DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Alpine Processor even do crossovers? It seems to have

Number of outputs : 8 (2 Front1 L/R, 2 Front2 L/R, 2 Rear1 L/R, 1 Center, 1 Subwoofer)

So you seem to be able to do bandpass the mids, and highpass the tweets, and low pass the sub... for rears you have one setting around ~80-300hz or whatever standard crossover... does that sound about right?

I have 4 components, and I want the 10 outputs like the Audio Control 4xs will do so I can bandpass all my mids and high pass my tweets, but Audio Control does no time correction, so that's a little disappointing...

The Behringer 2496 just seems like overkill for my knowledge and application, the balanced input/output drives the price of converting my unbalanced headunit... Plus it doesn't have the 10 outputs, I know you can daisy chain, but again, more balanced in an unbalanced system just skyrockets the cost...

I am thinking of keeping my alpine 9813 or going with a newer alpine, with the 6 preout time correction on the headunit, and then sending that to the Audio Cotrol 4xs for sub (low pass) mids (bandpass) and tweets (high pass) I know that I'll be blunting the time correction of the tweets and the mids together, but for 100$ the audio control 4xs gives me all the outputs I need... none of the others really do.

Comments thoughts? I am just really talking out loud about thoughts I'm having trying to go from passive to active...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw your post somewhere else about that crossover...

It looks like it's it's a 4-way, but only 1, 4 way... I am looking to do basically 2, 3 ways... i.e. one sub, and then 2 sets of components... so in my case would need 2 of them.

I don't care for the potentiometer adjustments, as to me it seems an inaccurate method for changing the crossover, and with all the hoopla about popping a tweet, don't want anything brushing up against it and messing the settings up. I'll agree it's easier than swapping in modules for the AUdio Control 4xs or other "programmable" but not "adjustable on the fly" (i.e. not DQS DQXS etc...)

That crossover doesn't look like it does anything > 12db/oct which I suppose isn't bad, but I like the behringer capabilities of anything, and the Audio control can do 18 or 24db/octave depending on the modules. As for the alpine, I think it's 12db/oct also...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Which would have the best options for a 3-4way system.....with sub control, plenty of EQ ability, and a full range of crossover features? I've thought about using the behringer myself....and just concerned about the power conversion, and my ability to work it and adjust anything on the fly......I could mount it up front but as i've seen the unit is somewhat large.

How could ya make on the fly modifications?

How do the others differ from the behringer, and how much are each?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Behringer Unit is 250$
The Alpine unit is like 350$ and you need either the 900-1500$ control Navi unit or the RUX something, which gives Auto Time Correction, but only 8 channel.
The AundioControl 4xs is 175$ I think, but regularly goes for 100$ on ebay.

The Alpine is the only one with on the fly controls, and has a very nice eq and pretty graphical display if that's your thing.

If you are not concerned with the rears, or can run them passive, then the Alpine IMO wins for on the fly adjustments and bling factor.

The Behringer wins for most configurable and most features. You could get a little graphic equalizer if you wanted something to play with. The AC-DC conversion isn't really that big of a deal, buy a 50$ inverter if you're worried about that.

The AudioControl 4xs is the only one that has 10 outputs, which is just crazy but no time correction.

I may just go passive in the rear, and get the Alpine because it has the most "playable on the fly" features and has a cool display... But you need a head unit with optical output to take advantage of that... It does have RCA inputs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the 2496 is a hell of a unit....with a lot of features..

add a mic and you got yourself a decent rta :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only problem I can see with the 2496 is the price of using balanced... is there a good way of getting around that? I was looking at Jensen balanced to unbalanced transformers which my company has used before to adapt pro gear to home quality stuff...

Now that I am looking further, I am not sure the Alpine H701 will do bandpass at all :-(

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Only problem i have read with the converters is noise, which is my concern with the unit. Why is balanced so expensive....are you talking using 2 units 1 for each side L&R or balanced interconnects?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, there aren't that many balanced headunits, not amplifiers... None of mine are.

So I would have to go from unbalanced -> balanced -> unbalanced which means transformers on either side... unless somebody has a better idea?

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thank you so much, I am a big Alpine fan, but not of their website... the USA site sucks :-/ they don't even have current model owner's manuals put up...

And I work for a company that sells alpine, and I heckled the Alpine rep a bit about that, so he got me a tech pass for dealers... It barely has anything more than the consumer site has... just product literature etc...

I think that settles it for me, I can get it for a decent price since they're running a promotion for authorized dealers... Now I just have to decide if it's worth it to get an optical output or just keep my RCAs...

·
Registered
415 Posts
If its a choice, GET OPTICAL.

Alpine DVA-9860 at dealers cost is a damn killer deal!! ..and it controls the PXA-H701 from the headunit itself (no need for the RUX-C701 control unit)!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well from may to august 31st, alpine them selves are running a deal even better than dealer cost...

And the 9860 will not play DVD-MP3 disks (to my knowledge) the 9965 which isn't out yet will though...

The only benefit from using the RUX-C701 is that you get automatic time conrrection, and a cool dancing graph/display when the music plays...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Ocelaris said:
Well from may to august 31st, alpine them selves are running a deal even better than dealer cost...

And the 9860 will not play DVD-MP3 disks (to my knowledge) the 9965 which isn't out yet will though...

The only benefit from using the RUX-C701 is that you get automatic time conrrection, and a cool dancing graph/display when the music plays...
the 9860 will indeed play dvd mp3 disks at least that is what I have been told by three different alpine techs over the phone ( I called different times to get different opinions lol)

as far as the below dealer cost????? shooooot buy one and the ship it to me and make some extra cash from it

PLEASE DIRECT ME to where I can get that price

I have a h701 sitting in the closet jsut waiting to be used for some reason :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.