DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we have the traditional IB....I am not interested in that.

Rather, I am interested in a sealed enclosure that would be fired directly into the cabin, mounted in the trunk passthrough. Everything would be sealed, including the rear deck and rear quarter panels for an 'acoustic seal'.

Currently, I have my rear deck completely sealed, via mat deadening on the deck itself, and expanding foam in the voids beneath, and around the quarterpanel. I ensured that all voids are sealed. In addition, I have my midbass (TB 6x9 subwoofer) mounted in the rear deck.

I am planning on having my subwoofers (2 x12") to be acoustically sealed into the cabin, via a sealed enclosure.

I want to do this to regain some trunk space back. I do not want to do IB because I want to keep the trunk for the midbass.....

Does anyone have experience with such a setup?

Compared with the traditional sealed setup in the trunk, what are the differences with the aformentioned setup (Freq response, SPL, etc).

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
my sub is set up just like that. idq-12 in a small sealed enclosure, acoustically sealed to the cabin via the ski pass such that it directly pressurizes the cabin.

and i love it!

:D

sub box mounts to this baffle via 4 L-brackets.

this is the baffle from the front side - note that the sub was not mounted at this point.

with the sub mounted and speaker grill cloth, all you see from the cabin is this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks great!

more importantly....what difference, as compared with the traditional sealed subwoofer setup have you noticed?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it is still technically a traditional sealed subwoofer setup... it just mates to the cabin so that the waves don't have to bounce around in trunk while some find their way to the cabin.
ok...

but compared with a sealed setup firing in the trunk, do you notice any differences? sorry i wasn't clearer with my first question...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
yes, absolutely. big change in volume and response this way. with this car this is the only way i have had it, but i had a very similar bmw prior to this one and tried it both ways. this way is far superior.

however i have been thinking about trying a 15 or two ib through the ski pass next. :)

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I've come close to what you are asking... Just didn't have the trunk sealed from the cabin well...

I've been finding out that 100% sealed is not 100% necessary... more the better, but not 100%...

The new car WILL be 99.9% sealed and IB...

As far as differences in sound with it firing into the cabin, I couldn't tell you 100%, this is the only install i've done this way.... Older install to BTW, before I knew what i know now about caps... lol...

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
It is the way to go if you have a steel wall behind rear seat back like in bmws. I don't want to touch rear shelf (IB) so I am going to seal one up against the wall. Driving with a subwoofer box on the back seat is not a solution :) .

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean like this.

Shane
Exactly....that is what i am planning on mine to look like.....i don't think i will pay attention to aestetics so much, because my rear seat does not fold down.....

I've come close to what you are asking... Just didn't have the trunk sealed from the cabin well...

I've been finding out that 100% sealed is not 100% necessary... more the better, but not 100%...

The new car WILL be 99.9% sealed and IB...

As far as differences in sound with it firing into the cabin, I couldn't tell you 100%, this is the only install i've done this way.... Older install to BTW, before I knew what i know now about caps... lol...
looks very nice......wish my older installs (and the one i have now) looked remotely like that ;) that car must ride on fricken rails

Driving with a subwoofer box on the back seat is not a solution :) .
why not :p

I will have several observations once i do complete this installation.....

-comparison of traditional sealed setup in a trunk, as compared with what i plan on doing....

-comparison of a rear deck mounted midbass...i know my observations will not put this to bed, but so far, i am liking the rear deck midbass....not perfect by any means (my setup NEVER will be), but has a pleasing sound to it....once the subwoofer is installed, i will have a 99% seal in the back, so i'm expecting my midbass response to improve somewhat to say the least...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts