processor and it seems when it's time for me to put in a system, I've always just missed the availability of a stereo with toslink output. I found the Clarion VX807 listed as in stock, but the vendor called me today to say that don't have it.

I'm now looking at the Alpine W987HD (or 977 leftover) with a converter to get toslink from the HDMI out. Will the Alpine even send all the sound out through HDMI? Will running it through a converter provide a steady, reliable signal, or am inviting gremlins into my system?

For context, this is going into a 2013 F150 XLT crew cab that currently has the 4.2" screen factory stereo with Sync, no Sony. I ordered the Maestro RR2 and K150 install kit/harness when I thought the Clarion was coming. I'm probably going to get the JL VX1000/5i to run 2 way components active (haven't decided which) in front, and for now recycle 2 Polk MM1040s under the rear seat for bass. I'd like to keep as much functionality as possible from the steering wheel controls, and it would be awesome if the factory Bluetooth mic worked with the new stereo.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Try to confirm that you can output audio via HDMI from normal stereo source for that Headunit. Also check for if the HDMI output is limited while vehicle is not in park.

·
Listener of Music
3,015 Posts
HDMI audio adapters work and sound fine. I've done it. Does that Alpine output HDMI at all it just input?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HDMI audio adapters work and sound fine. I've done it. Does that Alpine output HDMI at all it just input?
The W987HD and the prior year's W977HD have both HDMI in and HDMI out. As Bnlcmbcar said, I need to make sure the HDMI out will send audio from all sources, and is not restricted by something like a parking brake check.

For the prices I'm finding on the W957HD plus the cable, I'd rather go with one of the newer units - assuming it will work. Trying to research before spending the $$$.

Good to know the adapter won't be a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very interested in this. I’d like to configure a double din that is Maestro compatible with wireless CarPlay and optical out.

Yeah, I want to check my tire pressure on my radio while streaming music from space, through the phone in my pocket over WiFi, to my head unit and feed a dsp with a Toslink. Shouldn’t be that hard in 2020?

·
Listener of Music
3,015 Posts
Good to know the adapter won't be a problem.
I actually measured the responses from expensive ($100) multiport audio extractors to the $25 Monoprice ones and there was no difference.

That was 8 or 9 years ago too. So I'd expect they are even better and cheaper now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received the INE-W977HD, hooked it up to a PC power supply and parking brake bypass and connected the HDMI to toslink converter to the HDMI out. Nothing. Playing music and video from a USB drive provided no signal from the HDMI output. I connected the HDMI output to a PC monitor and got no signal while playing music and video from a USB drive.

I called Alpine tech support and they said the HDMI output only sends a signal from the separate Alpine DVD player. So, the HDMI output on Alpine head units, that they advertise all over their sales materials, is useless. I'll be returning the head unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts