DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

301 - 320 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Question for Jim

I think i remember talking to our rep at ces and he was talking about strapping 2 h800 together to get 16 adjustable outputs, do you know if you can do this?

·
Registered
483 Posts
any info regarding the roadEQ?
Hi Nikita,

The RoadEQ will use the tuning mic (needs to be kept plugged), that you place:
a) In-Ceiling above driver
b) Driver's visor
c) Rear View Mirror area

You'll measure the sound characteristics of the car parked and off with everything closed (or the condition you want it to EQ for).

1) Place the mic in the car
2) Measure the car
3) Set RoadEQ Level - 1/2/3

Jim

·
Registered
483 Posts
Question for Jim

I think i remember talking to our rep at ces and he was talking about strapping 2 h800 together to get 16 adjustable outputs, do you know if you can do this?
No, this cannot be done with one RUX.

The only way to do this would be on the analog side of things, run two sets of RCA inputs to them and tune them independently. You could run this off any deck, but would have no adjustment of them other than varying the input level (volume) via your HU pre-outs.

Jim

·
Registered
483 Posts
The H-650 was probably the worst car audio purchase I've ever made and, regrettably, soon followed by the second worst, the 9887 imprint combo.
From what I'm reading about this new unit it sounds like Alpine is finally getting it right but forgive me if I'm still a bit skeptical.
I can understand you were upset with the H650, being you were only allowed to have Imprint tuning, but how could you lump the 87 in there too? That was an awesome HU that had some of the best tuning options this side of a P9 and great SQ as well.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for all of your wisdom.
Could you please let us know to what extent the CDA-117 will be able to manipulate the h800 and if you can operate it without the controler?

Thanks for your help,
Gary

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for all of your wisdom.
Could you please let us know to what extent the CDA-117 will be able to manipulate the h800 and if you can operate it without the controler?

Thanks for your help,
Gary
Basic control - same as the other HUs. Yes, it can be run without a RUX, tuning will need to be done via PC. There is no need for the RUX unless you want to tweak on the fly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Nikita,

The RoadEQ will use the tuning mic (needs to be kept plugged), that you place:
a) In-Ceiling above driver
b) Driver's visor
c) Rear View Mirror area

You'll measure the sound characteristics of the car parked and off with everything closed (or the condition you want it to EQ for).

1) Place the mic in the car
2) Measure the car
3) Set RoadEQ Level - 1/2/3

Jim
Thanks Jim!
So the tunning mic won't be the one from ktx-100? And, from this positions positions I can notice that the roadEQ will be basically for the driver, right? can it be tunned for the car center, for an instance?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks Jim!
So the tunning mic won't be the one from ktx-100? And, from this positions positions I can notice that the roadEQ will be basically for the driver, right? can it be tunned for the car center, for an instance?
The first two positions focus on the driver, the rear view placement would be for the car center. You could theoretically place it near anywhere you wanted the EQ to be "focused".

The mic is different than the old H100 tuning mic. It is included with the H800 so you don't have to worry about purchasing anything.

Jim

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jim,

Don't know if this has been asked, but how does the new 800 compare to the older holy grail F#1 H900?
We are waiting until we get out Pre-Production piece in here with all the final tweaks in it before we benchmark it (SQ wise - Freq Resp, S/N, THD, etc) .. but we're looking pretty good on paper to stand side by side with it.

Tuning & System expansion, the H900 will have pretty much any and everything beat ... but for a real world system, I think we have something to hang out hats on with the new H800.

Jim

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jim,

Will there be a 'limited edition Chrome and Yellow series"???

THEN YOU COULD "AUTOGRAPH" ONE FOR ME!!!!! hahahahaha

SIGNED ONES ALWAYS SOUND "BETTER" AND COST MORE.....lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jim,

Will there be a 'limited edition Chrome and Yellow series"???

THEN YOU COULD "AUTOGRAPH" ONE FOR ME!!!!! hahahahaha

SIGNED ONES ALWAYS SOUND "BETTER" AND COST MORE.....lol
You know we only do
black and yellow
black and yellow
black and yellow
black and yellow ....

You know how it is

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fo Sho!

Can you sign my THIN TYPE R WOOFERS?????

I Will pay you cause they will bump harder after you "autograph" them!!!! lololololol

·
Registered
483 Posts
So, I just got my first sample of a fully functional PC App for the H800 this morning. We're at 99% right now with this .. and I have to say I like it.

Here's a couple of screen caps

CYA NOTE: This is still not final-final software, so the one you see might change when it comes to market.

Attachments

·
18,358 Posts
nice...

I see you guys are using multeq (assumedly for imprint)... curious if you considered using dynamic eq as well (iow: a volume dependent EQ that can be either done automatically via imprint or even custom tailored). I ask this question because there is another bit of hardware out there that allows for this in the car audio realm, however, that DSP's controller has to be used in order to control that feature via volume. The problem with that is simply having two different sources (much like would be the case if one only bought the h800/c800 and used it with a non-ai-net headunit). With the way the w910+h800 sync, the need for a separate volume control would be mitigated, and quite honestly would definitely be a HIGH factor in many's purchase decision.

On another note, would it be possible for you to show us what the EQ screen looks like? Just for curiousity's sake. ;)

Again, I really appreciate you being here to answer these questions.

- Erin

·
Registered
483 Posts
nice...

I see you guys are using multeq (assumedly for imprint)... curious if you considered using dynamic eq as well (iow: a volume dependent EQ that can be either done automatically via imprint or even custom tailored). I ask this question because there is another bit of hardware out there that allows for this in the car audio realm, however, that DSP's controller has to be used in order to control that feature via volume. The problem with that is simply having two different sources (much like would be the case if one only bought the h800/c800 and used it with a non-ai-net headunit). With the way the w910+h800 sync, the need for a separate volume control would be mitigated, and quite honestly would definitely be a HIGH factor in many's purchase decision.

On another note, would it be possible for you to show us what the EQ screen looks like? Just for curiousity's sake. ;)

Again, I really appreciate you being here to answer these questions.

- Erin
Hi Erin,

Once again, I have to reiterate that this is not using Audyssey tuning, rather our own proprietary tuning that allows for customer defined target curves and after the fact adjustment. However, it looks like you found some of our leftover slop from the original development.. that'll be ImprintEQ for production (realize we started development on this guy many moons ago before we had enough market feedback to determine the need to do our own tuning algorithm). Thanks for being a beta tester! :eek:

The RoadEQ is effectively a dynamic EQ, in that it actively EQ's the signal with reference to a quiet cabin to achieve a consistent sound regardless of cabin noise. Not sure which piece you are talking about, but you don't have to be shy, just type the name in here.

Here is a shot of the EQ

Attachments

·
18,358 Posts
Hi Erin,

Once again, I have to reiterate that this is not using Audyssey tuning, rather our own proprietary tuning that allows for customer defined target curves and after the fact adjustment. However, it looks like you found some of our leftover slop from the original development.. that'll be ImprintEQ for production (realize we started development on this guy many moons ago before we had enough market feedback to determine the need to do our own tuning algorithm). Thanks for being a beta tester! :eek:

The RoadEQ is effectively a dynamic EQ, in that it actively EQ's the signal with reference to a quiet cabin to achieve a consistent sound regardless of cabin noise. Not sure which piece you are talking about, but you don't have to be shy, just type the name in here.

Here is a shot of the EQ
Cheers for the feedback, Jim!
I'm sorry for making that mistake... I do recall you saying that previously but was thrown by the multEQ lablel. ;)

I imagined RoadEQ was somewhat similar... I just view the two differently. Whereas with RoadEQ you're adjusting levels/FR based on road noise and with dynamicEQ, you're changing the curve based on the listener's hearing (ie: fletcher munson/equal loudness). In regards to how they differ in the use, well, for competitors, the roadEQ wouldn't really help as there is no correlating road noise to compensate for. Rather, we're in a parked car. Of course, competitors are a niche market, I know... but I do see the carry-over from "parked" to "driving" dynamicEQ plausible. Not sure if that helps relay my case any better, though. :( :confused:

The specific brand is Audison. They use the dynamicEQ to allow for a somewhat 'automatic' curve, or the user can go in with the use of a 31band equalizer and shape an upper and lower volume bounds FR. Use of this feature is only available via the DRC controller, though.

So, for example, let's say you want to mimic the fletcher munson curve (for pure example). The goal here is to take some of the sharpness out of the area your hearing is most sensitive to at high volumes, while at low volumes, you boost the frequencies you're least sensitive to:
  • At low volumes you will have a 15dB uprise starting at 300hz and going to 20hz, you want a boosted top end starting at 10khz and want the rest of the system to play relatively flat.
  • At high volumes, you want the low end and high end to be a relatively flat while you want to notch out 2-5khz, with 4khz being the largest notch.
Now that you know your target low and high, you simply go to the bitone software, turn on dynamicEQ, click on the 'low volume' setting and shape the equalizer curve to your desired tastes; boosted low end from 200hz down to 20hz and boosted high end from 10-20khz. Done there.
Then, on the 'high volume' setting, you keep the equalizer curve relatively flat, except you drop 2-5khz a few dB, notching it out to mimic the F-M curve (posted below for illustration).
You save the settings, and then you're done. Now whenever you use the volume, the software interpolates the curve between your low and high volume settings.

Of course, the above example is based on published f-m curves. As an end user, I would appreciate the ability to make the curve whatever I want (as the audison softare permits).
I hope that wasn't too wordy. :blush:

F-M Curve (posted in large resolution for others who are curious):

301 - 320 of 3092 Posts