DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for any of you experienced W505 an d H701 folks out there I need an answer to something.

I have the W505, as I'm sure you've guessed by now, and I aquired a PXA-H701 as well. I'm getting ready to install these as well as the rest of my system and I need a hand with how to hook em up.

I'm going to run a 3 way active system in front. But I have kids, and with them, I'm installing two headrest screens in the back. Well I need some rear fill for them to hear the sound for the tv's and they're too finiky to use the head phones.

So I'm using the H701 for the front active set up, and the subs, but I have a separate amp to run the rear fill.

Here's my question.

With the H701 hooked up with the Ai-net cable, can I still use the rear rca's on the W505 to run the rear fill amp or do the rca outputs on the 505 become disconnected with the 701 in use?

Hope that makes since. If not please ask questions, I'll be happy to answer. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yes, you can use the 505 preouts, they work even when the unit is connected to the 701.

I haven't tried it with my 505 yet (well I've sold my 701 anyway) but I can't think of any reason why it should be different to the tons of other combos I've used (9835, 9855, 9861, D310, all paired with the 701).

·
Registered
334 Posts
So did it work? I'm getting ready to do about the same thing, although I might just run the rear fill off of the HU if I can.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what I'm not even close to that point yet. I am just starting the wireing at this point. I would be happy to let you know if you want, but it'll be a while. You can watch my post if you want as well. I'll be posting periodically when i do stuff. That will eventutally be involved as well. I don't know how soon you plan to install this but like I said I'm a ways off from that point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ya, I'm still in the purchasing stage myself. But, I'm definately in the same boat as you, in that I need rear fill. Are you running 2 or 3 way up front? I guess what I'm wanting to do is run a 3 way active up front off the H701, sub off the HU preamp, and rear fill off the HU itself. Not really sure if that can be done though.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately you can't do it that way. I'm running a 3 way active front and then the subs off the H701 and then i wanted to run the rear fill off of the h/u pre outs. I called Alpine and they said that when you hook up the H701 you have to flip the switch on that 505 and that eliminates the use of the outs on the H/U.

I'm running the rear headrest package from alpine, the PKG-M780 and it has pre outs. So I'm going to use the preouts on that to run the amp on my rear fill. Since it won't be on unless the dvd is on then it's perfect. If you're not going that route, I'm not sure what else to do.

You're welcome to try the speaker outs on the H/U but it's my understanding that it will not operate. This, again, is from Alpine Tech support.

I wish I could help more. Hope you're able to get it done.

The only other thing, that I considered, is that I've been told that the front will be good enough to hear pretty well in the rear and eliminate the rear fill all together. But I don't know about that yet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. I have no doubt that the front will provide enough sound for the whole car, just makes it tough for a conversation in the front if someone in the rear wants music. I wonder if its possible with another processor... Audison bit one, or Rockford 3sixty, etc..? I haven't actually bought the HU yet, so my options are still open in that regard. Guess I don't really need rear fill, but it sure would come in handy at times.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know. I know that there is a thread on here about the audison bit one and there's not so great things about right now. But I'd do some research on it for sure. The only thing i don't like about the RF is that you have to have that palm to program it. Not wanting to spend another couple hundred bucks to program an already expensive processor. Otherwise I might have just gone with that since all my other stuff is RF.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I called Alpine and they said that when you hook up the H701 you have to flip the switch on that 505 and that eliminates the use of the outs on the H/U.
How can that be? You can hook the 701 up and use the analog outputs of the 505 to the 701, can't you? So, they do work even when you have the switch flipped to EQ/DIV. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it has to do with the settings on the h701. I'm just going off of what they said at alpine. I'm willing to try the analog outputs but the way I'm going to do it originally, through my m780 brain, works better for me. But I'll give it a try for the sake of the team!

·
Registered
363 Posts
hey sorry for the hijack on the thread but i have a similar question
but my hu is the alpine d310 hu
can i use the pre outs on the d310 brain to get an extra signal for rearfill? im not sure if it will work bcuz on the brain there is eq and norm switch

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I thought I replied to this. I'm not sure cause I just asked about my set up. But again I called alpine and asked them. I'm going to try my way and see, if nothing else for info for the rest of you wanting to know. But it's gonna be a while.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I thought I replied to this. I'm not sure cause I just asked about my set up. But again I called alpine and asked them. I'm going to try my way and see, if nothing else for info for the rest of you wanting to know. But it's gonna be a while.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When I had the combo, I was just going to use the center ch. of the H701 for rear fill. It'll be mono but atleast you'll have some eq/xover/and T/A settings to play with.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How then would the sub channel run? Cause that's actually a good idea. Being it's only for the dvd's and the kids I'm not so worried about the timing etc. I am building pods in the rear apillars thought to get them up higher and point them more directly towards the rear passengers. But if I did that I would only have one output for the rear channel and the subwoofer. How would that affect the sub's sound and how would I run that?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
any updates on this?
Sorry bro I'm not at that point yet. I'm trying though. I'm going to try and get my second a pillar done today or this week sometime, build the rear fill pods, install the W505, Headrest screes, and the H701, before the weekend of May 16th. I'm leaving that friday for a trip to reno and it's a couple hours and I want it to be a comfortable, smooth sounding ride. That and it's just a goal I'm setting for myself. If I really work hard maybe I can get my SLS 8's in by then too. But that's a hell of a build in it self, to get those pods in the doors. WE'll see what happens!;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts