DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody done the map update on there alpine w-910? I did mine last month, and now mines useless. Called alpine and he said, sorry about your luck, theres a disclaimer before you installed it.
Mine just locks up now on gps, saying auto detecting gps signal, worked perfect before update. Anybody had the problem and might know of a solution?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Bump. I've been aching for a map update (the W910 kindly reminds me to bug Alpine for an update once a year, and now 2 years later I see Alpine finally released one!).

Obviously speaking about this:
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Has anyone else had issues after updating? Seems like it contains quite a few worthwhile improvements along with the Map database and POI updates...

Thanks for any reports from the field :cool:

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Well that sucks as I wouldn't mind updating mine, but not at the expense of it locking up on me. Truth be told I never use the darn thing anyway and wish there were a way that I could eliminate it completely. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that sucks as I wouldn't mind updating mine, but not at the expense of it locking up on me. Truth be told I never use the darn thing anyway and wish there were a way that I could eliminate it completely. :D
Well don't do it.. Even the new features suck when it does work. I wanted to go back to the way it was, but alpine said I would have to send it in and have the main board replaced.. At my expense. As much as I like alpine products, I think this will be the last one I buy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry to hear about that as it would appear we are running out of manufacturers. :worried:
I agree. I was hoping there was a way to revert it back to default when I called. I was just going to suck up the 100.00 it cost for the upgrade as a loss. But then to be told I was SOL, wasn't what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I've kept my 910 as I was told it was the optimal way to run with my dsp/ rux. But at this rate is there any other options minus ones with navi that do the same thing ? :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've kept my 910 as I was told it was the optimal way to run with my dsp/ rux. But at this rate is there any other options minus ones with navi that do the same thing ? :confused:
Not with AI-NET and H800 integration :( But if you have a RUX-C800 with your H800, you can basically use any HU you want to and control DSP & Volume from the RUX...

Ruthless bump!

I'm looking for more reports of Alpine Map Update success before I drop $100 and possibly brick my INA-W910 like jrgreene1968 did (so sorry to hear about that, jrgreene1968!!!).

Thanks for ANY additional input from anyone that has performed this Alpine Map update. :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gonna brave it out. NVD-W912 Map Update ORDERED!!!

I'll cross my fingers that the map updates and improvements in NAV software will be worth the stress I inflict on myself during the update procedure :D

Please wish me luck. Will obviously report back with results once done...

Worst case scenario: I brick the W910, and will limp-by with an iPod and the RUX-C800+H800 running standalone...

Cross-posted in the other two threads as well...

:cool:

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Ok so based upon the fact that you were brave enough to try it, I said screw it and ordered it also. Worse comes to worse, I can always use my other Alpine radio with my H800 and my C800. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok so based upon the fact that you were brave enough to try it, I said screw it and ordered it also. Worse comes to worse, I can always use my other Alpine radio with my H800 and my C800. :D
We're in this together :beerchug:

I'm ambivalently awaiting the Map Update SD Card and one of two possible outcomes! :wacky:

I'm curious if having the H800 connected to the W910 could have any impact on the update procedure? I wouldn't instinctually see any issues, but I'm curious if we could compare Bollwerk's and jrgreene1968 exact Alpine/Ai-Net setups at the time of updating, and their exact Map Update procedures?

Maybe we can determine if a system variance or other actions during the update process could result in a bricked unit? I'll admit I'm a little hesitant - but screw it! Plan on crossing my fingers and following the instructions to the letter.

Also cross-posted this post/link in the main Map Update thread :)

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I'm not sure, but one thing that I can readily say is it has to be better then what I have currently. I purchased my 910 used from a forum member and no amount of resetting that I do will remove the home info in navi as his. So effectively if I want/ need to use the navi as a guide to my home from somewhere, I have to manually put it in as a destination each and every time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not to second guess you, but have you tried this instead of "resetting" the unit:

Save your desired location in your address book (not as "Home", but just as a plain entry in your address book).
Then search for and select this address book entry as your destination.
Then click the "Options" button on the lower right.
You'll see a "Set as HOME" button spanning across the bottom of the screen.
Select an icon and save.

I apologize if you've (very likely) already tried this :eek:

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
No, I have not tried that and trust me I appreciate the fact of you suggesting it. Time to head out yo the garage and see if that does anything for this unit. Thanks again, and when my sd card arrives, I will let you Post hopefully the good outcome. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well according to UPS tracking, mine should here by Friday. :D
Looking for a Tuesday delivery here. Will likely hold off until my day off on Thursday before I take the plunge into the unknown (will either end up with a brick, or a better Navigation experience!).

Did you figure out how to change the "Home" address on your second-hand W910? :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Also bumping for Bollwerk and jrgreene1968 to see if we can compare notes for any more details on what not to do (how to avoid a bricked unit):

We're in this together :beerchug:

I'm ambivalently awaiting the Map Update SD Card and one of two possible outcomes! :wacky:

I'm curious if having the H800 connected to the W910 could have any impact on the update procedure? I wouldn't instinctually see any issues, but I'm curious if we could compare Bollwerk's and jrgreene1968 exact Alpine/Ai-Net setups at the time of updating, and their exact Map Update procedures?

Maybe we can determine if a system variance or other actions during the update process could result in a bricked unit? I'll admit I'm a little hesitant - but screw it! Plan on crossing my fingers and following the instructions to the letter.

Also cross-posted this post/link in the main Map Update thread :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts