DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it looks like Alpine is launching new head units for 2009 at CES. The emphasis this year was to make the HU's more iPhone friendly and better compability. I guess there are no changes in the IMPRINT line of processors. What are your thoughts or comments?

• iXA-W404: It features a 4.3-inch QVGA touchscreen monitor that more or less mimics coverflow. CEA-2006 Power Rating: 4 Ω @14.4 V ≤1%THD+N, S/N 80 dBA (ref.1 W into 4 Ω), 18 W

• iDA-X305: 2.2-inch color TFT screen, iPhone/iPod compatibility, USB input, built-in 18W RMS x 4 amplifier, three pairs of pre-outs and a 24-bit DAC. Price: TBD

• CDE-102 CD Receiver: USB, iPhone/iPod compatibility, built-in 18W RMS x 4 amplifier (at CEA-2006 power ratings), HP crossover and two sets of pre-outs. Price: TBD

For more info check the links below:

Ces 2009: The iXA-W404 is Alpine's First Touchscreen iPhone Compatible Car Receiver

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

·
Registered
706 Posts
One would think by now, they would put out a new flip up with a sub display :veryangry::rolleyes2::rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why do they require you to buy the imprint to get an EQ on the iDA-X305!? That is a big mistake IMO... I would buy this unit but the lack of sound tuning onboard is really a big sticking point. An extra $180 for the imprint just to tune your sound, Come on Alpine!?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
if it weren't for the PDX's, I'd be finished with them.
If it weren't for their older headunits I'd be finished with them. These days it seems like all they're out to do is bend you over.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
So, does anyone know if these support Windows Media playlists through the USB drive connection? Or if any receiver does for that matter?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Finished with them? I'm as much of an Alpine fan now as I've ever been. PDX are still class leading for the compact class D full range, the SPX-Pros are easily one of my favorite 2 way sets to date, and the CDA-9887 is easily the best value for a single DIN receiver considering the feature set (and I am basically talking MSRP here as I do realize there are some great deals on other decks). Unfortunately there just isn't a big enough market for products like the H701 to justify keeping them around. Those are all niche products, not mainstream, and Alpine definitely is in the mainstream market. In many ways, Pioneer and Alpine are my favorite companies to their popularity yet willingness to offer some good features for enthusiasts like us.

The real future for the products most of like will come from the little guys like Zapco, Arc, Audison, etc. And we'll have to pay dearly for 'em.

Just my $0.02. :) I've definitely been called and Alpine fanboy in the past, but I think they've earned it. Same with Pioneer IMO.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Finished with them? I'm as much of an Alpine fan now as I've ever been. PDX are still class leading for the compact class D full range, the SPX-Pros are easily one of my favorite 2 way sets to date, and the CDA-9887 is easily the best value for a single DIN receiver considering the feature set (and I am basically talking MSRP here as I do realize there are some great deals on other decks). Unfortunately there just isn't a big enough market for products like the H701 to justify keeping them around. Those are all niche products, not mainstream, and Alpine definitely is in the mainstream market. In many ways, Pioneer and Alpine are my favorite companies to their popularity yet willingness to offer some good features for enthusiasts like us.

The real future for the products most of like will come from the little guys like Zapco, Arc, Audison, etc. And we'll have to pay dearly for 'em.

Just my $0.02. :) I've definitely been called and Alpine fanboy in the past, but I think they've earned it. Same with Pioneer IMO.

You can't give Alpine the credit for the SPXPro comp sets. It's not like they designed either driver used in that set. They may have "tweaked" a few things, but I'd say that anything tweaked was simply on a cosmetic level. Just my .02 anyway.

·
18,544 Posts
I used to love alpine. Still crave the 7990 headunit, but with the way they did the w505 (proprietary optical cable that costs $130 msrp, add-on navi, add-on… everything), it just annoyed me. Then they cut the h701 and (seemingly) haven’t replaced it… that annoys me. I understand the market has changed. My tastes have changed as well.

They didn’t offer anything at CES that looked interesting to me, so yes… I don’t have a desire to buy any of their products. I’m not saying I wouldn’t rock their PDX or spx-pros, but I’m not as geeked up on them as a I used to be.

If they release something I like, I might buy it. But, I’m not a fan of the way they’ve done things lately.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You can't give Alpine the credit for the SPXPro comp sets. It's not like they designed either driver used in that set. They may have "tweaked" a few things, but I'd say that anything tweaked was simply on a cosmetic level. Just my .02 anyway.
Ahh, so Alpine didn't design the passive or bring the set to market...I mean, to some degree you can't be serious. So much of car audio is "rebadging" and "tweaking" and then reselling it's ridiculous. The set is a well built, well executed 2 way component set that uses very nice base materials and allows a ton of flexibility compared to most component sets.

Do we not give Zapco credit for it's new DC processing, even though it's commonly known they sourced it from somewhere else? The SPX-Pros are easily one of the best executed 2 way passive sets I've used.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Ahh, so Alpine didn't design the passive or bring the set to market...I mean, to some degree you can't be serious. So much of car audio is "rebadging" and "tweaking" and then reselling it's ridiculous. The set is a well built, well executed 2 way component set that uses very nice base materials and allows a ton of flexibility compared to most component sets.

Do we not give Zapco credit for it's new DC processing, even though it's commonly known they sourced it from somewhere else? The SPX-Pros are easily one of the best executed 2 way passive sets I've used.
I don't know about the passive, so I won't comment on that. That's why I also only mentioned the drivers in my original post.

You are right about 1 company making something, then 10 companies rebadging and selling it. But that wasn't the debate here. I will say that the tweets from the SPXPro set are out of this world. I use them and love them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if it weren't for the PDX's, I'd be finished with them.
W0W! I didn't think all of you Alpine loyalist are pissed off because Alpine -USA didn't offer something really out this world this year. I get the sense that I'm going too be finished with them too. Other than their PDX's line of amps, I think I'm going to start looking somewhere else.

One thing I don't understand with their philosophy this year with their AV units. Here you have the w205 & w505, then they add the P1 Nav, and they called them "new". What are they thinking? - just by "re-badging" their receivers is the new trend & the solution to this bad economy, I was hoping for more innovative models this year.

For instance look at the Alpine Japan site, they have some awesome gear there like the X075, X07 & HD55 AV receivers. How come they don't offer those here in the states?

In addition, I'm also done with the IMPRINT! I guess Alpine did not listened to people (consumers) like us to have their processors to do auto calibration, but with the capability to fine tune afterwards.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Community my friend. Friday night live mixes from a club you go to, morning talk shows, easy listening stations for when you're in the mood and in no way gonna buy that CD, 5 o'clock traffic mixes. :D
I listen to all those things but since I hate commercials they get to me through iTunes. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts