DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

686K views 3K replies 414 participants last post by  bradsk88 
#1 ·
So I was at the MERA Knowledgefest the last couple of days and a certain high profile Alpine employee was there for some of the trainings. At the end of one of them I asked when the new PXA-H701 was coming out. His response "soon enough". I about ****, because I was just kidding!!! After it was over, I approached him for more info, but he said he had already told me too much. Afterwards, I met him down in the exhibition hall and tried once more for some information. I got way more than I ever expected. Basically, it's going to be very similar, with some really cool improvements, in the same basic price range, and will indeed have an optical in. After he told me the optical part, I had to ask if that meant a resurgence in optical outs for the screens and/or head units. He told me that it wouldn't make much sense to produce a high end processor with an optical in and not offer a head unit with an optical out. It should also either include or have the option of a separate single din controller, much like the RUX-C701.

SO, there you go. I have a feeling that I'll be getting in trouble for this somehow, but I also feel like I should share this incredibly exciting news with you guys. I know there is probably a better suited area for this, but I wasn't sure what it was and because this section gets much more traffic, I thought it would be seen. Thanks, and I hope you are as excited as I am!!!

See less See more
#489 ·
Hi Jim,

In all the photos of the PXA-H800, there seems to be missing the Guide Control input for the KCE-900E interface to mix the Nav voice coming from the NVE-M300P.

How does the PXA-H800 deal with this?

#492 · (Edited)
Jim, my 701 had bad noise habits, particularly with DD 5.1 processing, a fair bit less in DTS 5.1. Stereo wasnt too bad but still discernible. When i complained to Alpine Australia about the noise they didn't care whatsover.

I'm thinking the noise when using dolby 5.1 was more a processing issue than simply a signal to noise thing? Is this improved on the 800??

#494 ·
No I didn't- the processor was in the back of the car and away from power cables etc. I don't think that was the issue (but happy to be taught otherwise if thats the case), as stated the noise was really bad for Dolby digital 5.1, so it was a change in noise when the format changed from 2 channel to Dolby. DTS wasn't as bad, but Dolby was terrible to the point of embarrassing given the $$ spent on the rest of the system so i never used it.

When you turned the volume down to zero the noise went away completely, as soon as it started processing the signal form the head unit at volume 1, noise came on thick and strong.

#498 ·
Jim, suppose I have some 24-bit / 96 kHz FLAC files. Would it work to burn those to DVD-Audio format and play in the W910? I'm not here to debate whether or not 24/96 is or isn't an audible improvement in the typical car system, I'm just curious if the W910 / H800 would make full use of the increased amount of music data.

Thanks for all the info here!

#533 ·
Jim,

Any word on this? Im interested because i have a CarPC that is running the AUDIOTRAK PRODIGY HD2 ADVANCE DE sound card that has a TOSLINK Optical out, the sound card outputs up to 24Bit/192KHz through the optical out. So im wondering if the H800 would be able to keep up with that or if i might have any problems with it being compatible. I was also wondering if the H800 will accept the SPDIF signal from the sound card through a regular TOSLINK cable. Info on this would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for all your replies Jim! Im sure i speak for everyone when i say it is Greatly appreciated.

#503 ·
Well, it seems like according to Alpine Japan's website, the factory is fine. But Japan in general does still have rolling blackouts. The real Alpine issue is their distribution center sounds like it got wiped out by the tsunami (distribution right on the coast for ship loading/etc.)

So, wait and see I guess.

#507 ·
I'll chime in, but it isn't with good news ...

We are working through one last issue found in testing. That bug was found on the day of the incident in Japan. As our website/press releases have said, the Iwaki, Japan facility has been closed up until last yesterday. So, before the quake, we had some delays .. and now with it, we expect some more before we get back running.

All that said, we took the cautious route as of last week and have delayed the "official" intro to MERA, where we are planning on doing a full class/training a la Andy and Larry. The MERA crowd (along with you guys) are the exact market for a product like this and we're focusing on a few key intros at that show to make it a strong showing for us.

Sorry to all of those that have PM'd me over the past few weeks, I've been out on the road at our trainings ... and I wasn't really ready to answer the questions about samples/timings/etc etc. This whole situation is a bit of a downer for all of us here, especially those with family back in Northern Japan (not me).

With some good news ...
I have it up and running in my Jeep, and it sounds incredible. ImprintEQ is changed significantly for the better, it is actually louder than my RTA/Ear-tuned setup ... not like Imprint of old where you had to turn the gains way down, etc. I still prefer my own tune, like many of you will, but playing with the post-processing is nice to tailor it to taste. In a non-active 2-way 6.5" front stage, the center image is dead on ... and time correction is excellent. For my tastes (being a front stage only guy), I found that ImprintEQ added a bit more rear fill than I like, but a simple -4dB on that setting takes care of that. Overall balance of the sound is really nice, specifically the bass is much more linear and balanced sounding vs. last-gen.

That's about it .. let me know if you guys have any questions.

Thanks
Jim

#511 ·
Jim-

Thank you for your candid honesty about the situation. Though I am sorry to hear that the product will be delayed, I'm certain that we all would rather wait for things to be completely squared away before it gets into everyone's hands. It's good for those of us who have installs in the works whose design decisions may hinge on the H800's availability to know where things stand. Again, thanks!

-Todd

#514 · (Edited)
Hey Jim

I am sure you are busy as heck (due to the unfortunate occurrences in japan) but I was wondering if you had and inkling or could hint to the approximate release date of the H800 (hopefully all of those bugs are getting worked out) maybe the H800 will be released at the same time as the w910????

I hate to ask this but I have been pestering my local alpine dealer to no end and they claim they haven't heard anything other than April!

Hopefully you can tell us something!!! We are eager for the release!

Thanks

#519 ·
Hey it says on the site that the time correction can be adjusted from 0 - 20ms in 5ms increments, is this correct? If so then that doesnt sound like a very big range, thats only 4 increments by what there saying.

#516 ·
I'm hoping I can get one of these to review and share here and on other sites. I've been itching to write a review on a product for a while and this sucker definitely looks worth the time to pursue. Hopefully we can work something out. Otherwise, I'll be accepting donations to buy one, lol. (j/k) ;)

#526 · (Edited)
I know Jim read's here somewhat.. but what i wanted to voice is my total DISPLEASURE in Alpines USA customer support..I have called 4x and I cannot get a straight forward answer for customer service and the last guy I told very politely sir" I have asked you the same questions 3x and you have not answered it." the question is please list me all the file formats that the IDA-305S will play from an Ipod Classic! I have yet to receive an straight forward answer ..MY 305 will not play FLAC, WAV or any other lossless file I can load on it. BEFORE I purchased this unit I called Alpine customer support and they said IF the IPOD would play IT then the ALPINE would play it.. and yea I was aware that the flash or HDD limitations were limited to MP#, AAC and MMA.

just letting you know all I got was politicians type answers to a simple yes/ no/ gimme a list question.. not once but 4x..

so what is the truth?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.