DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased one of these for testing purposes and found them to be one of the best SQ subs I have heard and with the bonus of REALLY nice output.

I then purchased a few more to offer on here as I really think they are THAT good.

I tested in a 1.3ft^3 sealed enclosure and the sub hit hard and extremely fast. It was articulate and VERY linear. Smooth and powerful. Low distortion.

It is pretty massive (weighs 35lbs and 7.75" Deep) and should have a huge Xmax number, if it was available. Thiel had a 1200 watt amp on this when they used it in their sub system. For my testing, I used an ARC KS1200.1 at 4 ohm (so about 650 watts) and it never was under any stress. This sub has a black anodized aluminum cone.

Anyway, here are the measured T/S Parameters...
R(e)= 3.8483 Ohms
F(s)= 41.72 Hz
Q(ts)= 0.5757
Q(es)= 0.6088
Q(ms)= 10.59
V(as) = 27.34

Grinder was able to put together some ported options in this post (#20)......

I have 6 Brand New and 1 lightly used. If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.

I am asking $300/shipped to your door in the US48 for the new ones and $275/shipped for the lightly used one.

I accept PayPal: [email protected] (underscore between jerry and hdma)

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention these are single 4ohm voice coil and look to be VERY well made. A couple member have already purchased one from me and I haven't heard a single complaint. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
“I tested in a 1.3ft^3 sealed enclosure and the sub hit hard and extremely fast.”
How did you measure how “fast” it is?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
FYI, these subs use the same basket as the CSS Audio SDX12, but the high roll surround suggests a much greater xmax.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
“I tested in a 1.3ft^3 sealed enclosure and the sub hit hard and extremely fast.”
How did you measure how “fast” it is?
People complain all the time that a larger subwoofer is slow. We all know this is a product of the enclosure, not the size of the speaker. In 1.3ft^3 every note is felt on a double kick passage with authority. It is a really clean, low distortion, really controlled woofer.

·
Old Schooler
189 Posts
I'm familiar with the THIEL name from my high end home audio addiction of years past, so I'm not surprised that they have their name on a very good driver.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Must resist temptation to purchase, must resist spending more money on car audio.

I think I will know what I will be doing with BassBox Pro tomorrow. I like ported configurations over sealed but the ts parameters seem better suited to sealed by fist glance at those parameters. Qts and fs are higher than I think I like.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Pardon my ignorance here, I apologize in advance. Would these interface well in an automobile? I know a well built sealed enclosure is a well built sealed, car or home shouldnt matter but I have to ask.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tested them in my demo car and they sounded great. Thick Rubber surround and Aluminum cone, no issues. Home subs have been used in the car without issues a ton, especially on this forum. Hell, the Dynaudio e1200 is just a different frame with all the same parts of the home sub.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
“I used an ARC KS1200.1 at 4 ohm (so about 650 watts)”

based using this statement, I’m going to guess 4ohm

1 - 20 of 43 Posts