DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 10'' alpine type E in a sealed enclosure in my single cab s10. The sub is being powered by a kicker kx 250.2, 250 rms @ 4 ohms. I have been thinking about upgrading the sub. I would really like to go with the 10'' alpine type R sub, but it will be powered by the kicker kx 250 amp. Will I benefit at all by swapping out the type E for the type R if they are being powered by the same amp. I am limited to enclosure size, but the type R recommends a pretty small ported enclosure. So I could go ported to take advantage of the smaller amp. Any help?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I would do the upgrade only if you are also swapping the sealed box for a ported box.

If you are using the sealed box, I would upgrade if the type R is more efficient.

Other then that, I would keep it the same.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for the type E it recomends a much larger box for a sealed enclosure, but the type R can go in a much smaller box for a ported enclosure. The type R will play down to 23 hz though, the type e will only go to 29 i think.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know its two completely different setups - so its questionable what would apply to you.

But .... FWIW .... I thought two Type-R 12's in a sealed box were terrible (in many ways).

Just went ported this weekend and its better.

But ... I think the Type-R's are pretty inefficient. And they will take power all day long from amps rated 50%+ more RMS watts than what the Type-R's are spec'd at. So, not sure how well they do on less than RMS wattage.

My 2 cents - which is probably worth less than that. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How big was the sealed box you had them in? What kind of amp was powering them? I will need something that is very efficient to make the little amount of power I am giving it into something that sounds good.

I have had my eye on the type S, but I dont know if that would be much of an upgrade either?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How big was the sealed box you had them in? What kind of amp was powering them? I will need something that is very efficient to make the little amount of power I am giving it into something that sounds good.

I have had my eye on the type S, but I dont know if that would be much of an upgrade either?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the subs in separate sealed compartments - each about 1 cu ft gross internal (around .9 net). I decided to give them a bit more space than what Alpine recommended.

The amp is a Rockford T1500-1db, rated at 1500w rms @ 1ohm (birth sheet'd at 1800w) - I am running it in a 1 ohm config (dual 4 ohm VC's - 2 subs).

Surprisingly, the ported configuration seems to take more power and sound clean than the sealed enclosure did. Low frequency roll-off seemed pretty dang bad in the sealed box too - thankfully, I had EQ points at 31.5Hz, 45Hz, and 63 Hz - all of which required a couple dB bump to boost the low end.

I can't really say if you would need a more efficient sub to sound good - what you're going to mostly lose is volume. And I think that having a ported box over a sealed box will help immensely in that respect (at least with the Type-R).

There may very well be better drivers for the same price, especially for a lower power application.

Being such a noob - I don't know what those subs would be. Someone more experienced with drivers would have to answer that for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also a noob lol.

I really like Alpine equipment, but if someone wants to recomend a sub i am open to anything. The main problem is the mounting depth. The type r isnt very shallow either so maybe something not as deep would be better for my application. I have also been looking at going with a 8 in a ported enclosure. Something like the JL w3 maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts