DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 3104 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jim, a couple questions that seem to get buried in this thread:

1. Are the crossover points 1/3 octave or something else? You mentioned pc setup...do we have the luxury to manually type in desired crossover points?

1/6 Octave - No, its a drop down menu. See attached pic

2. With the parametric, what is the bandwidth (q) adjustable from?

0.5/1.0/1.5/2.0/2.5/3.0/4.0/5.0
20 to 20kHz for the FRLC channels 1/6 octave
20 to 200Hz for the SUB 1/6 octave

3. Are the crossovers L-R, BW, or none of the above?

Don't know ... I'll check.

4. Do you guys employ the use of shelf filtering in this new processor?

No, but the PEQ (1/6 octave, 0.5-5.0Q) is more than capable of most any shelving you're likely to need.

5. When a crossover is not used does it act as an all pass filter sans phase shift?

Yes.

6. You've mentioned the T/A increments are 0.05ms. Is that hardcoded to the software already? Is it at all possible to make the adjustments in smaller scale (ie: 0.02ms)? The reason I ask, is because some units I've used allow for more fine tuning here and I've found it to be quite useful.

It is fixed at 0.05ms via the measurement (distance) adjustment. Again, see screen cap 2.

Attachments

·
18,499 Posts
Thanks for the information. Very much looking forward to seeing this product in action and hopefully getting a thorough review. The screenshots are a great help.
I like that you have the ability to mute a channel right on the software. That's sweet. Something I forgot the bitone does and I take advantage of fully (to help align speakers on the same side).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Brand new member... I wanted to find some more info about this new product. Reading through the thread I noted some of these questions were asked, but I didn't see an answer.
A little background -- I have a carpc, the audio of which is feed out to a DAC via optical spdif. The DAC is fairly old and I would love to find something to replace it with. So on to my questions:

1. Will this accept PCM data over optical spdif?
1a. if so, will it be able to handle 5.1 audio?
2. Will this device act as a USB soundcard?
3. What prevents this from handling other audio formats (beyond mp3) especally since they some are with out license fees (ie: ogg, flac)
4. Pankrok asked, and I guess I will repeat...
"could a carpc be used as the headunit without the need of RUX"

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

Brand new member... I wanted to find some more info about this new product. Reading through the thread I noted some of these questions were asked, but I didn't see an answer.
A little background -- I have a carpc, the audio of which is feed out to a DAC via optical spdif. The DAC is fairly old and I would love to find something to replace it with. So on to my questions:

1. Will this accept PCM data over optical spdif?
1a. if so, will it be able to handle 5.1 audio?
2. Will this device act as a USB soundcard?
3. What prevents this from handling other audio formats (beyond mp3) especally since they some are with out license fees (ie: ogg, flac)
4. Pankrok asked, and I guess I will repeat...
"could a carpc be used as the headunit without the need of RUX"

Thanks in advance.
from what I know about this device from all my question asking at ces is that audio singal over optical weather from a home dvd or computer should work fine, and it will do 5.1 you wont be able to put any audio down to the processor through usb, and i suppose you could run the carpc as a controler but youwould have to load the program every time and connect to the proccesor and conroling volume would be a pain, as it would be a small slide bar in the software

·
Registered
53 Posts
MS8? Maybe for non multi-channel (ie center channel based) setups.
i have a ms8 and its nothing special to me sure it can tune a sytem well, but no real controll after that, i had to tune my car 3 times on one 3hr drive so that it could be used and then had to retune it for the competition i was entering.

I have used the ms8, F#1, Pxa-h701 and h700 and a bitone

The new PxaH800 has assignable inputs and outputs 8ch each

but unlike the ms8, the alpine piece will let you play with the settings (time correction, xovers, and eq) after you imprint it, as well as stil being able to utilise the road eq

·
Registered
2 Posts
from what I know about this device from all my question asking at ces is that audio singal over optical weather from a home dvd or computer should work fine, and it will do 5.1 you wont be able to put any audio down to the processor through usb, and i suppose you could run the carpc as a controler but youwould have to load the program every time and connect to the proccesor and conroling volume would be a pain, as it would be a small slide bar in the software
If I can send PCM data over optical, then I can set the volume one on the device and control volume via the carpc (that is how I do it now). And I could use any software to control the volume (not neccessary to use thiers) - similar to how I do it know (just set the volume on the box and leave it). I could use their software to configure things and then use a standard frontend to run on a day-to-day basis... No head unit (would be nice)!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
i have a ms8
You appear to have missed the point of the post you quoted. We all know what the MS-8 can and can't do.

The MS-8 is probably the best for a system with a center/multi-channel system.

The Alpine looks like it will kick every bodies ass in a two channel system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the new alpine is able to have a center channel and with the assailable inputs like the ms8 i dont see why the new alpine piece wont be able to surpass what the ms8 dose, hey im just exited as a huge fan of F#1 and the pxa-h701 i just hope that it dose all that they say it dose cause it would be a shame if i have to kick my alpine rep and everyone else i talked to at CES in the nuts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Heres another question for you, will my DVA-9861 be compatable with it, meaning will it funtion in much the same way it does now when hooked up to the h701, ie CD/DVD audio going over the toslink and all other audio sources such as IPOD/Tuner/CD changer be sent over the ainet and also will I still be able to control balance/fade/subwoofer control from the headunit?
Still no answer?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
the new alpine is able to have a center channel and with the assailable inputs like the ms8 i dont see why the new alpine piece wont be able to surpass what the ms8 dose
PLII Music or any other multichannel codec were not develop exclusively for the unique car environment the way the the MS-8's special Logic7 processing was. I'm sure the H800 does something to augment the based decoding but nothing like the MS-8 does. It's specialty seems to be more geared toward stereo with its Audessy Imprint tech.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Unless the Alpine unit has dramatically improved their auto tune function (Imprint), it shouldn't be compared to the MS-8. It should be compared to other manual tune units.

·
Registered
53 Posts
PLII Music or any other multichannel codec were not develop exclusively for the unique car environment the way the the MS-8's special Logic7 processing was. I'm sure the H800 does something to augment the based decoding but nothing like the MS-8 does. It's specialty seems to be more geared toward stereo with its Audessy Imprint tech.
I can see your argument with this but there is also the other great argument of weather to use a center at all

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unless the Alpine unit has dramatically improved their auto tune function (Imprint), it shouldn't be compared to the MS-8. It should be compared to other manual tune units.
i think your totally wrong if you use the imprint in 3 way mode it works amazing, now it isnt perfect either i had to play with it for hours to find out how to manipulate my xover so that it sounded the way i wanted especially on sub bass as well the lack of adjustable after imprinting , but with the ms8 i had to do many of the same things and the sub control wasn't a true sub control and i found i couldn't get the adjustment to work well in my cars, although you could eq after tuning, hopefully if the alpine piece works you can change time corection xovers and eq after the tune so you can make all the fine adjustments you need to after the fact, casue lets face it a computer assumes what you want to hear but it cant know exactly what to change they get confused with stuff too just like us

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I can see your argument with this but there is also the other great argument of weather to use a center at all
I'm not aware of that argument.

This is not a room in a house, it's an offset listening position of which each driver has it's own unique space that mangles the sound in it's own way. And at more then one source per side from multiple speaker location.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not aware of that argument.

This is not a room in a house, it's an offset listening position of which each driver has it's own unique space that mangles the sound in it's own way. And at more then one source per side from multiple speaker location.
but in a house your not totaly aligned either thats why they make these auto tuners to time correct and level adjust for where you are sitting in a room, yes you are closer to the speakers in a car but when you set up a denon auto tune system you dont have to be in the center for it to work so adapting it for a car isnt far fetched

·
Registered
812 Posts
i think your totally wrong if you use the imprint in 3 way mode it works amazing, now it isnt perfect either i had to play with it for hours to find out how to manipulate my xover so that it sounded the way i wanted especially on sub bass as well the lack of adjustable after imprinting , but with the ms8 i had to do many of the same things and the sub control wasn't a true sub control and i found i couldn't get the adjustment to work well in my cars, although you could eq after tuning, hopefully if the alpine piece works you can change time corection xovers and eq after the tune so you can make all the fine adjustments you need to after the fact, casue lets face it a computer assumes what you want to hear but it cant know exactly what to change they get confused with stuff too just like us
The MS-8 allows for tuning the eq after auto tune as well (31 bands). And if the MS-8 gets the time alignment correct (which it does), why would you want to tweak it? And why would you want to adjust the crossovers after the auto tune when you could do it prior?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The H800 does not use Audyssey tech this time around, this is our new ImprintEQ developed by our Japan HQ team. It has significantly more resolution, especially in the mid and lower bass, plus it has user definable/adjustable target curves.

The H800 also has Euphony, which acts similarly to Logic7 in that it can create surround sound from a 2ch source.

241 - 260 of 3104 Posts