DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
The question I have now is will this sound better than my Matt Roberts modified 701? It obviously has more tweakability but will that trumph Matt's magic?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The question I have now is will this sound better than my Matt Roberts modified 701? It obviously has more tweakability but will that trumph Matt's magic?
Good question. I'm holding on to mine for just a little while longer until we find out. :)

My main issue with the 701 was the analog input section. The 701 sucked at that and Matt's normal mod doesn't address it. My problem has been that there was no head unit with optical out and full digital iPod control via USB (not the older analog implementations). I run a changer with my 701 via optical and the difference is night and day, but the iPod with all of my CDs ripped in 400kbps AAC is just too convenient to pass up on. Now with the new double DIN head unit coming out that has optical, a modded 701 might be a great choice, especially considering that it's not clear as to whether or not the 800 will do Dolby Digital/DTS.

Another thing to consider is that the new processor will require the controller. The new double DIN unit will probably control the 701 completely, just like my IXA-W407 does. For those who don't want to run the controller, the 800 is a bad choice since it has been noted that you cannot control all of the features without the controller, even with the new head unit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the new processor will require the controller. The new double DIN unit will probably control the 701 completely, just like my IXA-W407 does. For those who don't want to run the controller, the 800 is a bad choice since it has been noted that you cannot control all of the features without the controller, even with the new head unit.
Good point. I just read that on the Car Audio Magazine.websiteAlpine at CES 2011 - Events - Car Audio and Electronics

·
18,358 Posts
For those who don't want to run the controller, the 800 is a bad choice since it has been noted that you cannot control all of the features without the controller, even with the new head unit.
Well, technically, you don't get all the features of the 700/701 without the controller, either. One being auto t/a. May be a couple other small settings as well, but that's one I can say for sure.
So, when we say that the 800 can't be used fully without the controller, just how fully are we saying?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
The processor and its controller are sold separately yet the controller is needed to take full advantage of its feature. I find it strange... almost stupid...
Unless they wanted to have to processor available for a lower price ; leaving the controller for those that wants more adjustability.

Kelvin

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
H-700 and RUX were sold separately as well.

from what Ive read, tuning on the 800 can be done with controller OR PC. So you dont NEED the rux for functionality.

also looking at the pics, it says DTS on it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, technically, you don't get all the features of the 700/701 without the controller, either. One being auto t/a. May be a couple other small settings as well, but that's one I can say for sure.
So, when we say that the 800 can't be used fully without the controller, just how fully are we saying?
Good point. :) I've never used that one I hadn't noticed. :D The W407's control of the 701 is excellent though. I really don't use my controller as more than a quick way to change presets these days.

The processor and its controller are sold separately yet the controller is needed to take full advantage of its feature. I find it strange... almost stupid...
Unless they wanted to have to processor available for a lower price ; leaving the controller for those that wants more adjustability.
You're probably right on the money. Maybe the PC software will let you set the curves you want and you can just change them with the head unit. That's another possibility. Maybe you don't need the controller if you use the PC? I think it's probably for those who want great sound but are happy with the IMPRINT curves and don't want to tweak things too much. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
does noone read anymore???
From CAE review of new Alpine products...link has been posted a few times already above

•User Customization, which gives the user the option to customize the sound via manual or automatic settings – Using either the RUX-C800 controller (sold separately) or a PC with the included tuning software, manual, target curve and post process tuning can be made. The user can customize the sound traditionally by hand or automatically tune it to a desired response, while also allowing for full adjustment for fine tuning afterwards.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
H-700 and RUX were sold separately as well.

from what Ive read, tuning on the 800 can be done with controller OR PC. So you dont NEED the rux for functionality.

also looking at the pics, it says DTS on it
Totally forgot that the RUX was sold separately from its processor as well. :blush:

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I think the confusion came from Jim's reply to Mic's question about non-Alpine HUs. Basically if you're using a factory HU or some other non-Alpine HU, you'll need the RUX to control volume. The only reason you'd use a laptop instead of the RUX (other than preference) is if you had an Alpine HU with Ai-Net to control the volume; otherwise, it appears the RUX is required, which isn't any different than the H700/701. It would be nice if the analog inputs from a factory HU could control the volume and just use the laptop to tune... ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
My main issue with the 701 was the analog input section. The 701 sucked at that and Matt's normal mod doesn't address it. My problem has been that there was no head unit with optical out and full digital iPod control via USB (not the older analog implementations). I run a changer with my 701 via optical and the difference is night and day, but the iPod with all of my CDs ripped in 400kbps AAC is just too convenient to pass up on. Now with the new double DIN head unit coming out that has optical, a modded 701 might be a great choice, especially considering that it's not clear as to whether or not the 800 will do
You can pic up an older 160 gb Apple TV on eBay/craigslist for around $100-$125. It has optical out (700/701 has three optical in, and the 800 will have a pair of them), and with a component to composite video converter, a power inverter, and an aux in on a screen, you have 160 gigs of music and videos with 100% digital sound quality and a sick GUI/software to use/look at!! I've been really looking at this for a little while now. Hell, new Lilliput monitors have the option of HDMI in, so that would axe the coverter you'd be using on a DDIN aux video in. I'm going to be doing something along these lines in my truck.

121 - 140 of 3092 Posts