DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1243D I am trying to figure out a cab design for. Thought I'd ask for others' input on this. I want to go vented with a ~30 or lower tune freq.

Right now I have a single 4" precision port but might go with a 3" or two 2".

Any tips/pics appreciated. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
In the owner's manual there is a 1.55 @ ~30Hz box that will fit your needs perfectly. Build it to spec and you will be very happy. It's got a 12 x 1.25 slot port that stays very clean even at high power levels >RMS.

That is a good, clean verstatile box with a lot of extension and will hit every note on "Put On" or "King Kong".

For something with a little more energy and punch, try 1.3 @ 35Hz. It won't have the extension but will add quite a bit more impact at the expense of a bit of accuracy and linearity.

jim

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the owner's manual there is a 1.55 @ ~30Hz box that will fit your needs perfectly. Build it to spec and you will be very happy. It's got a 12 x 1.25 slot port that stays very clean even at high power levels >RMS.

That is a good, clean verstatile box with a lot of extension and will hit every note on "Put On" or "King Kong".

For something with a little more energy and punch, try 1.3 @ 35Hz. It won't have the extension but will add quite a bit more impact at the expense of a bit of accuracy and linearity.

jim

Jim, thank you for your reply. What about a 2cuft with a 4" Precision Port. Sub rear facing and the port firing out the side. I already bought the port and would like to utilize it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're going for lows:

I think I am going to try the OM design as Jim suggested, slightly modified to make room for extensive internal bracing. Basically I am going to make it about an inch or two taller to bump net cubes slightly (which will be counteracted by the bracing for the most part).

My longer-term goal (to hit those low-lows with authority) will be to use a lower-Fs sub, sealed against the forward trunk bulkhead (firing into cabin) and also vented directly into the cabin with the 4" precision port. I have my eyes on the JL 13w6, Aura NS 12", and the Dayton 12 HF (love its low 18hz Fs.)

Open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a sketchup of the recommended enclosure beefed up with a doubled front baffle.

I did mine a little differently:

This one has no bend in the port itself... I intend to chamfer/round over the inner edge of the slot's top panel, and put a smoothing layer of caulk in that outer corner. I did a rough model of the woofer itself so I could place my bracing.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim, thank you for your reply. What about a 2cuft with a 4" Precision Port. Sub rear facing and the port firing out the side. I already bought the port and would like to utilize it. :)

I decided to do this design, although I swapped the woofer and port positions. Woofer is on the upper right side of the box, and the port outlet is on the left side. VERY pleased with the output. Pounds extremely hard with 900 watts on it (which is to be expected). Still working out the rest of the install details before I can make an evaluation of the SQ. One thing I want to do is better vent the trunk space into the cabin by cutting the 8" hole where the factory sub would normally go on the upgraded OEM system (mine was base setup without sub).

Anyway I am happy I went with the Precision port over the slot design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I an alpine type r 12 inch sub and it keeps busting the boxes i put it in so i need to make my own.can any one tell me the measurents so the box would be perfect. thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you want a strong pre-fab, I've had good luck with the Fierce XED12

Also, Atrend just began shipping an Alpine specific box tuned to 35Hz. Model is 12SVN

The best option is to build it custom .. for that, I'll always recommend the box that is in the owner's manual. Designed, built and tested by us in the Alpine shop. I ran 2 of those in my Jeep for nearly a year off of an M2000 before the 8s replaced them.

Hope that helps
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts