Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a kicker 10in comp sub
4ohm
300watt peak 150watt rms

And a planet audio amp
500watt peak @ 2 ohm per channel
350watt rms @ 2 ohm per channel
700watt rms @ 4 ohm bridged

Can I hook the sub up to a channel since its 4 ohm and it half the wattage and still work?
What would you suggest?
Very new and need help

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
700 watts into a 150 watt sub and you will have sub swiss cheese. :p

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
that is still 350 watts into a 150 watt sub. be very carefull with the volume knob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And It was my understanding from minimal researcher that since the channel was 300 at 2 ohm since the sub was 4 it would half the wattage.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
ah, did not see that is was listing 2 ohm. most amplifiers rate at 4ohms. in that case, you are lokoing at about 175watts into a 150watt sub. should be fine.

seems like a waste though. half the amplifier will go unused.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm getting it from a friend of mine for $75 for the pair so I don't really have a choice and am tight on money or I'd go crazy

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would connect it bridged anyways. If you set the gain correctly you can hook a 100 watt subwoofer to a 1000 watt amplifier and have no problems.

Keep in mind Kicker subs generally like ported boxes, and large ones at that. So box selection is going to be important to make sure you don't exceed the woofers mechanical limits and possibly cause damage. Those subwoofers in a properly tuned ported box can handle quite a bit more power than rated for short bursts.

And here's the real funny thing. You really won't blow it up so easily. From the specs you list I'm deducing you have the Planet Audio AC1000.2 That thing has a 20 amp fuse. It has 700 ILS watts (if lightning strikes).

I actually own the single channel AC1500.1 and it's rated at "1100" watts RMS. Not on your life. I've measured mine and it outputs a real life 250 watts RMS. Considering similar amp architecture, mine uses a 25 amp fuse. The AC1000.2 uses a 20 amp fuse. Just by simple calculation your amp would put out only about 200 watts.

You should be safe.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It'll come with instructions on how to run bridged. It's pretty obvious and labeled on the amp also. Just connect the sub to the bridged terminals according to the instructions. As for the subwoofer. Most people here build a box to suit the subwoofer since it's very rare that an off the shelf box would fit the subwoofer's parameters. They're almost always tuned too high.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8389_Sonic-Sub-Box-1SV10-BLACK-CARPET.html

But if you're on a budget I suppose this box is the least expensive that happens to be an appropriate size for the subwoofer. I have no idea about the tuning frequency. Probably around 40-45 hz as that's what these box makers tend to tune for for maximum output. I suppose with as little realistic wattage you're going to get out of the AC1000.2 you'll have decent output with that box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts