DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Alpine pdx and JL HD for their size, but will either keep their 4 ohm rated power output driving a 16 ohm speaker? Maybe they both will, anyone know for sure?:confused:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
know they wont...4ohm rating is just that, for 4ohms....8ohm is estimated 1/2 and 16ohms estimated 1/4 (for arguement sake) Get the most powerful amp for those 2118Js ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good to know! I've had similar plans (for some 16ohm compression drivers), but always wondered ever since I saw a post here from someone saying they called Alpine about running 8 ohm speakers and were told that the power output still didn't drop at 8 ohms. Don't take that as gospel though....I sure didn't.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I'd bridge a 2 channel on them, that way you'd only lose about 1/2 the rated power.

Just as an example. If you had a 100 watt per channel amp, you'd only get roughly 25 watts per channel out of into a 16 ohm load. Now if you bridged that amp same amp, you get about 100 watts to that 16 ohm load.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Bridge a JL 600/4HD. It makes rated bridged power(300x2) from as low as 3ohms and up to 8ohms. So in theory, you should end up with ~150x2 @ 16ohms. BTW, It was nice to meet you today.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bridge a JL 600/4HD. It makes rated bridged power(300x2) from as low as 3ohms and up to 8ohms. So in theory, you should end up with ~150x2 @ 16ohms. BTW, It was nice to meet you today.
Good to meet you guys too. You come up with a good price yet? Just PM
me when you do.
thanks

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I got a good deal on some JBL 2118Js. They could be reconed to 8ohm, but
I'd rather not if I don't have to.
Yeah, then you may wast something big and bridged, even though they ARE rather efficient, keep this in mind... the old 3 dB of sensitivity equals rule ;)

Reason I asked is that if it were compression drivers then you could go smaller, it don't take much to wake those up at all.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I kinda got a number in mind, but let me make some calls tomorrow to find out about the sheet metal fab work first. I'll PM you then.

I wouldn't use an Accumatch unless it's used only as a last resort.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Arent the accumatch devices for providing increased voltage to amps? no increasing an amps power?
You are thinking of an Accuvolt by Jacobs Electronics. Accumatches are OS devices to change the impedance of speakers.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've never quite figured those things out.
Me either. I tried some in the 90's when they were popular. We tried everything to get it to sound right, but nothing worked until we took them out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.