1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to bi-amp them.

I have two options in terms of amplifier power:

Option 1.

The tweeter is running off Kenwood head unit power (rated 22watt RMS, probably a lot less in reality) with an appropriate inline capacitor. The mid is receiving 140watts RMS.

Option 2.

The the mid and the tweeter each have 70watts of RMS power.

The goals (as expected) are: clean distortion free sound with good clarity at moderate to moderate high volume level. The tweeter is slightly off axis (30 degree right, 60 degree left) in door sails.

You may wonder why I have these options. Option 1 is a large 4-channel amplifier (probably PPI Phantom), with rear channels bridged for subwoofer. Option 2 is a 5-channel amplifier with 4 x 70watt RMS channels (probably PPI Phantom or Boston Acoustics GTA). Both cost the same. As you know 5-channel amplifiers are a little weak on power for individual speaker channels, but who knows, maybe that's enough for HAT drivers... Of course, I could just buy the 5-channel amplifier and try it. If the option 1 turns out to be more desirable, I could bridge its channels, though I prefer not to do that... am I being unreasonable?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.. but I think the Kenwood is a step down in terms of performance/price from say PPI. 300watt RMS would be enough for the sub (either 2 or 4 ohm), although I wouldn't mind running 400-500watt RMS to it. I am working on an ultra budget project..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts