DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Unless the Alpine unit has dramatically improved their auto tune function (Imprint), it shouldn't be compared to the MS-8. It should be compared to other manual tune units.
We have, significantly. See above. Plus, now we offer manual adjustment after the tune to allow users to further customize past even their self-defined target curves to shift the center image, add some low end shelving, etc etc ... its has quite a bit more power than our previous renditions of Imprint ever had.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We have, significantly. See above. Plus, now we offer manual adjustment after the tune to allow users to further customize past even their self-defined target curves to shift the center image, add some low end shelving, etc etc ... its has quite a bit more power than our previous renditions of Imprint ever had.
This is great news!

·
Registered
483 Posts
according to everyone i talked to you will be able to use your deck for basic control as well as switching between processor presets
Ai-Net units will control Presets, nothing more. This is a new platform different from the H700/701, more like the F#1 sans firewire ... so the control lingo is a bit different. For most users, this control will be sufficient after the initial tune is complete and a few presets are saved. For the tweakos amongst us, the RUX can be tucked away and used as necessary to adjust on the fly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hopefully if the alpine piece works you can change time corection xovers and eq after the tune so you can make all the fine adjustments you need to after the fact, casue lets face it a computer assumes what you want to hear but it cant know exactly what to change they get confused with stuff too just like us
Exactly the feedback we got after some years of Imprint in the field ... the computer was assuming too much. Now, we are giving you guys the ability to adjust the target curve and let the computer voice it to your preference.

For example, if you find a tune that just sounds amazing .. you can save that target curve on the computer. Then, go tune another car with that same "target" curve you saved .. basically proving that your target is rock solid. You can then save that as your "house/shop" curve that you'll voice all of your cars to sound like. This is going to be fun for the nitpicky tuners amongst us that can now create a standard "voicing" that they can set all of the cars they work on to sound like. Again, you can adjust from there to yours or your customers tastes .. but you'll find a good baseline that you know will work for you to simplify future tunes/installs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ai-Net units will control Presets, nothing more. This is a new platform different from the H700/701, more like the F#1 sans firewire ... so the control lingo is a bit different. For most users, this control will be sufficient after the initial tune is complete and a few presets are saved. For the tweakos amongst us, the RUX can be tucked away and used as necessary to adjust on the fly.
When you say it "will control presets, nothing more "do you mean they won't control volume or source either :confused:.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Your source is selected by the HU regardless, unless you are using the AUX+ via the second AI-NET jack on the H800. Still, I'd imagine that it would control that as well but I'll double confirm it.

Volume is obviously controlled.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The H800 does not use Audyssey tech this time around, this is our new ImprintEQ developed by our Japan HQ team. It has significantly more resolution, especially in the mid and lower bass, plus it has user definable/adjustable target curves.

The H800 also has Euphony, which acts similarly to Logic7 in that it can create surround sound from a 2ch source.
Nice! You guys might want to throw that into the product literature as a strong point, that should be a good selling point now a days with all the newer cars starting to have center channels built in.

Will the Imprint autotune for that multichannel mode as well, for all channels independently that is?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think it is pretty cool that Alpine is modeling this to help dealers/shops better serve their customers who are not into the nitty gritty details, but just want better sound; particularly, because at the same time they are not stripping away the ability for DIYers to do all their own nitpik tuning, themselves, with the very same equipment - NICE.

·
Registered
360 Posts
according to everyone i talked to you will be able to use your deck for basic control as well as switching between processor presets
So does that mean I will still be able to control balance, fade and sub control from the headunit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The MS-8 allows for tuning the eq after auto tune as well (31 bands). And if the MS-8 gets the time alignment correct (which it does), why would you want to tweak it? And why would you want to adjust the crossovers after the auto tune when you could do it prior?
Is that why i had to re-tune my 2 cars at least 5 times each to get it to sound right so i could compete. the ms8 dose not always get time alignment correct the center and left imaging was always the issue i had, and to fix it i acctualy had to trick it by turning my head more than what it wanted me to just like in imprint, if you put the mic in different locations than what it tells you it will change the overall outcome of the tune

·
Registered
53 Posts
that's kind of what i was sayin and yes a rux is an amazing tuning tool, probably the one thing i like about the 701 over f#1 to be able to sit in your seat that your tuning for and just have a small controller in your hand making adjustments rather that having your laptop on your lap or console blocking speaker information its so nice and i find you can relax better while tuning by using it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
i think your totally wrong if you use the imprint in 3 way mode it works amazing, now it isnt perfect either i had to play with it for hours to find out how to manipulate my xover so that it sounded the way i wanted especially on sub bass as well the lack of adjustable after imprinting , but with the ms8 i had to do many of the same things and the sub control wasn't a true sub control and i found i couldn't get the adjustment to work well in my cars, although you could eq after tuning, hopefully if the alpine piece works you can change time corection xovers and eq after the tune so you can make all the fine adjustments you need to after the fact, casue lets face it a computer assumes what you want to hear but it cant know exactly what to change they get confused with stuff too just like us
I think this would be pretty hard to do. The auto tuning takes into account all the setting before it runs along with what it measures during. Then it calculates and create the final filter. If a slope, TA, or crossover point is changed after wouldn't it then have to go through the complete calibration process for each change each and every time (think of the time you'd have to wait each time you pressed a button)?

Or even more complicated, it might need to remeasure with the mics in order to compensate for the new acoustic phase change at the crossover point of the tweeter. You change the slope or crossover frequency, that then changes the phase of the tweeter at its crossover point, and then the TA need to be changed on the tweeter to realign it in that area. Or at least that is how I understand that it works, I could be wrong though.

Seems to me like EQ, tone, and saved curves would not affect things like this so they can be changed after cal without affecting the final filter.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
jim walter, can H800 be controlled by vehicle hub VPA-B222R? If not, will there soon be a hub that can control it? thank you.

·
18,390 Posts
Jim, an additional question:
I assume this unit will have a usb port since it is PC compatible... (or, is it something else like the h900?).... regardless... do you guys plan to allow for future FW upgrades on this particular unit?
I know it could be seen as a 'shoot yourself in the foot' theme from a mfg's standpoint, but it's nice for me to know that a company has the ability to send out upgrades on their products. Even if the upgrade was a minimal fee for new s/w GUI or perks.
There are, however, a few companies that have this ability, though they do not make use of it. Stinks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jim, an additional question:
I assume this unit will have a usb port since it is PC compatible... (or, is it something else like the h900?).... regardless... do you guys plan to allow for future FW upgrades on this particular unit?
I know it could be seen as a 'shoot yourself in the foot' theme from a mfg's standpoint, but it's nice for me to know that a company has the ability to send out upgrades on their products. Even if the upgrade was a minimal fee for new s/w GUI or perks.
There are, however, a few companies that have this ability, though they do not make use of it. Stinks.
The H800 has a USB B connector (the square printer cable style one) and comes with a 5m cable. We chose this connector since this is what we found was the easiest for anyone to get their hands on in a 5m distance (in the event you lose or break your supplied cable, which everyone does).... A few years back, we had to use online vendors to find 5m A-mini A cables when we were doing H650/660/100 installs. Again, we learned from our experience here.

This port is for both tuning (PC Control) as well as FW updates. We will be offering some software updates in the future for this product with certainty. I know .. shocking ... it almost seems like we were listening to you guys for the past few years :D

261 - 280 of 3092 Posts