DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm lucky enough to own (an older) Aston Martin DB9, it has the upgraded 950W 12.1 Linn sound system which has received a lot of flack on Aston forums, but I think it’s a bit harsh. Actually the mids, highs and imaging is pretty good - the bass however...
I've had all the trim out and was amazed to find an open frame with a 10" woofer in it - nice reflective aluminium surfaces behind with no sound absorption, and apart from leather trim nothing to enclose it in any-way!

The amplification is from a Linn amp that is reported to provide 200W RMS into the 'bass reinforcement channel'. Long story short the amp is fibre connected using a bespoke form of the MOST-bus so apart from using a Clean-sweep or more basic amped to line level converter I'm stuck with the amp. In all honesty although Linn are not renowned for car audio I have a Linn home system and I figure the amp shouldn't be too bad (except that from a driver perspective I need something that isn't going to demand power to be thrown at it to perform).

The plan - to build a custom box to replace the existing open frame in the same place and then mount the best driver I can find given the limitations I have to work with...

I've scoured forums and used WINISD to rough model various drivers, but cannot settle on one - so I'm looking for ideas, people with drivers that know what they sound like, etc. to help me make the choice.

Happy to invest, so Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 slims were one I looked at but a bit concerned as to the price - is it really going to be quality for that money??

Anyway, here are the main criteria;

• Max 10" wide (trim will not accommodate any more)
  • Mounting depth is a max of about 130mm
  • Enclosure will have to be sealed and initial calcs put it at a max of around 18l (I will obviously use polyfil etc. to cheat as much as I can)
  • I reckon in reality I'll have about 150W to drive it
  • Existing driver Re is about 3.1 Ohms

The 12.1 system has mid bass already that on rough measurement goes down to about 50Hz relatively flat - so looking to extend as low as I can under that. I’m looking for good SQ but as I can change the cut-off frequency using the head unit I will compromise for decent SPL if forced to.

So, what's your thoughts? Shallow mounts are the first place I looked - the Pioneers, Alpine SWR-T10 (put off by reports that it needs a fair amount of power to perform), Phoenix Gold SL10D2, etc.) - but I figre there max be some conventional subs with better Xmax that will squeeze in??

Anyway, any help or thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks

·
18,696 Posts
I have the alpine 10" shallow in my wife's car on about 0.38 cubes stuffed and sealed. It performs well for what you'd expect. Realistically, you will just not get much LFE from a small sun in a small box. However, it gets down to 50hz quite well and plays 40hz well with some EQ help.
I'm powering it off a JL XD600/6; 200w for the sub channel bridged.

I'd recommend this sub as it fits your criterion I believe and IMO is probably one of te best slim subs currently available and in my research was the one that could squeeze in to such a small box. Final alignment (qtc) is measured at about 0.69 in my enclosure. I don't know of another sub that can do that in such a small box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, for the input Bikinpunk and it is a big help to have thoughts from someone that actually has first-hand experience of a potential driver.

I was almost sold on the Alpine at one point but modelled in WINISD it didn't look as strong as I'd expected. The Pioneer and Phoenix Gold drivers both look to go lower in the enclosure volume I have to work in and their SPL looks significantly higher at 35 / 40hz.

Realistically as you say I'm not going to achieve (nor do I want) ground shaking low bass with what space I have to work with, but with mid bass going down to 50hz pretty well any sub will need to go lower with some presence to have any point in doing anything.

As a very rough and general rule of thumb I've been looking for a high QES (FS is going to be similar so I figure the higher the QES the better the suitability factor for a sealed enclosure is going to be), then a small VAS so the ideal enclosure volume is going to be on the smaller size. Anyone got any comment on this 'finger in the air' way to selecting prospective drivers?

The box Bikinpunk noted it obviously close to a Qtc of 0.7, so response will be very flat (especially for such a small box) and is indeed impressive for the volumes involved, but I figure that as I'm looking for 'bass reinforcement', and as I'm able to regulate the amount of 'bass reinforcement' with ease from the HU, I could afford to take Qtc higher than 0.7 if it gave me extra bass extension as a result. However, the Pioneers take this beyond were I feel it is sensible to go as Qtc would be 1.23 in my box!! Boomy uncontrolled bass it what I fear as a result.

If the T-S are right on the manufacturers data then the Pheonix Gold SL10D2 would deliver a Qtc of 0.86 (I'm thinking acceptable), but run 83db @ 35Hz, compared with 78db @ 35hz with the Alpine. Given db is obviously a logarithmic scale I'm thinking the SPL is going to be noticeable?

Happy to be shot down in flames, or ideally some alternate drivers that I haven’t considered that are a potential good fit would be nice too :)...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and I forgot to mention the boot / trunk is not an option as it is a) small anyway, b) separated from the cabin my a significant aluminium bulkhead (just to prove I popped an old Sony A/V home cinema sub in there with leads trailing out, fired it up and had reasonable bass from it but almost none translated to the cabin :().

Ideas please, lots of them if possible as I need a killer small enclosure sub that's 10" or less and happy to pay a reasonable premium for something that works as I don’t want to be doing this again...

At the moment I have a convincing vote for the Alpine slim (and to be fair that's from a well-respected and knowledgeable individual in bikinpunk), and a WINISD plot supporting a Phoenix Gold slim - come on there must be other options I need to consider :confused:??!!

Any opinions or ideas would be really welcome - need more input on this before making a decision...

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts