DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've I use an alpine imprint PXA-H100 unit to run active, do the rear RCA outputs straight from the headunit still work?

The CDA-117 does not turn off the RCA's if an imprint unit is connected active does it?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
when you connect an imprint you have to switch the "normal/ eq dev" switches on the back of the HU to "eq dev" this turns off the RCAs (or rather turns them into inputs) then you use the imprint RCAs to go to your amplifiers.

why would you want to use anything but the imprint RCAs to go to amplifiers anyway? all your EQ, x-over and time alignment goes away, not to mention the fact that since the imprint is a DSP device, it has a slight delay biult in for processing time. even if you could use the normal RCAs, they would be delayed and not sound right.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question has to do with using the imprint active, and AFAIK, when you go active, there is no rear output signal from the Imprint. Using the three way switch, you have Hi, mid, and sub outputs.

So, if going active, what signal would be used to feed external amp channels for rear speakers?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
My question has to do with using the imprint active, and AFAIK, when you go active, there is no rear output signal from the Imprint. Using the three way switch, you have Hi, mid, and sub outputs.

So, if going active, what signal would be used to feed external amp channels for rear speakers?
if you are talking about the H100, then go read the manual. you can setup the front, rear, sub channel in 1 of 2 modes. You have complete control over x-over on each channel (the sub channel has less control since it is for a sub) EQ, time alignment.

I am not sure what you mean by "when you go active" there is no other option. the H100 is a DSP, everything on it is active.

what threeway switch?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have one of these? I did read the manual, and it's not that helpful.

There is a switch on the PXA-H100 where you can choose between 3 way active vs. Front, Rear, Sub output. If I choose the 3 way active setup, the outputs from the Imprint are Hi, Mid, and Low, which would only be useful for a 3 way setup, unless I can setup one of these 3 sets of outputs as full range for rear speakers and the other two outputs for a two way active front setup. This would be ideal, and an answer whether this is how it works or not would be helpful.

On the other hand, if I decided I wanted to "go active" with three way components up front, what would I use to feed external amp channels for rear speakers? I don't think I'm being unclear, but if I'm confusing you, well hopefully someone else will be able to chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Do you have one of these? I did read the manual, and it's not that helpful.

There is a switch on the PXA-H100 where you can choose between 3 way active vs. Front, Rear, Sub output. If I choose the 3 way active setup, the outputs from the Imprint are Hi, Mid, and Low, which would only be useful for a 3 way setup, unless I can setup one of these 3 sets of outputs as full range for rear speakers and the other two outputs for a two way active front setup. This would be ideal, and an answer whether this is how it works or not would be helpful.
no, you cant do that. if you put it into 3-way mode, the you have essentially a 3-way cross-over. just as you said, hi/mid/low. if you want to be able to run a front rear setup, the you have to set it to front/rear setting and then you can set a 60hz HPF for the front and the rear. then the use of passives (or coax speakers) can be used. there is no hybrid mode, sorry :)
On the other hand, if I decided I wanted to "go active" with three way components up front, what would I use to feed external amp channels for rear speakers? I don't think I'm being unclear, but if I'm confusing you, well hopefully someone else will be able to chime in. Thanks.
you really cant. if you want to use it in front/rear mode, then set it for that, otherwise, set it to 3-way. you could connect your rears to the "mid" output since you dont want highs coming from the back anyway.

if you want the kind of flexability you are talking, the H100 is not what you want. the H700/701 or the new H800 will give you exactly what youre asking for.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have an H100 as well and he is correct. It's either 2way plus sub (HP, BP, and LP) or F/R/sub (HP/HP/LP). So you might be out of luck if you don't want to run passive crossovers. Now, if you are not going to be using the auto-tune portion of it and your amps have some crossovers of their own, you may be able to get something to work like you want (assuming you have enough amp channels to start with).

You could set it to 2way plus sub, set your front tweeter high pass at whatever, set just the bottom end of the BP for your midbass to whatever you want (this will also be the HP for your rear speakers). Then set the low pass on your amp for your front midbass channels and leave the rear speakers on full range at the amp, only high passed via the H100 (this assumes you have a crossover on the amp that goes high enough for your front midbass and that you have an RCA splitter or a 4ch amp that can take 2ch input). I hope that made sense.

But, if you want to use the auto-tune, it will crap itself with that kind of setup so don't try, haha.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must say, now that I think about it a bit more, this doesn't seem right. If one uses the imprint module to run 3 way active front components, then you're limited to only a front stage? There'd be no way to run a sub, much less rear speakers.

If the switch on the headunit is left in normal mode, the imprint module does nothing?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I must say, now that I think about it a bit more, this doesn't seem right. If one uses the imprint module to run 3 way active front components, then you're limited to only a front stage? There'd be no way to run a sub, much less rear speakers.
I think you are getting confused with 3way and 2way. The Imprint will let you run 2 way + sub, sometimes people write that as 3 way. You run the tweets, mids and sub off the imprint Hi/Mid/Low. You are correct in that the H100 will not allow you to run 4 way Hi/Mid/Low/Sub.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

If the switch on the headunit is left in normal mode, the imprint module does nothing?
it is designed for a 3-way system. tweeter, midrange and sub. OR front speakers, rear speakers and sub.

if you put it in the front/rear mode. you can run anything you like with passive cross-overs for front and rear. then a sub.

in either mode, you can still use the imprint for it. (although it kinda sucks) you can also manually tune it in either modes.

it is only $125, you cant expect miracles. if you want to have a 4-way system with all the kind of control you are talking about.................get the H700/701 or the H800

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you are getting confused with 3way and 2way. The Imprint will let you run 2 way + sub, sometimes people write that as 3 way. You run the tweets, mids and sub off the imprint Hi/Mid/Low. You are correct in that the H100 will not allow you to run 4 way Hi/Mid/Low/Sub.
Never heard of 3 way front components?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not complaining. Man, ppl seem awful quick to assume things about others in this forum.

It just seems like a limited implementation when at least hardware wise, everything is there for you to use the imprint strictly to go active with the front stage and still have separate outputs for rear channels and a subwoofer.

Thanks all. That's it for me on this one, lest someone else wants to chime in about hey they think I don't know what I'm talking about.

it is designed for a 3-way system. tweeter, midrange and sub. OR front speakers, rear speakers and sub.

if you put it in the front/rear mode. you can run anything you like with passive cross-overs for front and rear. then a sub.

in either mode, you can still use the imprint for it. (although it kinda sucks) you can also manually tune it in either modes.

it is only $125, you cant expect miracles. if you want to have a 4-way system with all the kind of control you are talking about.................get the H700/701 or the H800

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Not complaining. Man, ppl seem awful quick to assume things about others in this forum.

It just seems like a limited implementation when at least hardware wise, everything is there for you to use the imprint strictly to go active with the front stage and still have separate outputs for rear channels and a subwoofer.

Thanks all. That's it for me on this one, lest someone else wants to chime in about hey they think I don't know what I'm talking about.
youre right, they could have........but didnt ;) I wasnt trying to suggest you were complaining, just making sure you understand the limitations of that item its all good :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts