DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm new to this forum, but I'm not exactly new to audio. Running three-way active off the 80prs, old school phase audio mids, vifa xt25 tweeters, IB jbl w15. The thing is, I have ridiculous alternator whine. I don't know how to track it down -

1. I had diode ripple in my alternator, repalced the alternator, still have whine.

2. I thought it was a pico fuse issue in the 80prs, so I got a new head unit. no resolution.

3. The curious bit: running from 3.5mm --> rca direct to the mid amp eliminates alternator noise. running rca over the seat from the head unit to the map does not. Does this mean I am down to bad connections at the head unit? I'm at a loss for what to do here, fellas.

·
Registered
17,880 Posts
its a ground loop. how are your amp grounds? what about your head units ground?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Same HU as you and I had the same issue as you described, try wiggling the RCAs in different locations while you hear the whine and see if it affects it at all. I was picking up interference from an area under the dash near the ECU(sounded just like alt whine), i rerouted the RCAs down the center console and it went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts