DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Quick question. I. Have loud alternator whine only when I turn my hu off. After the hu is turned off,there is a 6 second delay, a pop,and then the constant whine with the idle. When I turn the hu on there is an immediate pop,and then the noise is totally gone.The pop is most likely the amp turning off and on,although it is supposed to have a feature that prevents that.Rcas are ran away from power wires. Everything else seems good. This is really the last thing I wanted to deal with. Car is 2000 deville. Hu is kenwood x995. Components jbl c608 gti mkii. Amp is soundstream ref2.640. Sub not installed til I get this solved. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
do you have the remote wire from the deck turning the amps on and off? if you turn off the HU, the amps should be turning off too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I have the remote wire connected to a switched fuse in the fusebox under the back seat. I had wondered if that may be the problem. Others had done it that way in the Deville's without any noise issues. I'll run it to the back of the HU and see if it corrects the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Actually I have the remote wire connected to a switched fuse in the fusebox under the back seat. I had wondered if that may be the problem. Others had done it that way in the Deville's without any noise issues. I'll run it to the back of the HU and see if it corrects the problem. Thanks.
It will for sure :) You can do it the way you described but often you run into this exact problem. The lazy mans way of getting around this is to just turn the radio down and never off :laugh:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
most HUs turnoff the remote wire first then power the HU down, exactl oposite when it turns on. this way startup noise is not amplified.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changed remote wire to the HU. It changed to the exact opposite. Alternator whine when hu on,none when hu off. Noticed a power and ground wire that connected to the drivers power seat that crossed the rca at a point. Tried to separate them the best I could. Anything else would consist of removing the seat. Now the noise is gone. I have a suspicion that the rcas were not plugged securely into the back of the HU. The kenwood I have has the rcas integrated into the chassis. It was extremely hard to press the rcas down fully,but I was able to. The whine is gone. Not sure what the problem was,but I'll take it. Thanks much to everyone who helped.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
oh ya. if the RCAs where not in the HU, then they had no good audio ground path. they will still get a ground from the simple fact that the HU and amp is grounded to the car. but noise is also what you get, as you saw. glad you got it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts