DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a good amount of research and troubleshooting with some alternator whine I have, I have covered all the precautions listed in countless different articles, but this one here might have a solution and I need some opinions on it.

i have traced the noise down to coming from the headunit.

How To - Car Stereo - In Pursuit of a Noise-Free System: The Ten Commandments of Noise Prevention

i have followed all the steps up to #15

Step 15 . talks about if the amplitude of the alternator whine changes with volume control, it may be powerline noise...

The alternator whine is only audible when the volume control is above 00. When I turn the volume to zero the noise cuts off completely.

Now the system never used to have alternator whine, all this started when I started messing around with using a gmos-100I to maintain the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit... they currently are not working by the way and tech support cant figure out why, they used to work until i swapped out the head unit due to blown ground connections on the RCA which i believed to cause some noise, well that was only part of the problem.

The HU is grounded direct to chassis, about 2 1/2 feet away and the OHM between outside of RCA and HU Chassis is .2 ohm max

All this has been very frustrating and i'm getting sick of all these problems.

The fact that the alt whine is gone with the volume on 00 is odd to me, think it could be powerline noise?

opinions?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
sounds like your getting some acc switched feedback from something.
How do you have your harness wired to obtain the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the 2007 silverado I have it in has 2 stock harnesses that I plug into using a gm-lan29 (wiring harness from metra... ) That plugs into 3 different spots on the gmos-100i The gmos-100i provides the yellow and red that goes to the aftermarket harness for the HU. the gmos-100i is grounded to the headunit chassis.

Does that answer your ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts