DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i installed my second hifonics amp, i started picking up the alternator whine and some buzzing through the speakers. I bought a stinger ground loop isolator and plugged it in between my daisy chained amps, and the whine did not change. So, i grounded the tiny little red wires that were attached to the stinger. Not much improvement, but i could live with it. I decided yesterday to put in my Knukonceptz RCAs (lowest quality but double sheilded) to replace my "BOSS" ones. After this swap, the buzzing was back, but worse. I tried an old wire harness type noise filter that i had, and nothing changed. I tried grounding my rcas, still nothing. Ive noticed that if you wiggle the rca plugs at just the right angle, the buzzing goes away, but only if you hold the plug in that position. I really dont want to pour money into this problem, but do i need a new HU? Would the Knukonceptz Krystal Kables fix my problem? What can i do?!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, so the rcas from the headunit pass through the sub amp to the 4 channel, so i disconnected the rcas from the sub amp and went straight to the 4 channel, and the music played, both amps on but no signal to the sub amp, and the noise went away. what does this mean? does that mean its a ground problem or an rca problem?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where are u wiggling the rca? at the h.u. or on the amp side?
head unit side. and im not sure if it is the cable or the connection inside of the head unit. but if it was the head unit doesnt that mean that grounding the rcas to the head unit would fix the problem? cause its just a bad connection or solder inside? is it worth opening it up to take a look? id rather not haha but i really dont want to buy a new HU

·
Registered
164 Posts
sounds like its the amp to me . if the 4 channel sounds good and when u get the signal from the mono you get the whine .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like its the amp to me . if the 4 channel sounds good and when u get the signal from the mono you get the whine .
yeah but when i plug in the brutus by itself it does have a whine either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i would rule out the h.u. if you said connecting straight to the 4 channel works fine , and yes if the noise is a ground issue yes but if the noise is something then no .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would rule out the h.u. if you said connecting straight to the 4 channel works fine , and yes if the noise is a ground issue yes but if the noise is something then no .
so would getting a distribution block for the grounds for the amps take away the ground loop therefore getting rid of the noise?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
then the whine is comming from the output side of the brtus amp .
yes but i also tried switching to HU to the 4 channel then output to the mono, and that still had the whine too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how many rca jacks does ur h.u. have ?
just one set. Thats why i daisy chained :/. I REALLY want to get a skar vvx12 so im tryin to not invest too much in other things. plus i love the sound from my amps....when theyre working XD

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
again the noise is only present when u are shareing the signal . ist hard to say. h.u rca is that on sub channel ?
it was set to rear when i had them working, i think the default is rear. but when theyre working together, it doesnt change the sound or anything when i change it to sub, just gives me the option of change sub volume, which actually doesnt work due to the chain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
changing amps is not always the solution . try to use a jumper on the rca rather than the output side on than amp .
what you mean a jumper? and how would i do that?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bump pleeeeeeeeeease

·
Registered
356 Posts
Some of the posts are hard to differentiate, but you are using one set of RCAs that when connected to one amp do not produce noise. Then when that same signal wire is connected to another amp it now makes noise. If I read that correctly it looks like its a problem with one of the amps. Whether that is a ground issue with the amp, or a problem with the amp itself, you'll need to see what is the cause.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts