DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people using for lighting up amp racks? Looking to eventually add some lighting in my trunk, will be under a false floor, behind a plexi window, but not sure what lighting I should be looking for.

Searching 12v lighting doesn't return anything that's actually useful.

Thanks.

· Registered
7,936 Posts
Watching as I’m wanting to have wrap around lighting in my trunk when it opens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
411 Posts
LED strip lighting is the most common method since it's flexible and can be cut to length. It's most often found is 5 meter lengths on a roll, but there are specific locations to cut the strip to fit your application. 12 volt and 24 volt rolls are available, but you'll want to skip the 24 volt variety for obvious reasons. If you want to be able to change the color output, you'll need an RGB led strip. If you want white light, you'll need to determine which white color temperature (Kelvin) that looks best to you. Warm yellow light is a 3000K color temp (like old Christmas mini lights). Daylight white light is about 4000 - 5000K (such as most LED running lights in cars).

Without seeing your specific setup, it's hard to determine what is best suited for your application. You can even run polymer fiber (think fiber optics) where the tiny fiber serves as a star in a headliner. Another option is a thin wire (about 1mm wide) that is electroluminescent wire (EL wire for short). This would be useful around small drivers (like a midrange driver for example). EL wire is commonly used in new vehicles as mood lighting around dash and door panels.

There are a lot of options, and a good place to look around is: Superbrightleds.com

· Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've used EL wire before (used it in a Deadmau5 helmet) didn't consider that for the trunk, even though it makes sense.

I think though, that an RGB strip will work perfectly for what I'm wanting to do. The amps are beneath a hinged trunk floor, at the side of a recessed area that the lighting can go into where it'll remain fairly hidden and tidy, but illuminate the area I want to nicely.

· Registered
2014 Toyota Avalon Limited
459 Posts

This is what I used in my car. I knew I was only going to use blue, red or white so I didn’t get a controller. The only negative is the adhesive on the strip sucks so you’ll need another way to attach it. For attaching it to wood I just use a staple gun with light pressure so it doesn’t pinch. A 36” strip under the rear deck is more than enough to light up my entire trunk and I used a small dab of super glue every 6-8” or so to keep it secured.

Reactions: naiku

· Registered
2,014 Posts
I've bought from here many times.

Bought several dark blue strips for my truck.
One was closer to aqua-marine.
Called, and the woman walked out back, grabbed another from the bin, and checked to verify color all while talking to me!
Free replacement was in my mail box 2 days later.

· Registered
2010 HHR
1,791 Posts
One time I got 16' of green for $4 on eBay. Wired under lights on both sides of my car with it. 12v direct wire.

Rgb with remote is usually a little more. Ross dress for less used to have tons of these. Not much around my area anymore though. You might have better luck though.

The question is, do you want rgb or single color?

Sleeve Font Publication Material property Electronic device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.