DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
so from what is known about the h800.. what advantages would it have over the h701?

if i have a h701, would it be justifiable to get the new unit when it is released?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Why? BB are not the best, it maybe, but depending on the cost, cirucit design....
No doubt that Alpine F#1, Pioneer ODR uses BB's DAC, but recent DSP/Hu start using other brands like Bit1 using Wolfson's Codec.
Maybe Alpine latest using WM8740 or 8741?
The built in DSP are more important, because data go thru it first before reaches DACs... Using Sharc would be great.....
Can't say why they went for Wolfson instead of BB; I know Kenwood went with Wolfson for their Excelon decks in the past few years. I'm not an engineer, but by reputation I thought BB were as good or better than any other D/A conv out there.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
so from what is known about the h800.. what advantages would it have over the h701?

if i have a h701, would it be justifiable to get the new unit when it is released?
Jim has posted a comparison already about the differences.

However you're the only one that can tell if those differences are good enough to buy the new processor.

Kelvin

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I just put two H800's on preorder through a connection I have, does not mean I will get it any faster than others, just one of the first batch and I cannot do this for other guys here, would if I could.

I just want to make sure I get one as soon as possible because I am looking for the best way to tune Vettes for my audio packages and my truck sure could use one:)

Rick

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why? BB are not the best, it maybe, but depending on the cost, cirucit design....
No doubt that Alpine F#1, Pioneer ODR uses BB's DAC, but recent DSP/Hu start using other brands like Bit1 using Wolfson's Codec.
Maybe Alpine latest using WM8740 or 8741?
The built in DSP are more important, because data go thru it first before reaches DACs... Using Sharc would be great.....
Agree...
can't really tell the difference between BB's DAC or Wolfson, or AKM... sounds very much alike to me these days.

So, H800 is Sharc based?
Thought Alpine loves those TI's TMxx?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
For volume manipulation using OTHER HU's....

I don't get why manufacturers of these fantastic sound processors with digital inputs can't just use an RCA input to control their volume. How hard would that be? Digital input for the music, but still have one rca go from deck to processor where the processor controls volume depending on the rca voltage input. So simple.....

Seems like an easy way to make it compatible with any HU that has optical out.... no?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
AD's Sharc DSP, TI's Aureus DSP is something nice to have for HUs implementations, but then the cost of such DSP are not cheap.....
From my point of view, after owning the P9 combo and gathering the review from others, the DSP plays a very important role on active HUs/DSPs.... DAC won't come first....
For this new Alpine PXA, it is something like downgrading PXA-H900 and an upgrade of PXA-H700/701.... So if 800 were to using better DSPs, then they may use other brand's DAC to reduce the cost... Who willing to buy a DSP if it cost $1000? Bit1 and JBL cost <$700, so Alpine should be there also in order not to lost its consumers....

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts
Remember that the Bit1 and MS8's controllers were included. The pics of the H800 are showing that the controller is separate and an extra cost. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the $1000 range for the entire package.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
But who will sell at that price? Put the MSRP then actual sell lower is a good way on doing business.....
That is besides the point. You made this inaccurate statement (since the only real way to have an apples to apples comparison is to use MSRP)...

Bit1 and JBL cost <$700
...and the MSRP for the Bit One is $999 and MS-8 is $799. I'm just trying to keep the information accurate, no intentions of being rude or anything. :)

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
That is besides the point. You made this inaccurate statement (since the only real way to have an apples to apples comparison is to use MSRP)...

...and the MSRP for the Bit One is $999 and MS-8 is $799. I'm just trying to keep the information accurate, no intentions of being rude or anything. :)
You are right on this.... Anyway MSRP is just suggested retail price, some may sell it at that price but some won't. For me, I'll get the seller that can give me the best deal....

101 - 120 of 3092 Posts