DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and trying to design a system for my e36 BMW. It has the stock H/K system now which I plan to totally replace. I’m looking at Focal v30 6.5” for the front stage and looking into 10” IB subs for the rear deck. I have a friend with a Phoenix Gold Xenon x200.4 four channel amp that I was planning to use to power the system. My thought was to bridge the rear channels to power the subs but it is a fairly large amp and installing it discreetly will take some effort. After seeing the Alpine PDX F4 and its compact size I’m wondering if it may be a better choice. How do the two amps compare if size were not an issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
There really is not much one can say....let the numbers do the talking:

X200.4 (Class a/b)
200 Watts x 4 (4-1 ohm stereo)
400 Watts x 2 (8-2 ohm bridged)
(many have birthsheets that rate over 900 watts!)

PDX F4 (Class D)
100 Watts x 4 into 4 Ohms: (@14.4V Ƈ%THD+N)
100 Watts x 4 into 2 Ohms: (@14.4V Ƈ%THD+N)
200 Watts x 2 Bridged into 4 Ohms

IMO, I would get the Xenon fixed if size and efficiency is not as important to you. Else....look at the JL Audio HD600/4... Or go with something for less money like the Precision Power Phantom Series.

PRECISION POWER P900.4 (Class D)
RMS Power Output @ 14.4V :
Rating @ 4 ohms : 145 Watts x 4
Rating @ 2 ohms : 225 Watts x 4
Bridged @ 4 ohms : 450 Watts x 2
$229.95 shipped @ FREE SHIPPING $229.95 PRECISION POWER P900.4 4-Channel 900W Phantom Class D Amplifier

Review
PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Test Report: Precision Power P900.4 Amplifier

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
IMO, I would get the Xenon fixed or look at a JL Audio HD600/4. Or go with something for less money like the Precision Power Phantom Series
I believe that was "friend" not fried. I thought it was fried also until I re-read.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Oh, I missed that. Then by all means...the op should go for the Xenon and mount it under the rear deck.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The Phantom measures 10.9" x 6.75" x 2" ~ 900 watts total output
The Xenon measures 22" x 10.6" x 2.5" ~ 800+ watts total output

One really can't go wrong with the Phantom if big power in a small space at a small price is ones priority. I guess you'll have to tell your friend to post his Xenon up on the forum. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I passed on the PG. It was going to be a very tight fit and based on your feedback I picked up a PPI P900.4

I also ordered a pair of Focal 165 V30 and a LCQ-1 to integrate with my factory head unit.

Thanks for the help! Now I'm looking for a good used pair of IB subs to put in the rear shelf. Leaning towards 12"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts