DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions and what would be best for abosrsbing vibrations.
i need to swap speakers for testing quite often.
My common sense is leaning towards wood as it would absorb more vibrations than alu...but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I use a pair of 3/4” Baltic Birch layers of plywood to mount my subs but they’re also well braced just beyond where the sub mounts. With a speaker, you want the most rigid mounting surface or you’ll lose efficiency. Think of it like pushing a car on the ice, you don’t get as much work done if you don’t have a solid base (traction). So if you have the option of aluminum, I’d recommend it since it is quite a bit denser (4 times by memory?) but you’ll still want 3/8” or 1/2” aluminum. You could also combine aluminum and wood for thicker baffles, which will be more stiff (better) for mounting speakers.

With all that said, you probably don’t need that for speakers, more so for subs. But overkill isn’t bad, right? :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I am palnning baffles for door 6.5" midbass.. I have tried birch ply film coated and mdf with good results but they don't last long thank a year in subzero winters.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Maybe go with UHMW plastic, which is a very dense plastic and you won’t have any issues with weather, at least not from the mounting board.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I recently had to make baffles for some 3" dash speakers. I ended up just going to Walmart and picking up a few 98 cent plastic cutting boards per some other members on here. They are very easy to cut and shape with a dremel. I can literally make baffles in about 15-30 minutes now. :) They worked perfectly. Just another option.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I recently had to make baffles for some 3" dash speakers. I ended up just going to Walmart and picking up a few 98 cent plastic cutting boards per some other members on here. They are very easy to cut and shape with a dremel. I can literally make baffles in about 15-30 minutes now. :) They worked perfectly. Just another option.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk
Yep. $20 from Target

FYI. These cutting boards are cheap sources of HDPE but typically come in thinner sizes.

Most Starboard is also HDPE. It comes in thicker sizes but is more expensive. I just purchased 5 12"x24" x 1/2" sheets off Amazon for around $100 shipped.

Also, keep in mind. HDPE can't be glued together and maintain a strong mechanical bond. You need to screw the pieces together for a good mechanical hold.

Ge0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts