DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to an unlimited supply of 2mm thick, sheets of recycled tire rubber. The material is dense, pliable and heavy... 1/2lbs per sq. ft. Basically 2 layers is the equivalent of 3/16" nominal MLV.
I'd like to know if any members would be interested in purchasing some, before I commit to buying a pallet of this stuff.
Best of all, it's "GREEN"!( for all you tree huggers)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point!
The material hardly smells ...i'll leave a sample on the dashboard and let bake in the sun to see if it stinks up the interior or not.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yup good idea, a big sample though. A french fry under the seat doesn't really stink up the place much. ;):D
Nice,If it works out and the price is right i would give it a shot. So please report back.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Just remembered we carry around a huge chunk off rubber in the trunk with no ill effects. I'd still test this one out though, all rubber isn't created equal.

That being said, I would strongly suggest looking into or waiting to see if someone provides the science behind this material as a sound blocking material.

It might not do enough for the added weight. It might be hazardous in a car (ie highly flammable). Dunno, just throwing things out there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i would be interested in trying it out! i just got a new Daily driver beater, that needs some road noise killed and i was actually looking at bulk rubber floor mats to try and do it on the cheap. if its around the same price, i'm in for sure!

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just remembered we carry around a huge chunk off rubber in the trunk with no ill effects. I'd still test this one out though, all rubber isn't created equal.

That being said, I would strongly suggest looking into or waiting to see if someone provides the science behind this material as a sound blocking material.

It might not do enough for the added weight. It might be hazardous in a car (ie highly flammable). Dunno, just throwing things out there.
I'm gonna put this stuff through all the backyard tests, I can, before throwing it out there.

They assured me that only premium michelin radial tires were used in the mats.:p kidding, of course!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
With a layer of asbestos, while you are at it....:rolleyes:

Have you seen the price of lead, lately;)
not to mention weight. I actualy saw this done once, before dynamat. guy lined his whole car in 1/16" lead plate. added 1200 lbs to the car :eek:

·
Registered
393 Posts
How thick? A tire won't stink up your car when it's in the trunk so as long as this stuff is made from just tire rubber it shouldn't stink at all! My girlfriend actually drove around with 4 tires in her trunk for weeks (I don't pay to scrap them, I give them to my friend who built his kids a fort out of them). WAIT, I'm an idiot, just saw 2mm :) That's about perfect! Would still be easy to sandwich between doors and such.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
the only problem with rubber is that it oxidizes over time, which wreaks havoc one glue bonds.. (weather checking..ect)

but for a beater...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
definitely interested, let us know when you have pricing.... though shipping might be a death knell for me as we are on opposite coasts....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts