DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just doing some troubleshooting and can't eem to find the info i'm looking for about these crossovers. i know the x pros apparently had some lightbulb tweeter protection and was wondering if the ref ones had the same thing and if the bulbs are replaceable. i picked these up secondhand (from a shop so i should have some comeback) and didn't realise til after i put the set in that one tweeter wasn't playing ball, after some checking with a multimeter i found there's no connection in the crossover between either input and the positive tweeter out, the functioning crossover was all good so since i have 2 sets i decided i'll check the others before i swap and have the same issue and the other 2 had the same issue both on the positive tweeter output.

Is anybody able to shed some light on this? i can upload a pic of the crossover for reference, appears like some form of heat sink in the middle, wondering if the blown part is beneath it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got the covers off and found the bulbs but both are intact and not blown yet neither crossover has a positive tweeter out

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You are not going to be able to measure resistance from input to output because there is capacitive coupling in the path. You will have to put a low power waveform on the input and trace the AC signal through the circuit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 4 large clips are to hold a heat sink around the bulb assembly and the smaller cluster that look like fuse holders are the jumpers to the tweeter, having them in runs the set from one channel or you can remove the 2 jumpers for a passive bi amped crossover, I'll quickly double check with the good one again but there is continuity between every other input and corresponding output except for the positive tweeter

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
OK, I see the fuse holder thingies are just for a cover/heatsink.
Looks like you only need the 'Signal Link' jumpers on if you are not bi-amping.
Do what I said above and see if you can trace a high frequency test signal through the tweeter circuit (8kHz or so should work)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were right about not being able to test for continuity, the good one also shows the same result however when comparing them I did happen to find that even without the signal link jumpers on the bad one the woofer input is shorting somewhere with the tweeter out, looks like some digging needs doing

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never mind the crossover is fine? Got it tested back at the shop and turns out the tweeter was blown :/ at a loss for words what caused that as the wiring was done right from the beginning and hasn't changed. I hesitated putting a replacement tweet on not knowing what blew the first but everything seems to be working now, strange though but the guy at the shops a legend and gave me a spare set of pro tweeters he had laying around. But I suppose that's the end of this dilemma, hopefully the tweeter doesn't blow again though I never heard it work in the beginning, not sure whether it was messed up from the beginning

·
Registered
278 Posts
my type x xovers have a module that goes with them for several different settings. those appear to be the spx ref xovers that you have

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the ref and pro use different crossovers, I've seen the modules you speak of, not 100% sure what they do to change the sound when on and off axis but by the time I can use the pro tweeters I should be able to run them active and not worry about crossovers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts