DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 3092 Posts

·
18,358 Posts
Hey, that's cheap :)
So, who will be the first reviewer? Erin? Kyheng?
We'll see. I don't have any connections with anyone regarding Alpine so I'm sure I won't be getting one early enough to warrant putting up a review. I imagine by the time I get my hands on one, someone will have put one up. But, we'll see. Plus, I don't really have the disposable income I once had... babies are expensive! :eek:

If I can get one early enough, then I'll try to do a thorough review based on my experience with other DSPs and put it up here. I actually really enjoying doing reviews ...so, I'll see what I can do. :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Whoever said that they hope it has a spectrum analyzer on it, I'm going to have to second that in a major way. I really adds to the awe of an amazing system to see those bars dancing up and down.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Whoever said that they hope it has a spectrum analyzer on it, I'm going to have to second that in a major way. I really adds to the awe of an amazing system to see those bars dancing up and down.
Yup, I miss that on my long departed ERA-G320. Might be only for "cool" factor, but it's neato.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wonder how the optical in is handled. Is it selectable? Or like the 700 is it prioritized?

I run a HU and a carputer, but never could have them sending signal simultaneously to the 700 without it prioritizing to the HU signal in. I had to run an MJS optical switch instead.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Also, I think the lights to the right of the power light in the center of the unit put the question of DTS and DD to rest...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I wonder how the optical in is handled. Is it selectable? Or like the 700 is it prioritized?

I run a HU and a carputer, but never could have them sending signal simultaneously to the 700 without it prioritizing to the HU signal in. I had to run an MJS optical switch instead.
As I remember, with the C700/C701 display you could select the input.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
How the hell have I missed this thread? I have been an alpine hater for a long time now (since the fall of the F#1). I tried the 505/701/872/bt/dvd changer, etc.... and absolutely hated every part of it, except the cosmetics of the screen/ipod etc.. (to be fair I went straight the last f#1 to this setup, not a fair comparison in my estimation, and far away from my drz9255 setup before the f1). Am I the only one that see's a lot of similarity to the F#1 Processor? I am super excited about this! I might even break down and try the IVA-W910, unless they happen to figure out a way to charge an obscene amount for any additional accessorys and have to run power etc... to every one of them as well. Another thing I hated about them, it was just an unecessary PITA. I imagine this would be very hard to do considering everything is internal to the headunit! I am intrigued and interested in giving them another shot now....Would have never guessed I would see this day?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It appears Alpine is not going to reveal the msrp of the INV-w910 until they blow out all of their 2010 w900BTs, which they currently have just discounted $150 now to $999. While the new w910 will likely be more, it probably won't be much more, even with all the built in stuff like SiriusXM and HD radio, and will likely be a far better value.

Q: Has it been determined if any/all of the older Alpine touchscreens with Ai-net and optical out will work with the H800? Even if they might work, if one wants bluetooth, XM/Sirius and/or HD radio then unless the new w910 is $1300+, the w910 might still be the best choice given all the older units require pricey add-ons. If they announce a $1200 or less price tag for the w910, there will be a lot of cheap alpine touchscreens and add-on gear for sale out there very soon.

Curious about a couple things with the w910... I think it was asked, but not sure I saw an answer... will the w910 optical be proprietary and cost $130 bux like with the w505, or will it be basic toslink?

Just looking at the following H800 features, alone, it would appear to me that the H700 and H701s are far less capable than the new unit by a long shot:

10 Band Parametric EQ On Front, Rear and Center channel (vs 5 on H701)

5 Band Parametric EQ For Subwoofer (vs 2 on H701)

36dB XO Slopes

Huge Signal-to-Noise Improvement 110 Digital / 105 Analog

Anyone have the signal-to-noise ratio figure handy on the 701? What were crossover slopes was the 701 capable of? It would seem the above improvements alone would justify buying the newer piece for *anyone* interested in an alpine processor.

Lastly, one question about the w910 - says it can run Pandora through an iPhone...think this is exclusive to the iPhone, and marketing agreements require Alpine to advertise only iPhone compatibility, or think a Blackberry or Android Pandora feed would work? Or maybe it is actually an apple software issue that allows only the iPhone to work?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok, so 6db greater slopes are possible with the H800 and 5-10db less noise than the h701.

On another note... from a Feb 6th Alpine press release: "It [the HC800] has 4V outputs and a new input architecture that allows for use of the car’s factory radio volume control while maintaining fidelity."

Okay, why wouldn't optical-out cd players like the Eclipse CD8053 (others?) now be able to take advantage of this "new input architecture?" Seems like someone asked about this but the question's answer seemed to suggest controlling volume from an non-Alpine head unit wasn't possible without excessive noise issues?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Ok, so 6db greater slopes are possible with the H800 and 5-10db less noise than the h701.

On another note... from a Feb 6th Alpine press release: "It [the HC800] has 4V outputs and a new input architecture that allows for use of the car’s factory radio volume control while maintaining fidelity."

Okay, why wouldn't optical-out cd players like the Eclipse CD8053 (others?) now be able to take advantage of this "new input architecture?" Seems like someone asked about this but the question's answer seemed to suggest controlling volume from an non-Alpine head unit wasn't possible without excessive noise issues?
I've been wondering how volume wouldn't be dependent on input this entire time. Maybe you would need the display or W910 to control the H800 volume, but not volume in general. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but this is where my mind has been since the issue was brought up.

Also, CD8053 optical out? I don't remember that being the case. Maybe I'll have to crack open the new one I have at the house and take a look.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Seems like someone asked about this but the question's answer seemed to suggest controlling volume from an non-Alpine head unit wasn't possible without excessive noise issues?
With a digital signal but without an Ai-Net equipped Alpine unit, the only way to control the volume is via the RUX-C800 controller. If you want to feed the H800 with an analog signal (say from the stock HU), then you can probably use the HU's volume, but the processor's volume would have to be maxxed at all times; thus introducing more noise (probably). :)

All of this is guesswork, since all we've seen are photos and specs.

·
18,358 Posts
^ I'd bet you're right.
I'd imagine it works the same as the h701 in this regard:
1) AI-net capable headunit connected = volume control with headunit (source)
2) Non AI-net headunit yields the following two scenarios:
a) Digital connection= volume control with controller
b) Analog connection= volume control with source

With analog (rca) input, on the h701, you could just set the c701 volume to whatever you want and then do the rest of the volume control from the headunit you used. Same story with most all other processors (bit1, ms8, etc).

However, I can't remember if you have to leave the c701 controller plugged into the h701 all the time or if you can just set the volume and then disconnect it. Seems like the latter is true. Just been a while since I've owned the setup.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
^ I'd bet you're right.
I'd imagine it works the same as the h701 in this regard:
1) AI-net capable headunit connected = volume control with headunit (source)
2) Non AI-net headunit yields the following two scenarios:
a) Digital connection= volume control with controller
b) Analog connection= volume control with source

With analog (rca) input, on the h701, you could just set the c701 volume to whatever you want and then do the rest of the volume control from the headunit you used. Same story with most all other processors (bit1, ms8, etc).

However, I can't remember if you have to leave the c701 controller plugged into the h701 all the time or if you can just set the volume and then disconnect it. Seems like the latter is true. Just been a while since I've owned the setup.
from what I remember when I did it, you had to leave it connected.

also when using a non-ainet head unit w digital input, when you switched sources, you had to redo the inputs thru the RUX.
So when I ran my Denon w/ the H700, for CDs I'd have to go in and select digital. if I switched to XM I had to select analog...made for an annoying drive to Lousville that year

141 - 160 of 3092 Posts