DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I just purchased this amp: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...6570&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT (it's duplicate,) off of Ebay to run my active front stage set up that I'm planning.

Now I"m looking for a sub amp. I've found a matching Xtant 2100B that makes 200 watts bridged at 4 ohm mono. Would this be enough power to run one of the Peerless XXX 12" subs?

My other option is a JBL GTS600 that makes 600 watts mono at 4 ohms. I know more power is better, but cosmetically, I'd prefer the matching amps.

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Registered
575 Posts
the jump from 200-600 watts would be considerable,if matching old school xtant amps is a big concern you can try to locate a xtant 2200i wich is 2 by 100 and around 400w bridged, rtl price in 96 was 849.00, 9.7w by 1.5 by 18.5 in. long so might be more exp used,but the trade off would be worth it,nice old school amps!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Second question: Will the 45x4 Xtant that I bought be enough to run the Dayton Rs tweets and 7" midbass, or should I bridge the amp to 2 channel, (180w at 4 ohms,) to run just the midbass, and try to pick up another amp for the tweets.

Thanks again,

-Ben

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,970 Posts
bfrance said:
Thanks for the input. Second question: Will the 45x4 Xtant that I bought be enough to run the Dayton Rs tweets and 7" midbass, or should I bridge the amp to 2 channel, (180w at 4 ohms,) to run just the midbass, and try to pick up another amp for the tweets.

Thanks again,

-Ben
In my opinion, you should bridge it for the 90 or so watts rms at 8 ohms for the midbass and buy another amp for the tweeters. With more power on hand it helps keep the system linear at all volumes. You wouldn't want to run out of power when you want to crank the system and you don't want to loss detail at lower volumes.

Hopes this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Here-I-Come said:
In my opinion, you should bridge it for the 90 or so watts rms at 8 ohms for the midbass and buy another amp for the tweeters. Mark
x2

I'm running a 404M right now, and as I said in the other thread, bridged Ive never had a problem, but running 4 channel is just not enough juice for the rs225's.

Plus, Xtants are so damn cheap - $100 for quality amp for mids leaves plenty for a small tweeter amp.

-aaron

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback once again. I was assuming that I'd be better off bridging the 4 channel for the mid-bass.

For the tweets, I have two options. I've located a duplicate to the amp I just bought for the same price. I've also found a 50x2 (4 ohm) Xtant that I think is a cheaper/newer series for 69.00. Which would be better for the tweets?

Thanks,

-Ben

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,970 Posts
bfrance said:
Thanks for the feedback once again. I was assuming that I'd be better off bridging the 4 channel for the mid-bass.

For the tweets, I have two options. I've located a duplicate to the amp I just bought for the same price. I've also found a 50x2 (4 ohm) Xtant that I think is a cheaper/newer series for 69.00. Which would be better for the tweets?

Thanks,

-Ben
Well both would work nice, but if you buy the other 4 channel xtant to match you will have the extra channels if every decide to run a 3 setup or you could run a sub on the two channels bridged. Now that does go against what I do most of the time and what I believe in :rolleyes: , but it will work. It's all depends on how loud you want the sub system to play. 180 watts rms well work very well for most sub rated from 100-500 watts rms.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like the other 4 channel is the best way to go. Also, I suppose I could always buy a bigger sub-amp later and use the back two channels to run, *gulp*, some rear fill if I end up needing it.

Do you think there will be a big discrepancy running 90 watts (8 ohm) to the mids and 45 to the tweets?

Keep the feedback coming, I really appreciate it!

-Ben

·
Registered
96 Posts
I plan on powering my front stage with 50 wrms per channel. I drive a 95 civic and don't feel like tossing loads of cash in upgrading the electrical system. I guess it just depends on how loud you want to go. I'm pretty sure that 50 wrms will get me where I want to be.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,970 Posts
bfrance said:
It sounds like the other 4 channel is the best way to go. Also, I suppose I could always buy a bigger sub-amp later and use the back two channels to run, *gulp*, some rear fill if I end up needing it.

Do you think there will be a big discrepancy running 90 watts (8 ohm) to the mids and 45 to the tweets?

Keep the feedback coming, I really appreciate it!

-Ben

You will be fine. No discrepancy. What tweeters are you going to run.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
FWIW the Xtant should be underrated too. I read someone on ECA bench the Xtant 404M model like I'm running at something like 75Wx4 vs rated 50x4 - or over [email protected] bridged. Pop her open, and I can believe it. The ARC 4150 I have doesn't look significantly more built at all. In any case, most USA old-school amps should definately be underpowered - so you're fine by all means running that bridged to mids.

-aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.