DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a pair of PDX-V9. My plan initially is to use one of them to power my horns and midrange, and to use the other one bridged to the midbass and the 5th channel to the sub. In the future, I may consider using both 5th channels for the sub- one to each coil. All processing will be done with my PXA-H800 so all amplifier filters will be set to "OFF."

I am trying to figure out how to configure the amp/inputs etc. The manual is a bit confusing. It only provides two options that are relevant to what I'm trying to do.

Option 1 would require that I use the same amp to power the SW as I am using for the horns and midrange:

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Schematic

Option 2 would allow me to bridge the first 4 channels to the midbass, and use the SW on channel 5, but not use the SW RCA input, and instead, sums the input from the midbass channels for the SW:

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Engineering

Is there a way to configure the amp in a way that allows me to use the SW input and bridge ch 1-4 to the midbass? It would seem as simple as changing the SUB W input selector to "SUB W" but I am not sure why Alpine did not include that as an option or why they defaulted it to sum ch 1-4.

I'd also assume I can use channels 1-4 without using the SW channel.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

· Registered
664 Posts
In the 2nd diagram, y-harnesses are being used on the ch 1-4 inputs and the speakers are just wired in a bridged configuration, nothing fancy going on related to the switch. The switch appears to only determine whether the subwoofer channel uses the SW input or not... I'd venture to say that they combined multiple thoughts into as few images as possible.

· Registered
2,019 Posts
Yeah, I think the 2nd diagram is showing how to split a single set of RCA’s, to feed all channels, when a dedicated sub input isn’t available.

· Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense; I just wasn't sure why they wouldn't specify that in the description. That diagram is also the only "bridged" configuration shown in the manual. Why would the average V9 owner be running a pair of front speakers bridged on 1-4 AND a subwoofer on 5, all off a single pair of RCA inputs? 🤷‍♂️ I mean, what an odd example to choose to include in the manual if you're limited on diagram space, plus you'd have to run passive filters after the amp on everything. It's arguably the least practical use for this amp.

I've unfortunately been trained to overthink things over the years after learning the hard way several times that things aren't always as simple as they should be o_O Just wanted to make sure Alpine hadn't done something wonky on what configurations are possible. I haven't owned these PDX amps before, but I had an old MRV-F545 and I remember it was only bridgeable on channels 3-4, so you couldn't run it as a dual mono; only a 3 channel. But the previous model- the MRV-F540- which I also owned, could be bridged down to 2 channels. Sometimes Alpine does **** that doesn't make sense. 💩

· Registered
2014 Toyota Avalon Limited
467 Posts
As far as your last assumption of running the amp without using Ch5, I would try to contact Alpine. I have heard that class D amps need to have all channels loaded in order to work properly. It may not be true but it would be a shame to mess up an amp like that over an assumption.

I’m going to be using a V9 in basically the same configuration. I’m in the process of switching to an F4 for mids & highs and the V9 to mid bass & sub. It’s just a matter of putting the switch to 1+2 for the 3/4 input and Sub for the sub input (which is what I’m doing) and that’ll let you run bridged with sub using dedicated mid bass & sub outputs from the DSP with no Y-connectors.

Reactions: mikey7182

· Registered
4,515 Posts
Don’t put both midbass on one amp, crazy to put three big power consumers on one amp and have the other doing very little, use one for left and one for right and spread the load, the amps will thank you as the power supplys will get an easier time, plus it then gives you the best theoretical seperation between left and right as the signals won’t even be in the same chassis

· Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t put both midbass on one amp, crazy to put three big power consumers on one amp and have the other doing very little, use one for left and one for right and spread the load, the amps will thank you as the power supplys will get an easier time, plus it then gives you the best theoretical seperation between left and right as the signals won’t even be in the same chassis
My midbass are high efficiency 8 ohm drivers, so I’m not too worried about this in my case, but I understand and agree with the sentiment in general. I like the idea of separation- that’s actually how I’ve had setups configured previously. I used a pair of staggered Gladen 6 channel amps, in 3 channel bridged mode, one for L and one for R. If I had independent gains on the PDX for each channel that would be awesome, as I could do ch 1 to horn, ch 2 to midrange, and 3+4 bridged to midbass. I suppose I can always adjust horn and MR levels with the processor- they’re fairly similar efficiency. Hmm 🤔 😁

· Registered
4,515 Posts
My midbass are high efficiency 8 ohm drivers, so I’m not too worried about this in my case, but I understand and agree with the sentiment in general. I like the idea of separation- that’s actually how I’ve had setups configured previously. I used a pair of staggered Gladen 6 channel amps, in 3 channel bridged mode, one for L and one for R. If I had independent gains on the PDX for each channel that would be awesome, as I could do ch 1 to horn, ch 2 to midrange, and 3+4 bridged to midbass. I suppose I can always adjust horn and MR levels with the processor- they’re fairly similar efficiency. Hmm 🤔 😁
Yup, independent gains isn’t an issue when you have far finer adjustment in a dsp 👍🏼

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.