DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my first install in a 2009 F350 and have decided to go with some 5.25" comps. I was at a B&M buying 2 sets of Alpine SPX-13REF and the guy said he did not have any but could sell me 2 sets of D652a for the same price. I have looked far and wide for a review or opinion about these speakers and have not found anything.

They look similar and around the same quality to me.

I know little to nothing about what makes a speaker good or bad so i am in the dark.

If you guys had your choice which would you pick and why?, And also whould you go with a 6.5 over 5.25 if you had the room?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Coincidentally I was looking at the Alpine X and the Diamond S600s and by sifting through the reviews decided on these Alpine SPX-17REF Product Ratings And Reviews There were some good reviews for the Diamonds, but it seems these were of the older Eton made midbasses and the newer systems some said are voiced poorly/very bright.
Specifically I was looking for more lower treble energy than my present CDT comps as the tweeters are placed in the kickpanels. The SPX-17REFs delivered this satisfactorily, but the system also gives a full/punchy midbass and a nicely detailed midrange. I was a bit leary of the metal cones' possible harsness from cone breakup, but the x-over seems to handle this well.
With regards to a 6.5 vs 5.25", I would go with a well executed 6.5 system as long as the tweeter can handle the transition on its low end. This assumes that the similar 6.5 will give you stronger/lower midbass which will make sub blending easier.
Also it looks like you are looking at two sets of comps? You may want to do some reading here on front stage only + sub vs w/ rearfill. Might shape your system and save you some money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading Monkeys post i think i am going the wrong way with this install and the Diamonds seem to be not as good as the dealer has told me in comparison to some Alpines. Here is a list of what i have bought so far, If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to chime in. I need all the help i can get :rolleyes:

Alpine IVAW 505/P1
(2) Diamond D652A 5.25"
Kicker TCVT10 behind the rear seat
Alpine PDX4100
Alpine PDX1600
Alpine Imprint
and all the other goodies for the deck

After reading monkeys post im having this feeling that the Alpines are a way better choice and maybe even drop 1 set of comps and upgrade to maybe a set of Alpine SPX-17PRO in the fronts.

Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
After reading Monkeys post i think i am going the wrong way with this install and the Diamonds seem to be not as good as the dealer has told me in comparison to some Alpines. Here is a list of what i have bought so far, If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to chime in. I need all the help i can get :rolleyes:

Alpine IVAW 505/P1
(2) Diamond D652A 5.25"
Kicker TCVT10 behind the rear seat
Alpine PDX4100
Alpine PDX1600
Alpine Imprint
and all the other goodies for the deck

After reading monkeys post im having this feeling that the Alpines are a way better choice and maybe even drop 1 set of comps and upgrade to maybe a set of Alpine SPX-17PRO in the fronts.

Thanks again in advance.
One set of comps and focusing on optimizing/tuning your front stage will vastly improve your chances of success for improved SQ. As it looks like you are going passive the SPX-17PRO is noted to have a good deal of adjustability on the x-over and the tweeter has had overwhelmingly great reviews.
Can you return those 2 sets of Diamonds?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts