DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Dayton 408 that when i start the car i get "alternator whine" but goes completely away after a couple seconds.

The signal map is stock head unit, Kicker Keyloc, DSP 408, Audio Control LC 6.1200.

The audio control and the kicker both have balanced/differential connections but the Dayton is single ended. I'm using twisted pair NVX interconnects which are the perfect length for my amp board. They are not running parallel to power out ground at any point. Actually perpendicularly if anything.

Not sure how to get rid of the whine, I'm sure it's the Dayton this. If i plug the Kicker directly to the amp, is dead quiet. I tried both RCA signal sense and accessory turn on and they both have the noise present.

Any ideas how to get rid of?

I do have some home theater Monster interconnects i could use but not sure that would help or hurt.

Any input would be very appreciated,

Thanks!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Add noise filter to DSP

RCA cables too close to power cables

Bad alternator

Connect a 25vdc 4700-10000uf capacitor directly to the power/ground at the alternator
Funny, I thought about the 120v when i first installed it however i don't recall having the noise then so i left it. Guess i might just have to try that.

Damn! I haven't seen something saying radio shack in ages! Miss that darn place to be honest. I never had the noise before the Dayton piece so i don't it would be the alternator at this point but anything is possible i guess.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
shielded rca's could help potentially. Twisted are typically used for balanced signals. You could grab monoprice rca's for cheap and try them. Or just try out another set of rca external to the car to avoid noise. If powering the dayton externally (either dc or ac) than would rule out RCAs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shielded rca's could help potentially. Twisted are typically used for balanced signals. You could grab monoprice rca's for cheap and try them. Or just try out another set of rca external to the car to avoid noise. If powering the dayton externally (where that's dc or ac) than would rule out RCAs.

I had ordered those RCA interconnects as they were a perfect length to run between components. Hadn't stopped to consider the fact that Dayton isn't using balanced signal. Seems as if the noise got stronger/longer after the keyloc was put in. It also uses balanced by the way. I'll have to bring out of the attic the Monster Cable RCA's I'm not currently using to tryout. Tha t would be a really cheap fix if the does it. Although at 3 feet i'll have a lot of extra to contend with. I would only imagine they are shielded,LOL.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had ordered those RCA interconnects as they were a perfect length to run between components. Hadn't stopped to consider the fact that Dayton isn't using balanced signal. Seems as if the noise got stronger/longer after the keyloc was put in. It also uses balanced by the way. I'll have to bring out of the attic the Monster Cable RCA's I'm not currently using to tryout. Tha t would be a really cheap fix if the does it. Although at 3 feet i'll have a lot of extra to contend with. I would only imagine they are shielded,LOL.
I think the other users with noise issues with this dsp have found the issue to be with power/gnd rather than signal. Just make sure you troubleshoot each piece and rule out possibilities.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now I am getting the power and ground for it directly from my Audio control amp's power and gound inputs. Basically I've got the 4 ga from the distribution and ground blocks going into the amp and I inserted the power and ground wires to the DSP into the same input holes to provide it to the DSP. Listening to myself type that I wonder if that could be the issue itself? But wait no I don't think so as it only occurs for a couple seconds at initial start of the car. As if its happening while the DSP "boots up" after its up and running it is quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts