DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the CDA-117 and imprint set. Tried running it and I keep getting an error code 2. I've looked online and most of the solutions that are posted are for the 9889 head unit. Here are some things I've tried already.
- Reinstall drivers
- Plug all cables in first, then turn to ACC, and LAST start up software.
- Use XP instead of Windows 7.

I honestly do not know what else to do. Anyone every encounter this error before or possibly have some ideas on what to do?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Its a driver issue I think. Totally uninstall everything. Reinstall the drivers FIRST (there is a separate "install drivers" file to open). Then install Sound Manager. And is this really XP or a virtual machine running XP from Win 7?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a VM since I am unable to install XP. Windows 7 complains that I'm trying to install an older version of windows if I try to install from HDD and if I try to install from a disk then it complains saying there is no hard drive.

Could a low battery in the car also cause this? I tried running this test about 6 times today using different methods and on the 6th time the stereo shut off and the car had to be jump started.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't think its a battery issue. I know for me I uninstalled everything and did the drivers first and I have not had a single error since.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was getting the same thing on a Win 7 machine. I switched to an XP laptop, and it worked like a charm. Try hooking a battery charger up to the car as well. In my research, I found a link saying if the car battery drops below 12.3v, you'll get the error -2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up busting out the old laptop with XP on it and finally got it imprinted. The first go around I tried my own locations just on the driver seat and it sounded horrible. Extremely 'tinny' and just not full sounding at all.
The second time I used the locations the imprint suggested and it worked pretty well but not great. I ended up choosing linear and reference and IMO linear sounded 10x better. Reference just had very little mids and seemed to boost treble a ton. Linear was good but not great. It still seemed to lack mids and like others have said, the subwoofer was set very modestly. I did set my bass knob and level on the deck to the lowest but not the gain on the amp.
I also noticed that the time alignment wasn't very good. It seemed to place everything about 6" to the right of my head and just didn't seem precise. It also set the rear speaker volume louder than the fronts! So all I did was turn down the gain on the amp for the rears and it helped but it still surprised me. I did like how it seemed to maintain the curve from low to high volumes. My pioneer was only good around medium volume or a little higher. I thought I read somewhere that the imprint unit measures at different volumes and creates a bunch of curves so that is probably why.
The one thing I didn't understand was how it even equalized. For the first location it placed a chirps from low to high volumes in all speakers but the 6 locations after that just played one very loud chirp. I find it odd that it didn't do different volumes with all 6 locations. I also thought that the chirps were for the time alignment and not the eq.

So to compare it to my pioneer. The overall quality and 'fullness' of the sound is quite a bit better although still seems to be lacking. The time alignment is pretty bad in comparison. On my old pioneer deck it literally sounded like the music was coming from a point about 2 feet in front of me. So in the end I think if I can get the time alignment and mids better then I'd say the purchase was worth it but right now it isn't.
The CDA-117 interface just isn't very user friendly, you can't change TA, eq, or other values if you use an imprint curve, and it lacks built-in bluetooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts